Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 10:48:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsLights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Lights! Camera! Action! ACTION 52 OWNS (let's do this)  (Read 539156 times)
aderack
Level 0

videodrones; questions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1340 on: July 11, 2010, 11:20:09 AM »

That's rather brilliant, that is.

No pun intended.

Somehow reminds me a bit of Ghost House.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: July 11, 2010, 12:28:23 PM »

Heh, that game did come to mind when I was first working on this, actually, so it might have ended up as a slight subconscious influence.
Even if there's no jumping on flying darts and daggers involved.
mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: July 11, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »

Heh, that game did come to mind when I was first working on this, actually, so it might have ended up as a slight subconscious influence.
Even if there's no jumping on flying darts and daggers involved.
awesome game, i've updated the finished games list, so you can start another game if you want.

EruditeDragon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: July 11, 2010, 03:37:04 PM »

Hot damn, Fifth.  Illuminator is AWESOME!   Hand ClapSmiley 

One thing, though.  Would it be possible to add a little "How to Play" section to the game?  It'd probably be more of a benefit to people who're playing the game and haven't been following the project; I must confess, though, that even I had problems figuring out how to open the portals at first.

I'd definitely love to see another game from you, considering the quality put into Illuminator.
mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: July 11, 2010, 03:37:27 PM »

hey guys, it's time for everyone to SHOW YOUR WORK! it's the same as always -- post some bit of progress if you haven't in the past, i don't know, two weeks, or else i'll be removing you from the master list.

as always, if you're not feeling up to the challenge anymore, post that you're calling it quits in the thread.

Scattle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: July 11, 2010, 04:57:58 PM »

Fair enough,

Thanks to Xion, I now present you with this Image of the intro

working on the final stage (final boss as well)

ACTION-52-51114E85

Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1346 on: July 11, 2010, 06:29:56 PM »

As requested here's some progress screenshots on Alfredo.

Click for full-size versions:

The game is pretty much done. I'm just going through adding final polish at the moment so will publish a release candidate test version within the next few days. So people have a chance to post some feedback before I finalise it.

Think this one has come out a lot better than Critical Bypass.

pgil
« Reply #1347 on: July 11, 2010, 07:00:55 PM »

Since I've taken over Billy Bob:
-I merged levels 1 and 2. Level 3 is now level 4. Starting on a new level 3. There will be 5 or 6 levels total.
-Spent an afternoon indenting code so I could actually figure out what it does.
-Added swimming:

-Made music. The original game didn't have music, but I decided to have some short incidental stuff at the beginning of levels and for certain events: Listen to some
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1348 on: July 11, 2010, 07:01:36 PM »

is Alfredo made in unity..or no? Just wondering
ArmchairArmada
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1349 on: July 11, 2010, 07:58:55 PM »

Progress on Ooze has been going very, very slowly.  Making a game entirely on one's own is a difficult challenge.  If I could focus on programming, art, and animation with someone else taking over level design, story, and music it would make things a lot easier.  Those are the areas of expertise I am least confident of taking on.

In many ways designing levels isn't too difficult with the engine I have.  Basically it involves drawing the level in a paint program, using a Python script to convert it into tilemap data, then writing a level description text file to use the tilemap, set settings, and populate the area with objects.  It's pretty easy.  I've never really been all too good at making a game feel fun to play and that's largely due to poor level design.

If anyone did want to try to make some levels for this game I can try to provide a Windows build with a small tutorial explaining what I've got.  I would also like this person to help by giving me good suggestions on what features to add to the game's engine -- such as enemy types, etc.

I think if someone did take on these tasks this game can start gaining momentum again and become more likely to actually be completed.  Just tell me if any of you think you might be able to design some cool and fun levels.

Writing and music composition would be good also, but those are not too  urgent yet (since, currently, the game engine only has rudimentary support for music and dialog -- at the moment just initializing and linking the needed libraries.)

Download Win32 Demo Build (21.1 MB) (No guarantees it will run perfectly)

If you're interested in seeing what might be involved in creating a level check start_lvl.txt in the ./media/level folder.  The script to convert images to a tilemap is in ./proj -- requires Python and PIL.  Converter Use: python lvl_converter.py img_lvl.png.  See sample png file for colors.  Some patterns do not have tiles associated with them.  An error image will be produced with these tiles marked in red and they will be invisible in game.  False error pixels will be produced around bubble tiles, just ignore them.  I know this is not the best setup for creating levels, but when I started I thought this project would not take as long as it had so I took some shortcuts.  A proper scripting language would probably be better than the level description text files I'm using, but ... oh well.   Roll Eyes
L
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1350 on: July 11, 2010, 08:23:21 PM »

I'd quite like to make some levels for Ooze.

The graphics look really nice!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:29:34 PM by L » Logged
mr. podunkian
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: July 11, 2010, 08:25:25 PM »

just checked out ooze, and i've gotta say it's very very very well done (it almost seems professional grade). if you really need some help with sound and music i might be able to help you out (just pop into #pigscene via the link in the OP)

Saker
« Reply #1352 on: July 11, 2010, 08:56:08 PM »

I know , I broke my promise .. but for once , I promise
ArmchairArmada
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1353 on: July 11, 2010, 09:35:09 PM »

Cool, L and Podunkian.  Firstly, for the music I was thinking it shouldn't stray too far from the original.  I still have some kinks to work out in getting audio in the game engine, but it shouldn't be too difficult.  As far as "professional grade," I'm sure it's far from it!  I took a few shortcuts that might limit the engines potential a little, but the end results should still be pretty good.

Secondly, a small description of level designing.  If you want to play around with adding levels it's pretty easy.  The game starts at "start_lvl.txt".  Through door entities you can link to other levels by specifying a destination (the file to go to next) and a dest_point (a named point in that file where the player will be placed.)  To add a new level simply create a text file describing it then create a door going to it in an earlier level.

Each line of the level description files handles one aspect of the level.  It follows the format of "type:arguments", where values are a list of variables and their assigned values.  It may seem strange that the arguments are pipe separated, but I did this because it's a character that will never be used in in-game text (such as on signs or during dialog.)  All lines must be all the way to the left.

Following is a description of what can currently be created in the level and what their properties are:
Code:
# comments begin with the # symbol and are ignored
# properties can be listed in any order
# coordinates have 0,0 at lower left hand side of the screen. up and right are positive values, tiles are 1 square unit big

skybox - The background material used for the far distance
    name - name of the sky box background [sky_day, sky_night]

Example:
        skybox:name=sky_day

fog - Fog affecting the appearance of objects as they go farther back from the camera
    type - how the fog is calculated [linear] (later I might add some other fog types)
    r - red color component for the fog [floating point number, i.e. 0.0]
    g - green color component for the fog [floating point number, i.e. 1.0]
    b - blue color component for the fog [floating point number, i.e. 0.5]
    density - thinkness of the fog [floating point number] (I don't think this is used by linear fog)
    start - the starting distance from camera for applying fog [floating point number]
    end - the ending distance from camera for fog [floating point number]

Example:
        fog:type=linear|r=0.31|g=0.49|b=0.63|density=0.001|start=2|end=400

ambient - the ambient lighting of the scene
    r - red color component of ambient light [floating point value]
    g - green color component of ambient light [floating point value]
    b - blue color component of ambient light [floating point value]

Example:
        ambient:r=0.35|g=0.4|b=0.45

light - a light in the scene
    name - the name you want to give the light [string] (may be removed later)
    type - type of light source [directional, point, spot]
    r - red color component of light's diffuse [floating point value]
    g - green color component of light's diffuse [floating point value]
    b - blue color component of light's diffuse [floating point value]
    sr - red color component of light's specularity [floating point value]
    sg - green color component of light's specularity [floating point value]
    gb - blue color component of light's specularity [floating point value]
    x - x position in 3d space (used by point and spot) [floating point number]
    y - y position in 3d space (used by point and spot) [floating point number]
    z - z position in 3d space (used by point and spot) [floating point number]
    dx - x direction of lighting (used by directional and spot) [floating point number]
    dy - y direction of lighting (used by directional and spot) [floating point number]
    dz - z direction of lighting (used by directional and spot) [floating point number]
    shadows - Whether the light casts shadows or not (shadows currently disabled) [1 or 0 for on or off]

Example:
        light:name=sun|type=directional|r=0.7|g=0.65|b=0.6|sr=0.65|sg=0.65|sb=0.65|x=20|y=80|z=50|dx=-1|dy=-1|dz=-1|shadows=1

tilemap - The tilemap data for describing the terrain
    tiles - a file describing how the graphics and interactions of tiles [tiles.txt]
    map - the tile map data filename [string]

Example:
        tilemap:tiles=tiles.txt|map=start_map.txt

camera - The starting position for the camera (I might change this to use named points)
    x - x position for camera [floating point number]
    y - y position for camera [floating point number]
    minx - minimum x position the camera can move [floating point number]
    miny - minimum y position the camera can move [floating point number]
    maxx - maximum x position the camera can move [floating point number]
    maxy - maximum y position the camera can move [floating point number]

Example:
        camera:x=7|y=10|minx=10|miny=8|maxx=118|maxy=56

point - a named point in the level -- currently used by door for where the player should be placed
    name - the name you want to give this point [string]
    x - x value for point [float]
    y - y value for point [float]

Example:
        point:name=start|x=5|y=10

static - non-interactive static geometry decorations
    name - filename of the mesh to use [bg_hills.mesh and anything else in ./media/mesh]
    x - x position of mesh [float]
    y - y position of mesh [float]
    z - z position of mesh [float]

Example:
        static:name=terrain_plane.mesh|x=-50|y=0|z=-90

entity - an interactive object in the scene
    type - the type of entity that should be placed down [pickle, acid, door, spawner]
    x - x position for the entity [float]
    y - y position for the entity [float]
    vx - x component of velocity vector (may not be used by everything) [float]
    vy - y component of velocity vector (may not be used by everything) [float]
    [arguments] - the arguments depend on the type of entity

entity:type=pickle - the green blob that moves back and forth
    only uses basic entity arguments

Example:
        entity:type=pickle|x=10|y=10|vx=1.0

entity:type=door - an exit door leading to another level
    destination - the filename for where they player will go [string]
    dest_point - the destination point for where they player should be placed [string]

Example:
        entity:type=door|destination=night_lvl.txt|dest_point=start|x=124|y=17

entity:type=acid - a single drip of acid that disappears when it hits something
    only uses basic entity arguments

Example:
        entity:type=acid|x=16|y=10|vx=3.0

entity:type=spawner - creates new entities at regular intervals
    spawn_entity - name of entity to spawn [names of above mentioned entities]
    spawn_freq - frequency of spawning in seconds [float]
    spawn_sync - time before spawning begins (used to time spawning patterns) [float]
    spawn_x - x position of spawning sensor (used so entities are only spawned when player is near) [float]
    spawn_y - y position of spawning sensor (used so entities are only spawned when player is near) [float]
    spawn_w - the half-width of a bounding box used by sensor (distance from player before spawning) [float]
    spawn_h - the half-height of a bounding box used by sensor (distance from player before spawning) [float]
    [arguments] - all arguments are passed to the spawned entity, so set values for the entity here

Example:
        entity:type=spawner|spawn_entity=acid|spawn_freq=1.0|spawn_sync=0.0|spawn_x=10|spawn_y=20|spawn_w=10|spawn_h=10|x=10|y=20
If you make any levels that you think are pretty good send me a forum message and I'll tell you where you can email the text files.  Also, feel free to tell me any ideas of what could be added.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:26:18 PM by ArmchairArmada » Logged
ZH8T
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: July 11, 2010, 10:07:35 PM »

Here's some screenshots of Cry Baby.

http://yfrog.com/eucb5hj
http://yfrog.com/eucb4ldj
http://yfrog.com/0rcb3dcj
http://yfrog.com/0rcb6tj

Right now, I'm programming the bosses.

ACTION-52-42E0E06C
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1355 on: July 12, 2010, 12:22:43 AM »

is Alfredo made in unity..or no? Just wondering

Sadly not it's just done in classic ol' Game Maker. My next project once this is done is to make a 2D game in Unity but I didn't want to waste the time needed to figure out how to do that well for Alfredo since the goal was to get the game finished fairly quickly.

L
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1356 on: July 12, 2010, 04:30:41 AM »

Some initial Ooze requests:

* Firstly, could you please add the missing tile patterns invoked by this WIP draft level I made: http://i.imgur.com/UKaeP.png
* Secondly, a new enemy - one that is stationary but fires a projectile horizontally whenever the player enters its field of view.
* Thirdly, this game could do with a larger field of view - I'd like to be able to see about 1.5 times as much terrain in-game.
* Fourthly, variable-height jumps! Hold down the button to jump higher or release early to jump lower.
* Fifthly, auto-fire - hold down C to fire continually at just below the maximum firing rate.
* Sixthly, could you disable the mouse-interfering part of the engine? Since this isn't an FPS it doesn't need to restrict the mouse's movement to within the window.
GZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1357 on: July 12, 2010, 09:18:38 AM »

Latest progress for Chill Out, work has been slow for a long time:

http://drdougbeach.tomatoland.org/ChillOut_003.zip

Lot's of polish issues and things missing, since it's my current working build, but I got the graphics mostly done, music is done, gameplay is mostly done, and now I just need to build the levels and fix up the cinemas. I finally have some solid free time, so I am hoping to get this done within 7 days.

L
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1358 on: July 12, 2010, 10:10:31 AM »

A suggestion for Chill Out: you should probably not call them "Eskimos" if they're going to be Hulk-speaking caveman-type characters. It's kind of... racially insensitive? Maybe politically erroneous?

Also:
* The snowbanks don't really look like snowbanks. Could they perhaps be... whiter? Lumpier? Maybe slow down your walking speed in a very minimal but nonetheless noticable manner.
* Don't make the music restart when you change levels or die. It's nice and long and should be allowed to loop.
* The random gusts of wind are kind of annoying. Consider leaving them out of the first couple of levels, and even then just have them coming from one direction.
* For the later levels, add a type of tree which is attached to the background and isn't resting on a platform, requiring you to chain-grab them in succession.
* Also, consider designing levels where the wind is required to make particular jumps, or one level where the wind is so frequent that you need the rope to advance forward.

P.S: You misspelled "Affirmative".

Neonlare
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1359 on: July 12, 2010, 10:42:13 AM »

Meong's hit a few delays, especially what with Universities in England handing out their results, problems with the systems, etc etc, so I've been running around as of late. As a result I can't give a specific date for release, but I can vouch that it will come out sometime soonish.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic