Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 02:31:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFKR3
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: FKR3  (Read 2043 times)
NAL
« on: February 14, 2009, 03:59:22 PM »

A psychedelic sequel to a psychedelic sequel to a not-so-psychedelic game. Or something.  Smiley

Anyways, FKR3 is a game in which you play as a virus looking to take down somebody's computer. Only thing is it's antivirused, and they'll do anything they can to stop you destroying files.

As you progress through the game, your virus quickly becomes obsolete, and needs to gain knowledge to remain a threat to the computer. How does it do it? It has eight trojans that orbit it. When one comes into contact with an antivirus, some knowledge (aka health) is returned to it, keeping it alive.

Antiviruses soon start shooting you in a multitude of ways, usually involving patterns as an excuse to make the game look pretty. Guessably, shots damage you.

Controls are simple - mouse to move the virus. To succeed at the game, though, you have to learn how to swing the trojans effectively to hit antivirus programs without taking too much damage from them.

Made with Game Maker 7.0 - Vista compatible.
Around 5MB in size.
Features music by Tendamix Sound System and The Prodigital. Both can be used freely with credit, which is what I've done.

Download links

YoYo Games
TwilightPhantasm

Screenshots

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 04:34:31 PM »

99200 on first try. i'd play it again but the visuals are painful to look at. and i thought immortal defense overused blur! :D

my suggestion is to try less saturated colors. if you only use saturated colors the contrast is going to feel uncomfortable. i also suggest more sound effects (gives the player more feedback). overall it was a unique experience which i think has a lot of potential if it were polished a lot.

Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 05:38:32 PM »

OH GOD MY EYES!!!

Seriously though this is pretty fun, but it feels like it's too much about luck than actual game play.

Dr. Sleep
Level 0

Trust Me. I'm a Doctor.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 06:36:03 PM »

Great look and feel to the game. Very cohesive.

Still, it was kinda hard to tell what was going on. I assume the smaller little balls that the ICs shoot at you hurt you, but it was really hard to tell when I was getting hit, especially since there was no feedback when (if) it happened, at least none that I noticed.

I think it would feel alot more grounded (for lack of a better term) if you had some kind of visual and audio indication that you're taking damage beyond the gauge down in the corner. Now granted, you've got your work cut out for you since there's so much stuff going on as it is, but I feel pretty strongly that it's something that needs to be added.

Also, from a gameplay standpoint, it seems like such a waste that you've got two buttons on the mouse that are going unused. It might make things a little more interesting if you could change the behavior or physics of the green things by holding down one or both of the buttons.

Nevertheless, I got a real kick out of it. Nice work.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 07:48:26 PM »

This game has quite a beautiful aesthetic.  In my opinion, the motion blur was not too overused; contrarily it creates a very distinct style.  Visually, I think the game is quite original.  The music was quite good as well, though I feel as though it could incorporate more melodic elements (and less percussive effects).

I liked the implementation of the swing behavior, though I found the mechanics very similar to cactus' game Xwung.  I suppose the mouse buttons could be used, maybe to influence the trojans in some respect other than the standard swinging.  [this is pretty much what Dr. Sleep said].

Nice game!

~ Theta

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic