Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411658 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 08:39:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)The great 2D non-pixel art game graphics appreciation thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: The great 2D non-pixel art game graphics appreciation thread  (Read 28563 times)
Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2011, 01:34:20 AM »

Dustforce:

Yeah, Dustforce looks nice, though some of the animations are a bit over-animated.
darthlupi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2011, 12:12:16 PM »

I loved Icycle for animation, interesting art style, fantastic little details!

Dampgnat.com

namre
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2011, 11:01:52 PM »

I loved Icycle for animation, interesting art style, fantastic little details!

Dampgnat.com
Oh, look there's a cat frozen in ice!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2011, 05:49:17 PM »

Icycle is great. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
namre
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2011, 11:15:56 PM »

Only in screenshots do I get to see the details in the games that I play. Most of the time I don't really notice them because I'm so engrossed in playing.

Kinda makes me think of how sad it is to put in all the effort and people not noticing it.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2011, 11:40:45 PM »

You may not notice it, but your brain certainly does.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
iffi
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 03:43:29 PM »

You may not notice it, but your brain certainly does.
QFT. I'm sure you would notice if the little details were removed, even if you would not be able to identify what exactly had changed.
konjak
Level 4

Bad to the bone.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2011, 06:23:20 AM »

Hmm. Muramasa animation seems really smooth. Does anyone have any idea how is Muramasa animated? Is it just high res sprites,  some skeleton system with some base polygons attached to it, or something else?

Seems like it would use quite a lot of mem if it's all high res sprites at a high frame rate.
Pretty much the same way as Odin Sphere. You can see from this sprite sheet that the characters are made up of pieces that are moved (or scaled) indivudually.

Adding to that they use morphing. It's amazing what a good morph can create from just two or three stills.
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2011, 03:53:20 PM »

Ghost Trick !!

done in a wonderful 2d style...it looks like pixel art but the animation makes me think it is 3d or vector, reminds me a bit of Waku Waku 7 and Out Of This World
http://www.youtube.com/embed/l38y6Rmwhn0
playable flash demo:
http://www.gamespot.com/misc/presentations/ghost-trick/index.html

Pu-Li-Ru-La (1992)
ok, pixel art technically.. but distinct for its time I'd say, listing it for the mix of assets..

Kramlack
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2011, 03:57:18 PM »

Did the door to her vagina open into... space?

Also, wow, Ghost Trick looks nice. I haven't been keeping tabs on it, but I was curious to see how the actual game looked.
pixhead
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2011, 08:48:41 PM »

Ive heard of wide but this is ridiculous Big Laff
sorry
Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2011, 11:31:09 AM »

Ghost Trick has superb animation, but uses 3d models. They do a fine job of making it look 2d though
One of the Beatles
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2011, 10:05:54 AM »

most games by mateusz skutnik

submachine 4

fog fall 2

daymare town
Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2011, 05:14:31 PM »

Everything about

for PS1 is awesome.
(click the link to see a game play video)

A lot of the time I can't tell if it's 3d or pixel art.
The shadow monsters are all mostly pixel art but some monsters are presented in 3d as well.
Most the time it looks like pixel art in motion though most all of the scenes appear to be 3d renders in most cases more than others.

The composition of each level is highly based on the rule of thirds.

Most 3d movie studios these days like Pixar work the rule of thirds all day in their animated scenes.
Traditional video game design and animation also followed these rules in some cases.

I couldn't find any decent actual screen shots of this game, the video does way more justice.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 05:27:32 PM by Bones » Logged

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2011, 11:50:05 PM »

Heart of darkness is a game I need to play. Chahi is a game design hero.

I've always liked Fancy Pants 2, but these picks don't really do it justice ('cept the last one). This is a pick based more on it's animation, but there are some really cool doodles for scenery. You've probably already played it...

The various hidden stages done by guest artists were the visual highlight. This one by The Swain happens to be my favorite.

World 3 looks amazing, but it's not anywhere near finished.

Funny someone should make this thread right when I pick up Muramasa. Just want to note, that amidst the skeletal animation and morphing, there are a ton of small pieces of hand animation littered throughout the world. It really is a beastly game in terms of graphics...
namre
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2011, 03:25:28 AM »

Ghost Trick !!

done in a wonderful 2d style...it looks like pixel art but the animation makes me think it is 3d or vector, reminds me a bit of Waku Waku 7 and Out Of This World
Wait, is ghost trick the new DS game? Or is it something else? Hmm...
Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2011, 03:30:15 AM »

New DS game by Shu Takumi (Ace Attorney 1-4).
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2011, 03:52:04 AM »

And it's mindblowingly sweet, and the animations are pure gold * n *
namre
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2011, 08:49:32 PM »

Aha! Then this goes on my to buy list!
the_dannobot
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »

Hmm. Muramasa animation seems really smooth. Does anyone have any idea how is Muramasa animated? Is it just high res sprites,  some skeleton system with some base polygons attached to it, or something else?

Seems like it would use quite a lot of mem if it's all high res sprites at a high frame rate.
Pretty much the same way as Odin Sphere. You can see from this sprite sheet that the characters are made up of pieces that are moved (or scaled) indivudually.

Adding to that they use morphing. It's amazing what a good morph can create from just two or three stills.
So is anyone in here capable of doing detailed sprites in the Vanillaware style?  I love that style, and I've got a whole game engine written in XNA, but my art skills aren't up to the task.

It's a 2d skeleton-based animation system, with keyframes & morphing, as well as stuff like ragdoll physics, a whole toolchain for quickly putting together animations, and all the systems for loading from metadata at runtime.

Holla

Dannobot on Twitter
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic