Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411570 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 07:53:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSaturated Dreamers
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31
Print
Author Topic: Saturated Dreamers  (Read 95274 times)
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #500 on: October 22, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »

Ok
Yeah i was asking the amount of money
ANyway you can always pay with the sells the artist , you give him or her a sharing revenue.

Anyway i'm tracking this thread , making the art cut scenes for this game can be interesting.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #501 on: October 22, 2013, 04:18:16 PM »

yeah the shared revenue is how i was doing it, but even with that artists tend to draw something and then vanish / get too busy. so i think up front money (with a kickstarter) will make artists less likely to disappear. so far two artists so far from this forum and one artist who i knew from elsewhere said they'd do the cutscene art, and started it, made a few pictures, and then vanished/abandoned it

and what they made was really good and i want to still use some of it, especially lurk's portraits and intro cutscene stuff (which are really great), but i worry about contrasting styles too (the other parts of the art like the tiles and sprites are all finished, this is just for illustrations of story scenes)

and i do think you're very good and like your style, so you are one possibility. i'll contact you after i do a kickstarter and let you know how much i could pay you

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #502 on: October 22, 2013, 11:39:18 PM »

yeah the shared revenue is how i was doing it, but even with that artists tend to draw something and then vanish / get too busy. so i think up front money (with a kickstarter) will make artists less likely to disappear. so far two artists so far from this forum and one artist who i knew from elsewhere said they'd do the cutscene art, and started it, made a few pictures, and then vanished/abandoned it

and what they made was really good and i want to still use some of it, especially lurk's portraits and intro cutscene stuff (which are really great), but i worry about contrasting styles too (the other parts of the art like the tiles and sprites are all finished, this is just for illustrations of story scenes)

and i do think you're very good and like your style, so you are one possibility. i'll contact you after i do a kickstarter and let you know how much i could pay you

Well okay
I'm not the kind who vanish
If i have to vanish i'll tell you and we gonna agree , i'll delete my work or something and return the money.

Anyway , if you hire some artist , one great advice : try to tell the exact number of drawing you want
So we can be prepared and accept or refuse.

If you want for example 15 drawing for cutscenes , then stick to it , if you want more , you should pay more accordingly etc etc

I think you maybe know this since your experience in the videogaming is there , but i always say that in case of...

Thanks for thinking about me , good luck for the kickstarter.

Also if you have several styles , you can deal with that
For example you choose a style for the cutscenes , and you choose another one for the avatar drawing for example.
You categorize , so it's possible , it will make sense  and yeah try avoid several artist doing cutscenes it could be weird.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 15, 2013, 10:55:47 AM »

sooo hows it going

play hydlide 2
ink.inc
« Reply #504 on: November 15, 2013, 11:16:18 AM »

come to our g-hangs more sean; pauls always working on this in there
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #505 on: November 15, 2013, 11:17:03 AM »

right now i'm still working on normalizing the frequency of use of the ambient soundscapes across all areas -- in other words, there are some soundscapes that are used too much, and some used rarely or not at all, so i'm replacing some of the ones that are used too often with the ones that are used less often; this is a fairly time-consuming process that probably nobody would even care about anyway, and may be a perfectionist thing, but i don't like the idea of having worked hard to make a soundscape and then have it only show up in 1 or 2 areas out of 1000, while other soundscapes are like in 80 of those 1000 areas

but yeah if you want to see me work on the game in real time come to the google hangouts

ink.inc
« Reply #506 on: November 15, 2013, 11:18:58 AM »

like RIGHT NOW
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #507 on: November 15, 2013, 01:45:35 PM »

this will never be released right?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #508 on: November 15, 2013, 03:54:10 PM »

it's pretty close to release, but still lots of stuff to do; i'd say it's 96.8% done

Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: November 15, 2013, 05:19:38 PM »

is that number grounded on an elaborate plan oran educated guess?
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #510 on: November 15, 2013, 06:07:34 PM »

Fez didn't have a several million dollar budget.

@doomlaser, mark johns
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #511 on: November 15, 2013, 06:15:17 PM »

Fez didn't have a several million dollar budget.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/134934/the_making_of_fez_the_breaking_of_.php?print=1

is that number grounded on an elaborate plan oran educated guess?

based on my task list system, discussed earlier in this thread and logged at http://rinku.livejournal.com

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: December 24, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »

quick update!

about a month ago i made a fun visualization to go along with the game's 'sound/music test' feature, here's a screenshot (obviously it wasn't completely finished when i took this screenshot, the GUI elements in particular, but you get the idea)

i just thought it was neat to have a visual representation of the spectrum/frequency data for a sound as it's being played, the way some other games do (such as the tri-ace games, tales of phantasia, etc.)

more recently, over the last month i've been working on the second draft of the game's dialogue/story. this involves printing out all ~320 pages of it (2 pages per sheet so as to save paper), and marking down changes to improve the writing, making several major changes to the story that i think will improve it, fixing contradictions in the story, planning out a few new scenes would improve the story, and making a list of the story scenes that i want to illustrate, among other things

this is a slow process but i'm about halfway through that process. the end result, hopefully, will be a much tighter story that makes more sense. our games have always been known for their writing/story quality (particularly immortal defense and fedora spade), so i want to be especially sure that we don't disappoint people in that regard; my own goal is to meet or exceed the quality of some of my favorite sci-fi novels, not just to have 'a good story for a game' (while also taking advantage of the unique aspects of stories in games, such as interactivity -- there are currently seven endings, and the order of the story is mostly non-linear)

it also might interest people to know that my "task list" for finishing the game, which started at 840 items several years ago, is now down to only *10* items. the writing revising is of course one of those ten. most of these ten are fairly big items, but the game is close to completion

aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 24, 2013, 06:28:20 PM »

right on man. 's on my list of games to pick up. looks unique.

mrBlack
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #514 on: December 24, 2013, 06:37:03 PM »

it also might interest people to know that my "task list" for finishing the game, which started at 840 items several years ago, is now down to only *10* items. the writing revising is of course one of those ten. most of these ten are fairly big items, but the game is close to completion

That's great!  Congrats on getting this far.  I can't wait to play it.

Any idea on a specific time frame when the game will be done?

Dev Log: Lejendary Dev Log
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: December 24, 2013, 06:55:12 PM »

my predictions are notoriously wrong. however, here's my current timeline that i think is realistic

january - finish the writing/revising task, and start working with an artist to illustrate the story scenes (by providing them with a list and so on)

february - do several of the remaining crucial tasks -- in particular, the improving the endgame sequence task, the improving the intro task, and the creature helpfulness task

march/april - start beta testing, and do most of the remaining tasks, and adapt the game to playtester feedback

may - do a kickstarter and a greenlight, and start taking pre-orders with early access

june/july - finish up all remaining tasks, including finishing the art for the cutscenes, fix any bugs on the bug list, make a trailer, begin marketing, and release

august+ - marketing and post-release patches for things that come up after release

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: December 24, 2013, 07:22:50 PM »

So KS in this plan, is just a marketing/pre-order system?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #517 on: December 24, 2013, 07:47:46 PM »

no, it's also a way to pay an artist to illustrate the cutscenes, among other things

Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: December 24, 2013, 08:17:53 PM »

Ah makes sense, just don't think I've seen KS used so close to a game release like that before. Good luck Smiley

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #519 on: December 25, 2013, 10:51:16 AM »

actually we already had a kickstarter for SD back in 2009. it was the second game ever successfully backed on kickstarter or something like that. but the $1500 we got obviously wasn't enough to fund 6 years of development

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 31
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic