Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411594 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 08, 2024, 05:04:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRogueWorld
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: RogueWorld  (Read 19824 times)
Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2015, 01:51:01 PM »

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it!  Gentleman  Beer!  Coffee

Roguelike platformer: RogueWorld
Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2015, 05:50:06 PM »

!Collision detection!
Redo-ing the inner workings of the player.

*There's a gif here, wait for it to load!*

I've finished with the player's collision detection, which is even better than the collision detection on my entities.
I'll eventually alter the entities to work on this same system.

I can scale things to a ridiculous degree and still maintain perfect accuracy, up to a point of ~1/10000th of a pixel (due to floating point inaccuracy)
If I make objects huge the game will slow down a bit, due to a huge amount of array checks, but nothing will ever come close to being big enough for that, so I think I'm good.

I'm very happy with this. The math for this almost broke my brain, but I somehow managed to do it.
The player checks with the level data array before moving to see if there's a collision. If there is a collision, it'll move to that collision point.
It goes like this:
For Y axis:
1.apply gravity/other forces
2.check for collision at where the player will be at
3a.if collision, set velocity to the difference of the player's y minus the collision point y
3b.otherwise, just apply velocity as normal
4.move player by the final y velocity
5.repeat for X axis

This makes it very efficient and work perfectly. It also prevents the bullet through paper effect, where if the player is moving fast enough, you can go through a wall. This method checks every tile you'll cover in one frame, so that'll never happen. It also works with any timescale. So if I set the game to run 10 times as fast (which is insane), everything will still work just fine.

http://higherorderfun.com/blog/2012/05/20/the-guide-to-implementing-2d-platformers/
^is very helpful (check type #2)

I'm gonna be putting titles on my updates now cause this devlog will be very long by the time the game is done. It'd be nice to quickly scan through and see the important features get added.

Thanks for reading! I've got lots of work to do with platforming physics/lighting. Next update may not be for a while.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 04:18:50 PM by Octopus Tophat » Logged

CaLooch
Level 0

lost in thought...

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2015, 08:27:08 PM »

I cant help but think there is some sort of gameplay mechanic lurking there with the scaling.  Kind of a katamari demaci sort of thing

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2015, 08:46:44 PM »

I cant help but think there is some sort of gameplay mechanic lurking there with the scaling.  Kind of a katamari demaci sort of thing
Yeah I might do something interesting with it. We'll see! I already plan to have a shrink potion that will make the player really small, which would:
-make you fall slower
-let you walk on water
-be invisible to enemies
-get through tiny holes
Also a grow potion which does some stuff. Not sure yet.

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2015, 10:16:32 AM »

Happy fourth of july!

I added a few more graphical effects.

Still no colored lighting. But I bet that'll make the game look super pretty.
(oh I was going to make the mushrooms bounce up and down when walking through them before I posted this, but I forgot)

Just for fun, I decided to spawn lots of particles from thorns.
(Just pretend these are fireworks for fourth of july!)

I'm trying really hard to not overdo the effects. But they just look really cool.

Here's a few songs. These are all probably fairly loud. I'll fix that when it's in the game.
For the jungle: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/6e8ivhta9orlfr2/The%20jungle.wav?dl=0
This is called "final boss" but I'm not sure about that yet: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ipzyb2qjgzcvt5c/Final%20boss.wav?dl=0
Sunset (the overworld has a zelda style day/night cycle): https://dl.dropbox.com/s/fzm3i6xkvj3f9jm/Sunset.wav?dl=0
Underground (This is a cave you can find sometimes that looks like an underground mario level): https://dl.dropbox.com/s/005n46ap7qsi8al/Underground.wav?dl=0
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 10:45:09 AM by Octopus Tophat » Logged

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2015, 10:57:16 AM »

[gif]

Coolest glitch ever!?

CaLooch
Level 0

lost in thought...

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2015, 11:48:08 AM »

Jackson pollock would be proud

mk
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2015, 07:27:23 PM »

Glitch or... random potion effect? Beer!

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2015, 12:27:12 AM »

Glitch or... random potion effect? Beer!
I was actually thinking this same thing  Cheesy
Some debuff could cause the screen to go like this temporarily. I'll make it semi transparent so you can still slightly understand what's going on. It'll be cool.

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2015, 05:26:23 PM »

!Colored Lighting!

Today I made colored lighting! Hooray!  Grin

Let me walk you through my journey.

First attempt at giving torches red light. Didn't spread right.

Lol what the eff.

Okay. Kind of working. Lights were blending with the blackness, so they got dark really quick and didn't spread much.

Bingo, they're working! Just gotta tune the light spread/penetration values.

Lookin pretty good!

Altered the torch color, and spawned a bunch of them.

Spreading is good, just maybe add more color.

Let's try obnoxiously green mushrooms, just for fun.

You have to really see it in action, but this color looks beautiful. I'll be using this color for night-time levels.

Final result. Hell yes  Cool

Sorry for the huge pictures Tongue
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:43:38 AM by Octopus Tophat » Logged

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2015, 12:48:24 AM »

OOOh nice looking lights! And that glitch is superb.

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2015, 06:27:54 PM »

Got these explody things that shoot spikes that damage you.
Careful where you shoot!

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2015, 09:43:30 AM »

Dear graphics people. Does anyone know how to pull off this effect from towerfall?

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to do this. How does the background not get effected by the lighting?
Some things are even half-visible, like the glass windows. I've been trying to figure this out forever and it's starting to drive me crazy.

nkm
Level 1

Ludere ergo sum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 17, 2015, 09:47:17 AM »

Different layers?

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 17, 2015, 09:56:54 AM »

But the background is behind the lighting layer. But the background is rendered in front of the lighting, or something. It's really confusing.
Like, if the background was really rendered in front of the foreground, like it seems like it is, where do the silhouettes of the blocks and everything come from?

Geoff Moore
Level 3

Game composer for hire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 17, 2015, 10:02:15 AM »

This looks superb!! Can't help with the lighting problem, but I love all the different effects you already have going on, and the level of procedural generatyness (yup, it's a word now) looks fantastic. It bugs me when "random" games keep coming up with the same stuff, if you can get everything working it looks like this will be a winner. Good luck!! Smiley

Composer for multiple Steam and Itch-released indie games. Listen/contact: https://geoffmoore.co.uk

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 17, 2015, 10:06:06 AM »

This looks superb!! Can't help with the lighting problem, but I love all the different effects you already have going on, and the level of procedural generatyness (yup, it's a word now) looks fantastic. It bugs me when "random" games keep coming up with the same stuff, if you can get everything working it looks like this will be a winner. Good luck!! Smiley
I hope you're not talking about that last gif I posted, because that's not my game. That's from the game "towerfall". If you're not talking about that, thank you very much.  Cheesy

Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 17, 2015, 10:19:42 AM »

This game looks really sweet with its lightning and procgen stuff, exactly the style of game I'd play :D
Keep up the good work!

Also, I'm not sure how you woud be able to do that lighting effect, I'm not experienced at all with that kind of stuff. With my zero experience I'd say you could perhaps instead of a layer apply some sort of shader on everything except the background, or is that not how it works?

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 17, 2015, 10:23:50 AM »

Thank you very much!
My knowledge on shaders isn't superb either, but I know a few things. But that effect just stumps me.

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2015, 06:21:58 PM »

Ok the creator of towerclimb actually made a shader plugin just for me to do that effect. He's awesome!
Like, he's really awesome, play his game.

I'll have some gifs to show off soon, once I clean everything up a bit.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic