Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411581 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 08:06:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTiny Tires! - Micro Machines-inspired Racing Game
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Tiny Tires! - Micro Machines-inspired Racing Game  (Read 14991 times)
Earthling
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 01:12:48 PM »

I've never played any 90s arcade racers, but I'm definitely looking forward to this.
jeandenishaas
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 06:52:02 PM »

Looks really appealing! I'm already sold on it.

Would love to make a game, but where do I find the time?!
www.jeandenis.net
jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2014, 02:37:18 AM »

Thanks! I'm counting on you all to try out the playable alpha I'll put out soon. Sooooooon. Very soooon...  My Word!

Put up a quick devlog at devlog.tinytires.com

redplanet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2014, 02:43:28 AM »

I absolutely loved playing Micro Machines in the 90's (#2: Turbo Tournament on the Mega Drive... the wasted hours on that!). This looks like it could be good fun! Plenty of locations for courses and so many obstacles to put in the game.

There was also a game called Ignition on the PC in the late 90's that was sort of similar (in that the birds-eye view made the vehicles look 'micro') - I think there may have been an option in that to have a lower view, not quite directly behind the vehicle itself but hovered above it. Anyway, it might give you some ideas - plenty of image results if you google 'ignition pc game'.
jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2014, 02:55:24 AM »

Oh, yay! Youtube finally rolled out 60fps uploading. So here is the alpha footage reuploaded with silky smooth 60 frames per second

« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 04:11:35 AM by jonkk » Logged

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2014, 02:58:41 AM »

Niiice video man! 60fps looks awesome Smiley

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2014, 04:28:32 AM »

Looking really nice man, love the whole vibe, and the little touches like the pencil shavings appearing when you hit the sharpener..

One thing I'm less keen on is the way the cars appear on the track, It feels like they're floating a little and not "glued" to the road.. If that makes sense, when they turn they sort of tilt from the middle which to me looks a bit funny and makes them feel a little disconnected from the world they sit in. I'm assuming this was a stylistic choice to emphasise the 3d feel? but It makes it feel a little loose when I watch the video, whilst I actually expcet the game to be super tight

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2014, 05:45:19 AM »

Looking really nice man, love the whole vibe, and the little touches like the pencil shavings appearing when you hit the sharpener..

One thing I'm less keen on is the way the cars appear on the track, It feels like they're floating a little and not "glued" to the road.. If that makes sense, when they turn they sort of tilt from the middle which to me looks a bit funny and makes them feel a little disconnected from the world they sit in. I'm assuming this was a stylistic choice to emphasise the 3d feel? but It makes it feel a little loose when I watch the video, whilst I actually expcet the game to be super tight

Thanks for the feedback! Smiley It wasn't so much to emphasise the 3d, but more just trying to emulate the look of the sideways forces pushing the chassis of the cars a little when they're turning. Maybe I'll tone the effect down a bit. I still need to put a bit of ambient occlusion underneath the cars, to make them feel more grounded, maybe that'll help make it more clear that the tires are actually still touching the ground when the chassis tilts.

I actually never gave it much thought, because when I implemented the effect it looked so good when looking at it from a ground perspective, but you're totally right it does make them look a bit floaty from the top-down view. It'll look ace in the replays, though......  Gentleman

godDLL
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2015, 06:15:35 PM »

Hey, could you please post an "UPDATE: project status, what's next"
for the benefit of folks that visit here.

jonkk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2018, 07:38:52 AM »

Update!

I finally started working on this again. Made some new assets, updated some track code and am glad to be back working on Tiny Tires, finally. Smiley

Here's a little video with the more snazzy-lookin' track visuals.

I also finally went and modelled the underside of the car, but actually ended up remodeling the whole car. Here's the updated chassis in-game:

I discovered Substance Painter, which means my workflow for making textures and baking the normals has gotten much easier. It's a lot of fun, although there's a lot of new things I'm learning.

As for behind-the-scenes stuff. Did a lot of updates to the spline that controls the track mesh. First off, I finally realised that I should be using arcs to make the turns more circular instead of trying to approximate a circle with a spline..

And I made it so I can easily align anything to the track spline.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 07:51:24 AM by jonkk » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic