Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411674 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 17, 2024, 06:15:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralIGF Thread 2012
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 89
Print
Author Topic: IGF Thread 2012  (Read 163066 times)
rogerlevy
« Reply #1680 on: March 13, 2012, 09:56:39 AM »

indie games were more enjoyable before the igf existed.

they were more personal. now they're just other games.

i've always thought that devs do not need a contest to be innovative.  it just motivates them to win the contest, not to make great games.
jotapeh
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: March 13, 2012, 10:24:48 AM »

the igf started in 1999, which is before most of you even knew what indie games were, let alone made them

I posit that I made indie games before I learned what they "were" or "are" or whatever the fuck that nebulous term is supposed to mean

because you know, as a kid: I made games, by myself. I think that counts.
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1682 on: March 13, 2012, 10:43:13 AM »

I think that counts.
Of course Smiley

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1683 on: March 13, 2012, 11:11:14 AM »

“Up next: me,” says Phil. He says he couldn’t think of anything, so he’s taking requests from the audience. Someone asks him what the most important thing about Fez is for him, and he fumbles a bit before exclaiming that this was a stupid idea.

Someone then shouts out “What’s wrong with the IGF?” Which is probably the best thing that could have happened at this point. The rant begins.

“IGF is broken! ”[Pixeljunk] Eden should not be nominated for IGF." Phil says the rules for entry are “hell” of vague. “I have a problem with a guy entering IGF who created Star Fox for fuck’s sake. What if portal was entered in IGF? Would anyone here have a problem with that?” He asserts that he likes the game itself, but compares Erik Svedäng’s Blueberry Garden, which was made by a single guy in a bedroom or basement, with games backed by large companies.

“The [IGF 2008] Art Award for Fez made me.” Phil mentions young developers on TIGSource who don’t even have $100 to spend on the IGF admission fee. “What’s 100 dollars to Q-Games? It’s like a fart.” He thinks Eden’s submission was a “cynical marketing campaign” meant to promote their upcoming expansion pack (to be announced at GDC later this week).
lol
(Sure, Fish could have changed his mind, but it's funny how IGF was criticized from the now-die-hard supporter. Maybe even Brandon is rambling himself about the IGF in his sleep, his subconsciousness might be admitting that there are (some) things that could be improved on it but he then thinks "no no no its your fault because everyone of you TIGSource guys say that we are a indie elite [citation needed], so blablablabla 90$ isn't much so fuck you". Then he wakes up and plays a bit of Noby Noby Boy, alongside with a disapproving look from Phil Fish.)

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1684 on: March 13, 2012, 11:12:41 AM »

i thought fish said noby noby boy was one of his favorite games

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1685 on: March 13, 2012, 11:14:25 AM »

He's jealous that someone else made a game even more pointless than his.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1686 on: March 13, 2012, 11:17:37 AM »

oh, never mind that part then. I don't think that Phil Fish literally dislikes all Japanese modern games, I just throw a random modern Japanese game into the rambling. (and also since I knew that Brandon also like NNB) I don't have anything against with Fish disliking modern Japanese games either, I added that to make it more exaggerated I guess.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1687 on: March 13, 2012, 12:06:50 PM »

My guardian indie spirit is an eagle.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: March 13, 2012, 12:21:25 PM »

My guardian indie spirit is an eagle.
indiesona?
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: March 13, 2012, 12:38:41 PM »

dormz, you completely missed the point of that quote

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
rogerlevy
« Reply #1690 on: March 13, 2012, 12:49:31 PM »

dormz, you completely missed the point of that quote

not really i was just changing the subject.  i can be bemused by Phil and agree with him at the same time.

edit: yeah i just realized i don't know what the fuck i'm talking about.  deleted
Nektonico
Level 2

Time traveller graffiti

View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: April 14, 2012, 01:27:03 AM »

Maybe he just needs to put some skill points in diplomacy next time he levels up.
Besides, how can anyone bash on someone who shoots himself in the foot so gloriously?
Also, its not the freaking united nations, and its not like he burnt a picture of emperor Hirohito or Miyamoto in front of everyone or any such thing.
Im of the theory he picked up this bad attitude from Super Joe.

He was built by the worlds finest surgeons to drive the fastest car ever designed and nothing can stop him now. ಠ_ృ
“The greatest misfortune is when theory outstrips performance.” - Leonardo DaVinci
PaleFox
« Reply #1692 on: April 14, 2012, 01:54:59 AM »

In this thread people pretend nepotism doesn't exist and that people who take advantage of it aren't worse than scum
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1693 on: April 14, 2012, 09:10:53 AM »

nepotism is good.

without nepotism no one would be nice to me.
biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: April 14, 2012, 12:44:41 PM »

In this thread people pretend nepotism networking doesn't exist and that people who take advantage of it aren't worse than scum
PaleFox
« Reply #1695 on: April 14, 2012, 12:47:25 PM »

In this thread people pretend using networking and favors to win a supposedly fair competition of merit isn't nepotism
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1696 on: April 14, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »

yeah, there's a distinction between networking and nepotism; they are both the same *kind* of thing, sort of, but here's where i draw the line: if the people in power favor friends over equally qualified strangers, it's networking, if the people in power favor unqualified or underqualified friends over qualified or overqualified strangers, it's nepotism

e.g. making your nephew who can barely program and just graduated college lead programmer over and in a position of authority above a talented programmer with 20 years of experience is nepotism, making your nephew lead programmer over that guy when both people are about equally experienced is networking

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1697 on: April 14, 2012, 03:20:57 PM »

In this thread people pretend nepotism networking guerilla-marketing a product as "indie" to the sheeple with the help of rigged contests and a media corporation who is like a wolf in sheep clothing doesn't exist and that people who take advantage of it aren't worse than scum

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1698 on: April 14, 2012, 04:41:02 PM »

sheeple

lol
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: April 14, 2012, 05:31:55 PM »

I'm glad all these high-profile titles are getting such good reviews, publicity, and popularity by taking advantage of the same "mainstream" corporately-owned machinery their developers apparently condemn, really speaks to the independent spirit.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 89
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic