Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 11:57:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallLeap of Faith
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Leap of Faith  (Read 1735 times)
Ethan718
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 31, 2011, 04:40:43 PM »

Well, making this game (collaborating with programmer Epic428) has been an introducing journey.
Leap of Faith is a game where you can only jump; you cannot walk.

At first, the game was ridiculously frustrating and difficult; you could only control how far you jumped, and you couldn't control yourself midi-air. Then we decided to make the game easier, but allowing you to have complete control over the player in mid-air.

It's much easier, but in my opinion, really a lot of fun.

Play it here: http://www.kongregate.com/games/ethan718/leap-of-faith

Danmark
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 04:45:52 PM »

Nice. Played through it last night.
Quote from: Ethan718
Then we decided to make the game easier, but allowing you to have complete control over the player in mid-air.
Did you not redesign the levels with the new movement? Lots of them have red herring paths that nobody who's ever played a platformer would take. While playing, I thought they were shoddy attempts at misleading the player, until I read this.

Also, I found that if you land in the crack between two tiles, you can get stuck in it. This happened to me on two consecutive attempts around level 38.
Ethan718
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 06:45:40 AM »

Yeah, you're right, I honestly didn't go through and redesign all of the levels. Some of them were redesigned to make sure cheating didn't happen (but I'm sure we missed some of those too)

valis
Level 0

Kaffiyeh Camel

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 09:11:34 PM »

This seems like it might be OK, but the constraint caused by not being able to move when not jumping makes it feel kind of unpleasant.  It's an ok puzzle game.  I think it might suffer from the "unique game mechanic" syndrome where games try so hard to be unique, with a unique core mechanic, that the core mechanic takes center stage and fun takes a secondary role.
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 01:16:14 PM »

I must agree that the jumping is just unpleasant. Doing strange, restricted bunny hops just isn't very fun. It's actually a good idea, and maybe with better level design this could be fun, but it didn't convince me.
Franzinn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 08:08:32 AM »

Nice game, I played up to level 30 Grin
but sometimes the character doesn't wanna jump, which really sucks when you're on a colored block.  Sad

Stop Pointing Fingers!
paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 07:20:09 AM »

Not bad.  My only big criticism is that it's a bit annoying to switch between keyboard controls for the game and mouse to choose next level.

SplinterOfChaos
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 09:02:15 AM »

paste: Seems you didn't notice the "press left or right to continue". Maybe that text should be larger.

I think the jumping mechanic needs a lot of work. There's no way to carry your momentum from one jump to the next so you always have this feeling you're moving slow. There isn't too much difference between tapping jump and holding it so i don't feel like i have much control over the length or height of the jump. I want to tap jump to do precision bunny hops to inch my way towards a ledge, but it's nearly a full leap! If you're going for precision platforming, i'd want more control over the left and right while in the air, but i think it's good as is considering most of the platforms are fairly large. Though, you called if "Leap of Faith", so i suppose precision isn't your intent.

I like the mechanic, but i want the ability to build up speed to get through long sections.

When a platformer lets the player control both the height and horizontal movement of the jump, it gives the player a lot of freedom in how the jump is performed. It feels very balanced. In contrast, your game feels restricting since you can't do either well (err, you can move horizontally, but the stopping every time you land is what makes it feel restricting). I wonder how it'd be if the game focused on either giving more precise control over height or horizontal movement.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic