Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411660 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 02:45:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)What do pixel artists need in the pixel editor?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: What do pixel artists need in the pixel editor?  (Read 6238 times)
Xecutor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 09:33:55 PM »

why would i need opacity when pixeling?
Why not? Even if it is colorkey transparency, bright pink background hurts my eyes.
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 09:20:53 AM »

Why not?
Because when you're doing pixel art it's generally considered "cheating" to use semi-transparent pixels.  Usually, it's either 100% or 0% opacity.

andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 02:37:19 PM »

cheating or not, it's a useful feature

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 07:21:43 PM »

Some things I'd love as part of the palette management would be:
  • converting from RGB mode to indexed (scanning for all colours up to 256 and optimising if needed)
  • being able to merge colours in indexed mode (possibly with a choice of forcing the new index to either one of the colours to be merged, an intermediate, or an arbitrary colour)
  • being able to delete colours from the palette in indexed mode (with a choice to replace the colour with another index or transparency)
  • ability to tweak the palette - changing the colour of an index and having all pixels of that index change to the new colour
  • palette rotation by being able to "swap" the colours of two indexes. (A with B with C with D with A for a 4 colour rotation).
Keyboard controls sound great too Smiley

Being able to set up a "working set" of brushes that you could swap between with keys would be nice.
Ability to define brushes on an 8x8 (or 16x16 or 32x32) grid would be nice.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 12:37:42 PM »

In addition to the ready-to-select range of mainstay colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, brown, black); an additional set specifically relating to skin tones. Why computer illustration programs over the past 30 years haven't thought of that, I have no idea.

Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2011, 05:09:24 PM »

The Photoshop default swatch has a half decent tan/skin ramp, it just doesn't do the scoop in saturation.

Squiggly_P
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2011, 08:22:16 PM »

If you do decide to make a pixelling app, you can instantly set yourself apart from about 99% of the rest of the pixel apps out there by NOT EMULATING DPAINT. I hate DPaint so much I wish I could go back in time and assassinate the guy who wrote it.

My ideal Pixel app:
- Layer management similar to photoshop's.
- Alpha channel. Modern game engines generally support alpha channels. Modern graphics formats support alpha channels. A lot of apps use color-for-alpha or have some bizarre method of painting alpha channels.
- Pallet management that allows me to save / load / swap pallets.
- Modern keyboard commands. I don't like having to hunt around to switch tools or brush sizes. Gimme good shortcuts or let me make up my own. Especially let me set up the mouse the way I want to so I can pick colors or paint with the background color or erase or whatever I want with whatever button.
Jetrel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 04:34:35 AM »

Why not?
Because when you're doing pixel art it's generally considered "cheating" to use semi-transparent pixels.  Usually, it's either 100% or 0% opacity.

If you step outside the world of mockups and pixelart that's just for art's sake, and not for inclusion in an actual videogame (or software in general) this is a retarded stance.  Pixel art is used in real software, and sometimes that software isn't under your control, development-wise.  You can't add support for color-key transparency because it's not your program.

Web browsers, for example.  You could probably jerry-rig some ridiculous setup to use color-key transparency, but ...  what a colossal waste of effort when you could just save a gif/png with transparency data in it and just do it the normal way.

Supporting alpha channels is a fairly trivial feature (said by a guy actually working on his own pixel-art editor), and omitting it would just be nutty.

If you do decide to make a pixelling app, you can instantly set yourself apart from about 99% of the rest of the pixel apps out there by NOT EMULATING DPAINT. I hate DPaint so much I wish I could go back in time and assassinate the guy who wrote it.

My ideal Pixel app:
- Layer management similar to photoshop's.
- Alpha channel. Modern game engines generally support alpha channels. Modern graphics formats support alpha channels. A lot of apps use color-for-alpha or have some bizarre method of painting alpha channels.
- Pallet management that allows me to save / load / swap pallets.
- Modern keyboard commands. I don't like having to hunt around to switch tools or brush sizes. Gimme good shortcuts or let me make up my own. Especially let me set up the mouse the way I want to so I can pick colors or paint with the background color or erase or whatever I want with whatever button.

What he said.  Quite a number of us grew up with photoshop, not DPaint.  Our workflow is incredibly alien to that crew.  Loosely, we'd appreciate a stripped down version of photoshop with streamlined pixelling features.

Photoshop's magic wand and ADD/INTERSECT/UNION selections, in it's ability to render sections of pixel art editable, versus not, is probably one of it's most significant features.  It allows me to do complex AA in seconds.

Regarding palettes, I don't built-in support for them at all.  I work in true color with the pencil tool, and when I want to use a color I've already got, I hold down one of the buttons on my wacom pen that temporarily makes it the eyedropper tool instead, and just grab the color from my canvas.

If I need to keep a consistent palette between works, I have the earlier work open in another window, and use an eyedropper to sample colors from it.  Having good support for multiple windows is a plus - I typically have about a hundred open in photoshop at any given time.

For each document, I have a minisize (at precise 1x resolution, not the stretched/squashed thing in the preview window) view of it open in one window, and another view at about 800%.  Sometimes I'll also throw a 2x in there so I don't need to squint at my screen.
Tom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 05:22:30 AM »

Quote from: Jetrel
Loosely, we'd appreciate a stripped down version of photoshop with streamlined pixelling features.

Bingo. Then add an animation system similar to graphics gale, a tilemap feature to that of Pro Motion 6, and you have a winning pixel program.
Xecutor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2011, 06:51:45 AM »

Little notice: I'm reading all this. Thanks to everyone.

One more notice: Top priority goes to game-art-essential features.
Spritesheets and animation sequencies, tilemap previews etc.

Reading most popular formats and writing pngs is working.
Very basic editing is working.
Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2011, 04:08:54 PM »

Ability to make right-clicking pick colour instead of using the secondary one. I really need this for any pixeling ever.

Sonic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 06:23:27 AM »

a good pixel editor i use even today for sprites is character maker 1999.
it allows me to pick color with right click too.

here is the tutorial. not sure where to download it now... its free too...
http://tilesettutorial.wordpress.com/2009/01/11/character-maker-1999-tutorial/

It will be good if there is a way to export a animation from a spritesheet ure working on directly from the editor ure trying to make.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 06:29:13 AM by Sonic » Logged
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »

I didn't read every response, but:

While using the line tool, hold shift to snap to: horizontal, verticle, over 1 up 1, over 2 up 1, over 1 up 2.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 11:56:22 AM »

Make it so you can preview animations like iDraw chara maker, and have the possibility of using an indexed palette thats easy to change each color of (like graphicsGale) and you're golden.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 07:23:48 AM by Ben_Hurr » Logged
Toom
Level 3

You have to tell me if you're a cop.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 06:42:48 AM »

Decent rotation. Look at RotSprite's rotation algorithm for an example of How It's Done; when I moved onto my current Mac from the creaky PC I'd been using, I initially installed Wine just so I could keep using RotSprite. It's such a simple fix, but it's absolutely beautiful.

If it'd feasible, Photoshop-style levels and curves would be fantastic, as would its Hue/Saturation functionality; the latter especially is a godsend for palette-swaps and so on.

I'm gonna beat yer ass wit dis moon tree!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic