Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411664 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 06:19:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Pistolet
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pistolet  (Read 1368 times)
mozzy
Level 1

The Wild Thing

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2011, 09:42:02 PM »

Here's a thread for me to share my sprite work of Pistolet with y'all as opposed to clogging the pixel art thread above! This isn't so much of a devlog, more of an sprites in progress thread, haven't and probably won't get to programming in a while. Basically, my art direction is heavy lines, bright colors and dark shading. It's, for the most part, set in a wildly fantastical wonderland of sorts, and an equally bizarre psuedo old western town. So here, color and atmosphere, coupled with lively characters are key to bringing this to life.

Here are some character animation sprites:
Ruger:

Sako:

Howda:

Most current line up (hopefully addressed past critique) of the main cast:

If you're curious about the story, it's a lengthy read and difficult to summarize. But I will if you really want. Anyway, feel free to critique, question, destroy etc.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 10:39:56 PM »

Arm motion on gun throw and firing is too mechanical. Wink Walking animation the arm also skips forward by what appears to be one frame's worth of motion. Beyond that, nice; I like the characters.

- >

Some stuff I didn't really notice until making that edit: He shifts up one pxiel without his legs or crotch level changing, which looks weird. You also have motion blur starting at points where the moving object never is, which is a no-no. Also, not too important, but it's much simpler to have a standard frame speed (and use only multiples of that), you change between 2, 3, and 4 FPS throughout that animation.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:45:13 PM by Inane » Logged

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
mozzy
Level 1

The Wild Thing

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 05:34:06 PM »

Wow that definitely changes it a lot! Thanks for the tips. And the crotch thingy is just an error from my shitastic gif maker.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:23:14 PM »

Oh yes, and he should swing his arm downward when he catches the gun.

I've never seen anyone simply throw something upward and leave it there waiting for whatever object they tossed to come back down; their arm is always in motion following the arc of what they tossed.

He also doesn't *totally* look like his eyes are following the gun. As an easy way out you could make it seem badass by having him not look at the gun at all.  Well, hello there!

Also I feel like his head should be bobbing with the impacts in relation to his neck. Right now his head + neck stays rather stiff as he runs.

Excellent work otherwise.  Smiley

antymattar
Level 5

Has earned the contemporary *Banned* medal

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 04:08:26 AM »

I am totally disturbed by the floating fatties.  Who, Me?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic