Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411722 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 22, 2024, 04:50:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralFight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1061 1062 [1063] 1064 1065 ... 1393
Print
Author Topic: Fight Thread Pollution! Post here if it's not worth a new thread!!!  (Read 2334658 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21240 on: May 20, 2015, 04:27:51 PM »

@JWK5

I am not sure about you, you have the extreme pain related problems, unfortunately. I feel cold just like a normal person does. I am able to use myself as a thermometer, so to speak. It is just that I can "overcome" it by entering a new state. What's important, to me even my physical training is not just a "mechanical" activity. My training is always guided by a pure, non stressed but determined state of mind. It is carried by the state of mind, so to speak.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
JWK5
« Reply #21241 on: May 20, 2015, 04:36:08 PM »

@JWK5

I am not sure about you, you have the extreme pain related problems. I feel cold just like a normal person does. I am able to use myself as a thermometer, so to speak. It is just that I can "overcome" it by entering a new state. What's important, I don't know about others but to me it is not a "mechanical" practice to harden myself. My training is always guided by a pure, non stressed but determined state of mind.
The thing about my pain issues is that the pain is there, I can feel it if I focus hard on it, but most of the time I am unaware that I've even been injured let alone thinking about pain being there. I always have strange injuries, cuts, and bruises that I don't know where they've come from because I never noticed or remember injuring myself. It might be similar in the way which vicodin works (in that the pain is there but you are not aware of it). One theory I've been given by a psychiatrist when I was younger is that my early childhood abuse may have taught me how to tune out the pain and maybe I am just indifferent to it. Some pains and sensations I am very aware of, like cold, which is why it is such a big thing to me to learn how to endure it adequately.

I've taught my son how to treat his own injuries, and to be curious about them not afraid of them so he never cries about "owies" any more, the first thing I always say to him is "Let's figure out what our options are." (which is also the first step we take when he's stuck on a video game or school work or something). Just removing some of the fear and panic from the equation (or at least minimizing it) does a great job at reducing the pain perceived.

So I am very open to the idea of a calm mind overriding sensations in the body (like pain).

EDIT: I am sure it applies to emotional pain as well. When there are times of stress and everyone is freaking out I go into "robot mode" as others have noted, I stop feeling (or perhaps recognizing) emotions (i.e. I am emotionally "flat") and I am able to handle the situation very calmly. In those moments I feel very disconnected, like my body is a separate entity and I am just kind of pointing it out where to go. The same thing with physical pain, it doesn't seem like it is my pain, just my body's pain (if that makes sense). So it is there, it is just half the time I don't notice because it feels like it happens to my body, not whatever my conscious "awareness" is.

The caveat, as some of you I am sure have noticed here on the forums, is I do get periodic waves of feeling where I become hyper aware of my pain, physical or otherwise, and I go berserk and completely lose my shit.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 04:42:35 PM by JWK5 » Logged
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21242 on: May 20, 2015, 05:02:29 PM »

So I am very open to the idea of a calm mind overriding sensations in the body (like pain).
According to my belief, in order to train and heal yourself from the ground up the first condition is to have a focused but calm (peaceful calm but not "robotic") mind. In a very advanced stage I believe you can override(or diminish) pain, at least partially, but to get there takes time. I just wish you get not too much interrupted by pain bursts on your way.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
JWK5
« Reply #21243 on: May 20, 2015, 05:03:31 PM »

I just wish you get not too much interrupted by pain bursts on your way.
It has taken me a good chunk of my life so far, but I've come to appreciate the way my mind and body work, it allows me to push myself in ways most others aren't and it has really allowed me to help people out in the worst of times, I can be a strong foundation for others even when I can't always be one for myself. I just have to (and continue to try to) learn better ways at managing those bursts of pain when they do happen. The pain bursts used to be an interruption, now they are becoming a good teacher (when I let them).

I think we're all given a particular brand of (not literal) magic in life, just learning to recognize it and hone it is a challenge unique to us all individually, but becomes invaluable when we are together.
Pfotegeist
« Reply #21244 on: May 20, 2015, 06:35:16 PM »

I went through a phase where I watched a lot of TED talks, mostly those on Netflix. An important point which came up in one talk was that we can change the way we view the world by directed thought and we can direct ourselves at will.  We are the master of our reality. So I extrapolate this a bit now.  Reality is only a perception of our current state of mind. In time, you can train yourself to exist in any reality.  Reality can also be broken down into behaviors displayed in context, with physical and mental motivators.

From barely any psychology, probably an average dose for a two year college student, I found out early that people who feel pressure to enact two separate personalities are under a greater deal of mental stress (and this stress/pressure occurs frequently in social context). But consider this, you only need one personality.  Allow your perception to develop from exposure to each context, which happens naturally, rather than radically altering who you are so you can fit into the groove instantly.

Most of the time learning occurs exactly how I just presented. In context, rather than altering yourself, your perceptions are altered. Anyway, combine the idea that you can direct your own perception, and that each context has its own reality compartmentalized inside your mind.  If you can really understand it, then you'll understand "mind over matter."
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21245 on: May 21, 2015, 12:03:41 AM »

Agh, I'm still not getting Patreon, it seems.

I'd posted a bunch of updates lately on my game using the ACTIVITY tab to make sure they didn't fall under the CREATIONS tab where I only want to put finished or abandoned stuff, like my LD games, not updates on one ongoing game.

I just updated the page only to find all those activities mixed up with the creations after all... Why are there even two tabs if they're going to get mixed up anyway?

What did I miss? Mock Anger

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21246 on: May 21, 2015, 07:27:38 AM »

I went through a phase where I watched a lot of TED talks, mostly those on Netflix. An important point which came up in one talk was that we can change the way we view the world by directed thought and we can direct ourselves at will.  We are the master of our reality. So I extrapolate this a bit now.  Reality is only a perception of our current state of mind. In time, you can train yourself to exist in any reality.  Reality can also be broken down into behaviors displayed in context, with physical and mental motivators.
This is actually the reality, many are only not aware of that. Things can viewed from different angles. For example a simple division task like 5/2 can be viewed in several different ways, here are just 2:  

1: you ask how many times does 2 fit into 5.
2: you divide 5 into 2 equally big parts and ask how big is one of them.

Both views are correct. But one view can be superior or more suited than the other given the problem context.
That is also why programming in C, if you view it from the appropriate perspective, can be significantly more expressive and high level than programming in an object oriented language, the problem context cannot be ignored.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21247 on: May 21, 2015, 09:02:54 AM »

I went through a phase where I watched a lot of TED talks, mostly those on Netflix. An important point which came up in one talk was that we can change the way we view the world by directed thought and we can direct ourselves at will.  We are the master of our reality. So I extrapolate this a bit now.  Reality is only a perception of our current state of mind. In time, you can train yourself to exist in any reality.  Reality can also be broken down into behaviors displayed in context, with physical and mental motivators.

this is called "social constructionism" fyi

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_constructionism
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21248 on: May 21, 2015, 05:07:39 PM »

I'm still processing the fact that J-Snake wrote two paragraphs and a sentence to denounce a martial arts show because he was not allowed to punch a total stranger.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21249 on: May 21, 2015, 06:36:41 PM »

Seems pretty normal for JSnake.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21250 on: May 22, 2015, 12:50:14 AM »

If you visit a movie theatre to watch a movie called "A" but instead are shown another movie "B" you will feel cheated.
Same thing here if you know the difference between shaolin fight monks and moderately trained show artists.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21251 on: May 22, 2015, 12:52:55 AM »

watch

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21252 on: May 22, 2015, 04:35:21 AM »

shaolin soccer is best movie
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #21253 on: May 22, 2015, 07:37:19 AM »

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21254 on: May 22, 2015, 07:41:14 AM »

I don't know what it's about but it's hilarious that politicians still think that they can get away with not answering questions.

That's not politically correct at all.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #21255 on: May 22, 2015, 07:59:39 AM »

It's called "talking point" ake "here what I say, I say nothing less"

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #21256 on: May 22, 2015, 08:30:32 AM »

There is always something in life that seems obvious and you take for granted, you just have never stop to heck for the answer, it seems my brain can't leave anything unanswered so:

number/0 = answer
number   = answer*0
number   = 0

there dividing by zero can be any number, it's not just infinite, it's everything

/silly waste of time, kill me, unless you are a kid still school

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #21257 on: May 22, 2015, 09:06:30 AM »

I don't know what it's about but it's hilarious that politicians still think that they can get away with not answering questions.

That's not politically correct at all.

they can lol. politicians are literally trained to dodge questions. ideally as a politician being interviewed, you want to give the interviewer short pseudo-answers to their questions and get in as many of your talking points as you can. im not exaggerating, this tactic is literally part of most politicians' media training.

https://youtu.be/Uwlsd8RAoqI?t=4m4s
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21258 on: May 22, 2015, 09:14:52 AM »

Dodging questions is the daily job of politicians, plus never a straight answer. After a little life experience it gets more than obvious if one is not naive.

there dividing by zero can be any number, it's not just infinite, it's everything
Only if the numerator is also zero (0/0). Otherwise dividing by zero is always infinite, and it is not a number but a concept to quantify other relationships (tendency of growth).

And even if you face 0/0 in the process, things are not as unclear as you think if they have a history, if you are able to dig deeper down where it came from (rule of l'hopital). As an analogy, if a ball rests in the middle of the room and you ask where did it come from, it can be rolled in or placed on its place from any angle. But if you have captured its momentum the moment the ball came to rest you will be able to reconstruct the angle it came from.

Pfotegeist
« Reply #21259 on: May 22, 2015, 12:47:30 PM »

I kinda liked the sudo education discussion here, I feel like bringing it up again.

A critique on computer augmented classrooms.  I have a hard time considering this is speculation, but here I'll present it as such.

(Another paraphrased reference to a TED talk. )

Human vs human, human wins. Human vs. computer, computer wins. Computer vs. computer, computer wins. Human + computer vs. computer, human wins. Teams of humans on networks vs...

So it follows, the teachers who work with computers will win, bigger teams networked together will win.

In the realm of rote learning alone, you can replace teachers with programs. You can replace programs with teachers who utilize the programs.

what can't be done maybe

Stuff that sounds impossible to program as a lesson are usually social functions unavailable for criticism because of excuses and rights.

Manners
Collaboration
Fitness
Self image
Self worth
Pages: 1 ... 1061 1062 [1063] 1064 1065 ... 1393
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic