Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411667 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 08:41:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Gesture drawings anyone?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gesture drawings anyone?  (Read 5194 times)
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2010, 06:31:56 PM »

A while back Derek posted a thread where people were doing gesture drawings. I can't seem to find it with the search button though..  Shrug

Anyway, I decided I'm going to do a couple 5 minute sets per day at posemaniacs.com and post them here. 30 seconds per pose = 10 figures per set. I'd be pleased as punch if anyone else wanted to join in. I'm not very good at this so critique is welcome. Here's my first set. I started in the upper left and proceeded right, bottom right is the very last one.

PS. You are all very attractive individuals and I think that outfit looks stunning on you today. Giggle
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 06:04:34 AM by jotapeh » Logged
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 08:02:25 PM »

Holy crap this is hard, I did 60 second intervals, next time ill do 45 then speed it up more

jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 06:23:21 AM »

Some of those are pretty good, Landshark. You can actually tell what most of the poses are supposed to be, and they're fairly complete, which is a success in my books.

But yeah, these are hella tough.. I did a round this morning and realized I had a lucky streak last night WTF But I'm going to stick to 30 second intervals for these sessions, then maybe do more comprehensive 'studies' in between.

Gonna keep doing them one in the morning, one at night, then I'll post my progress at the end of the week Smiley
dongle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 06:00:23 PM »

Thanks for the link to that posemaniacs site. I go to some figure drawing classes from time to time but the internet is good for more practice in between sessions.

Jetrel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 03:31:09 AM »

Thanks for the link to that posemaniacs site. I go to some figure drawing classes from time to time but the internet is good for more practice in between sessions.

Many artists will disagree with me, but I find photos much better for beginners than live models, because you're locking one huge, incredibly difficult variable - stabilizing your 3d->2d projection.

As an artist, looking at a real 3d, flesh-and-blood person, you move around.  They move around.  Moving your head just a foot in one direction can complete obscure a feature that would otherwise get drawn (such as a hand that's now behind, rather than poking out from behind, their torso).  So as you draw, you end up drawing from multiple different perspectives - oops.  This is really a difficult thing to master in itself, and it's best if you don't have to deal with it whilst you're trying to master several other really complicated skills at the same time.

It's kinda like trying to master some complex martial-arts combo by just diving in and trying to do the final move, rather than breaking it down and learning the separate punches and kicks that make it up, beforehand.
miascugh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 04:41:36 AM »

As an artist, looking at a real 3d, flesh-and-blood person, you move around.  They move around.  Moving your head just a foot in one direction can complete obscure a feature that would otherwise get drawn (such as a hand that's now behind, rather than poking out from behind, their torso).  So as you draw, you end up drawing from multiple different perspectives - oops.

From what I've been told, but what I also can vaguely confirm from my own experience, that's very much the point. Live drawing, and more specifically that of the human body, offers a greater (the greatest possible) bandwidth of information, not merely visual, but about the parameters of anatomical configurations if you will (preferably doing it more than once in one session with the same model but different povs and poses, as well as with different models over time), that are sucked up in the process as well. It's a sort of plastic understanding, the endorsement of which is more limited in 2-dimensional photographic referencing, and is more.. effective in the learning experience so to speak. In the courses I've attended they also emphasized completing volumetrically distinguishable segments/their contours in as little strokes as possible, so as to give the brain the opportunity to memorize the shape data as opposed to a series of pen-strokes rather (as well as clinging to blocking, i.e. starting out rough, going into detail iteratively). Which is very prone to unrewarding, deformed outcomes at first, but supposedly is a very useful step to make in getting gestalt on your side.

In exercise you're never under the obligation to deliver perfect results, in fact that's paradoxical. Using static references, on the other hand, supports this certain tendency to perfectionism and the fear of making "mistakes", which in learning and progression is not exactly a good thing. I believe.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 08:26:23 AM »

Wow. That's some crazy good information. It also forced me to wikipedia "gestalt" as it did not mean what I thought it meant. Awesome.
Squiggly_P
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 07:29:40 PM »

Posemaniacs is really useful, but the lack of body types and the often bizarre angles kinda sucks. There's also this site:
http://www.pixelovely.com/tools/gesture.html
Just be aware that it uses nude photos, and so is not safe for work unless you turn those off.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 11:10:39 AM »

Welp, one week of gesture drawing later, here is today's most recent effort at 30 seconds per pose:

One thing I really tried to focus on was fewer 'sketchy' lines, and I think I did that pretty well. That said I'm still having trouble completing the whole pose in time, especially the odd angled ones.

That said I really feel like I know a LOT more about proportion and the general 'flow' of the human body already, though I have a long ways to go of course Tongue

Posemaniacs is really useful, but the lack of body types and the often bizarre angles kinda sucks. There's also this site:
http://www.pixelovely.com/tools/gesture.html
Just be aware that it uses nude photos, and so is not safe for work unless you turn those off.

Thanks a lot for that, Squiggly_P. I actually tried this site out a few times during the week and I quite enjoy it, although it is less SFW than posemaniacs. Animal poses are wicked too though. Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic