Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411656 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 01:55:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeEpic 2D Boss Fights?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Epic 2D Boss Fights?  (Read 25011 times)
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2011, 11:52:09 AM »

I'm beginning to become torn about whether or not to have my game, Key of Ethios, be a 2D sidescroller, or a normal 3D type thing. The basis of my indecision is the concern over making boss fights epic with only two dimensions. Can anyone give me some examples of their favorite, epic 2D boss fights?
JoGribbs
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 11:56:53 AM »

EDIT: Posting that video has reminded me why the Oracle games were amazing.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 12:02:31 PM »

The final boss fight from Iji is what immediately jumped to my mind. It uses 3D space pretty well in an environment that, technically speaking, only really has two dimensions (e.g. the boss flies far away into the background and fires at you from a distance).
There's a lot of really cool boss fights in the Zelda series, as well, a few of which are in a sidescrolly perspective (and not just in Zelda II). Those don't use a lot of fake depth, but they still end up being cool in only two dimensions. If I recall correctly, the final boss in Oracle of Seasons was pretty neat, and from a side scrolling perspective.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.
Haha; that's what I get for using too many words.  Tongue
So, yes. See that video for reference.

...Oh, and the Contra series; there's fantastic stuff there. I was especially impressed with the bosses in Contra 4.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
JoGribbs
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:09:41 PM »

see also, from the greatest action game of all time.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 12:12:50 PM »

I've never played Gunstar Heroes; apparently I'm missing out?

Also, Cave Story does have some nice boss fights. I liked Monster X particularly.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
JoGribbs
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 12:13:57 PM »

Gunstar Heroes was the peak. We made the greatest action game in 1993 and we've been going downhill since then. The only thing we've done since is make action games easier in order to represent to those less skilled at video games what playing Gunstar Heroes was actually like.

Also, I second Cave Story.
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 01:40:13 PM »

Gunstar Heroes was the peak. We made the greatest action game in 1993 and we've been going downhill since then. The only thing we've done since is make action games easier in order to represent to those less skilled at video games what playing Gunstar Heroes was actually like.

I highly disagree with this statement...

ALIEN SOLDIER was the greatest action game of all time. Yessir, twenty-five epic bosses, all in a row, and I would even argue that its Seven Force is cooler too! (pro tip: alien soldier is nothing but good choices)

Then again, Dynamite Headdy had

, and I actually really like Gunstar Heroes...Let's just put the entire Treasure back-catalog in the list of epic 2D boss fights.
JoGribbs
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 02:39:26 PM »

I have never played Alien Soldier but I will emulate it procure it somehow.

Also:

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 04:01:47 PM »

i can't think of any epic 3d boss fights actually -- all of my favorite bosses are bosses of 2d games. doesn't mean they don't exist, just that i've never really encountered one yet. here's a few:

i think part of what makes boss fights epic isn't the bosses themselves, but the music. example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfez0wDCg-o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5FR_i-EbDc
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 04:14:47 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 04:50:02 PM »

Look at Treasure games.

Gunstar Heros isn't as "fucking crazy" as Alien Soldier, but it is extremely solid and well balanced I'd say, the boss fights are beautifully done.

For 3D boss fights I'd point to Sin & Punishment 2... it has some unbelievable variety and creative encounters, it also works for 2d thinking as all the mechanics are simplified down to 2d... you go from rail shooter to a 1 on 1 fighting game at one point, and it never has to force new tutorials on the player because of how well designed each scenario is.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 05:18:28 PM »

Alien soldier isn't very good gameplay wise, there is almost no challenge.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 05:21:48 PM »

Noitu Love 1 and 2 had really interesting boss fights, although "epic" might be the wrong word. Lots of other games (Contra, Metal Slug, Muramasa) have it the other way around with visually impressive boss fights that do not really provide anything a barrage of normal enemies wouldn't... But to name some examples.

Yoshi's Island. I liked how the bosses were all huge versions of the normal enemies, not very imaginative but it was pulled off well.

Legion from the Castlevania games, for sheer creepiness factor.

As mentioned, Muramasa had some impressive scenes but I think this one was especially beautiful;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETtH9izE87M

Aquaria had suitably epic boss fights;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_z735AcUlU
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 05:26:45 PM »

Seven Force is one of my favorite bosses ever.  Gunstar Heroes doesn't fuck around, it just throws a 7 form boss fight right at you early in the game.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 05:30:11 PM »

"Contra Hard Cops"  Gentleman Good night gentlemen

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
MaloEspada
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 05:39:50 PM »

anything konjak does and also metal slug games
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 06:06:57 PM »

julius belmont from aria of sorrow is a good example of epic despite him being the size of the player

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 06:08:19 PM »

Fuck yes on the love for Contra Hard Corps and Gunstar Heroes. Konjak is about the only person I've found who gives me that hard-action feeling of those games.

Only played through Contra 3 once, but I recall it feeling about as good as Hard Corps. Epic boss battles all round.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 06:11:17 PM »

Every Dr. Wily encounter ever. Most of the Sigma ones, too. In fact, a lot of the post-Robot Master stage bosses, and most of the minibosses in MM/MMX games as well. There's a lot of fun inspiration you can draw on, there. Super Metroid had a grip, too; and I love the end encounter of Metal Slug XX; they did so much stuff with just that one boss.

jwk5
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 06:16:43 PM »

Most epic 2D boss fight EVER!
Desert Dog
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2011, 06:18:56 PM »

I think Iji, Cave Story, and the Megaman games always pulled out great 2d boss fights.

Probably thee most memorable is in Iji, fighting Asha for the second time. He's flashing all over the place, unleshing screen-shaking powerful attacks, all the while having 'shadow' projections of him which you have to try not to react to when they attack.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic