Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411669 Posts in 69397 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: homina

May 16, 2024, 10:47:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesEDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 112
Print
Author Topic: EDGE Games and Tim Langdell ( Mobigame's Edge pulled because of the word Edge )  (Read 426027 times)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #720 on: July 16, 2009, 10:52:28 PM »

This is just the surface of a much, much deeper, darker secret. You don't know what you're getting into by delving into this issue, guys. Just let things go back to the way they were before...

before...

Who, Me?

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: July 17, 2009, 05:29:17 AM »

Thanks a lot, Brandon!

We do not understand. Is that supposed to be an actual copy of EDGE magazine? If so, what on Earth does it prove?

OH: As an addendum, bravo on following this case up, everyone! Hopefully it will start working. At the very least, informing the gaming public is going to help out!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 05:33:42 AM by Gainsworthy » Logged
Oddbob
« Reply #722 on: July 17, 2009, 06:08:36 AM »

It's supposed to prove Edge branded PC's existed.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: July 17, 2009, 06:16:12 AM »

Apologies if this is so stunningly obvious that it's just gone without saying before (or if it's already been brought up), but it's just clicked for me now:

I'm not sure at what point in the round of Edge website revisions the RACERS game popped up, but if you're wondering (as I was) how it all fits into the puzzle, your answer is very probably related to that second, anonymous iPhone developer referred to in the fingergaming article.

It only took one four-letter search to come up with a pretty strong stab at who that might be -- http://www.killeredge.com/ -- and to reason why Edge Games is now in the racing games business.

Funnily enough, Sharma said he mainly created the game as an experiment to "go through the whole process of developing and publishing on the AppStore" (http://www.videomindgames.com/uncategorized/killer-edge-launched-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch), which apparently may have set him up for more than he bargained for.

Also, if you haven't paid a visit to Edge's upcoming games list lately, I just noticed this new set of additions:

Aka, obviously, the game Langdell claims Mobigame copied for their Edge.

WOW! Just wow. This is leaving me completely speechless.

Also, this gives a great insight into the rest of that list.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 06:19:17 AM by Ivan » Logged

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 17, 2009, 06:21:24 AM »

You'd think with all the loops this shitheel is jumping through to give his lawsuits merit it would be just as easy to, you know, make something of worth.

Porting your archaic game no one remembers to seven languages just seems like a lot of work, and if you're already a certified iPhone developer of some sort - or have the money to hire one to port your game - can't you just make something new and fun?
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #725 on: July 17, 2009, 06:28:48 AM »

I wonder what Edge Magazine's position is in all this. They could potentially sue Tim for misrepresentation with that cover, as well as defamation of character by association (seeing as how so many people probably hate the brand "edge" right now).

Plus I'm pretty sure that if you lie in a federal court, it counts as obstructing justice or something.

["Thread Reader" - Read a thread.]
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: July 17, 2009, 06:32:17 AM »

Plus I'm pretty sure that if you live in a federal court, it counts as obstructing justice or something.

Is how I read it the first time. But that also seems to apply to Tim Langdell!

Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #727 on: July 17, 2009, 06:38:20 AM »

Plus I'm pretty sure that if you live in a federal court, it counts as obstructing justice or something.

Is how I read it the first time. But that also seems to apply to Tim Langdell!

ZING!

Hats off for that one.  Gentleman

Oddbob
« Reply #728 on: July 17, 2009, 06:44:01 AM »

You'd think with all the loops this shitheel is jumping through to give his lawsuits merit it would be just as easy to, you know, make something of worth.

Porting your archaic game no one remembers to seven languages just seems like a lot of work, and if you're already a certified iPhone developer of some sort - or have the money to hire one to port your game - can't you just make something new and fun?

The more that gets dug up on this the more Coen brothers this gets. The thing that gets me is the sheer amount of effort that's required to keep this lie going could, as you say, be used to actually do something. Actually, many things, many times over.

People. Boggling things. Here you have one easy option and one that requires a sustained amount of effort for years and years so as not to trip yourself up and which do you choose?
Shade Jackrabbit
Level 10

TIME RANGER

View Profile WWW
« Reply #729 on: July 17, 2009, 07:27:03 AM »

Well it's sort of too late for Tim to take back what he's done at this point. He can either:

1. Admit his wrongings, paying thousands if not millions of dollars to all parties he has damaged with his "work", step down from the GDA, lose his teaching position, close his company, publicly admit the disgusting nature of his character, make himself known as a scumbag, and start all over again. Basically lose whatever little thing he's worked for in his life. (Which I believe is what he deserves anyways, for what he's done.)

2. Keep the lie going.

So it's either unravel a lifetime of "work" or keep "working". I'm not saying what he's doing is right (far from it, the lying bastard), but I can see why he doesn't just step down. It's like how you can't expect a bank robber to turn himself in. So we have to do it since he won't.

ChrisFranklin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: July 17, 2009, 08:15:39 AM »

Well it's sort of too late for Tim to take back what he's done at this point. He can either:

1. Admit his wrongings, paying thousands if not millions of dollars to all parties he has damaged with his "work", step down from the GDA, lose his teaching position, close his company, publicly admit the disgusting nature of his character, make himself known as a scumbag, and start all over again. Basically lose whatever little thing he's worked for in his life. (Which I believe is what he deserves anyways, for what he's done.)

2. Keep the lie going.

So it's either unravel a lifetime of "work" or keep "working". I'm not saying what he's doing is right (far from it, the lying bastard), but I can see why he doesn't just step down. It's like how you can't expect a bank robber to turn himself in. So we have to do it since he won't.

While I think we'd all like to see number one happen, it would require some sort of sappy kid's movie level of realizing how wrong what you're doing is and totally recanting all of his misdeeds and accepting complete fault.

Really, the most you can expect (and even this is not going to happen) is for the lawsuits being dropped, the underhanded trademark claims to cease, and the douchebaggery to be ended.  Who knows, if he did that and then spent all this effort making new and exciting games maybe he'd even be a half-decent guy who brings some interesting ideas in the medium.  Unfortunately all he's doing right now is holding legitimate creators back.
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #731 on: July 17, 2009, 09:41:42 AM »

We do not understand. Is that supposed to be an actual copy of EDGE magazine? If so, what on Earth does it prove?

As I understand Derek's post, this is an exhibit that Langdell submitted to the court, presumably as an attachment to his complaint. The point is that this is not the actual cover of the magazine--it looks like a doctored image meant to give the court the impression that Edge magazine is using its name under a license from Langdell. (See the text at the very bottom of the image.)

Dark Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: July 17, 2009, 12:00:48 PM »

The hilarious thing is that one of the UK's most popular game magazines is called EDGE. What's that dickhat gonna do? I think it's shit the way that big coporation dickheads think that they can push around small-time devs, but back down when faced with an established companies.
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #733 on: July 17, 2009, 12:11:52 PM »

The hilarious thing is that one of the UK's most popular game magazines is called EDGE. What's that dickhat gonna do?
Facepalm

Martin 2BAM
Level 10

@iam2bam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #734 on: July 17, 2009, 12:26:35 PM »

Tears of Joy Beer!

Just wanted to say: The douche, his wife and his lawyer are not a big corporation.

Working on HeliBrawl
Stegersaurus
Level 2

Crazy robots...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #735 on: July 17, 2009, 01:18:35 PM »

As I understand Derek's post, this is an exhibit that Langdell submitted to the court, presumably as an attachment to his complaint. The point is that this is not the actual cover of the magazine--it looks like a doctored image meant to give the court the impression that Edge magazine is using its name under a license from Langdell. (See the text at the very bottom of the image.)

It still seems confusing, it's not like he made up a product and put it there to lie to the courts, since the Edge Gaming PCs do exist, though it's not really his product and seems to just be the licensing of the name edge out to Velocity Micro. If we're talking about other products he's licensed out to, couldn't he have just used the normal magazine itself, or some other ad for those computers to establish recent works using the trademark? I don't see the incentive to "make up" an ad. The PSP in the image also looks "off" like it's a beta version of the PSP hardware (it looks like it has a clickwheel instead of a DPad) so perhaps this was a preliminary cover which Edge (magazine) made for the upcoming issue and that Langdell got from the publisher before the issue came out in its final version?

http://www.stegersaurus.com - Yet another blog about games
Mega Monster Mania - Procedural, fast paced dungeon running
Oddbob
« Reply #736 on: July 17, 2009, 01:35:22 PM »

I applaud your generosity but it's clearly a shit 'shop job in every respect.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #737 on: July 17, 2009, 01:38:53 PM »

And as Brandon pointed out, they don't sell Edge in the U.S., so the $3.00 price tag gives it away, too.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: July 17, 2009, 01:56:14 PM »

The man is clearly not mentally well.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #739 on: July 17, 2009, 03:01:10 PM »

And as Brandon pointed out, they don't sell Edge in the U.S., so the $3.00 price tag gives it away, too.

Funny thing too, for someone who seems obsessed with trademark battles, he did'nt place the registered trademark symbol (R) at the right place.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 112
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic