Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 04:53:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHow to Be a Tree
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: How to Be a Tree  (Read 120772 times)
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2014, 07:52:45 AM »

What in the world am I looking at? LOL

Poor eye though. Is it so much to ask to have a friend?
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2014, 11:42:54 AM »

Hey guys, you got mentioned on RPS!

Not as cool as your previous feature on the Devlog Magazine #15, I know, but still!  Wink

Congrats on all the exposition, I love How To be a Tree's novel concept a lot  Kiss
Hooray!  Thanks!

What in the world am I looking at? LOL

Poor eye though. Is it so much to ask to have a friend?
I'm definitely planning to allow you to be friends with Eye!  Eye will only accept you if you basically never move, though.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
jkd
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2014, 01:23:36 PM »

Great concept, funny dialogue too! I love the way it looks when those mouth dudes turn you into mulch.
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 25, 2014, 10:38:27 AM »

By the way I tried adding some simple color cycling -- here's how it looks now:

(how it used to look)

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 25, 2014, 11:16:13 AM »

I never wanted to marry a tree before but now here i am

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2014, 02:25:14 PM »

By the way I tried adding some simple color cycling -- here's how it looks now:

(how it used to look)
Dat integer overflow...
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2014, 04:24:30 PM »

Trees are pretty terrible at climbing stuff (especially because, hey, one mistake and you're suddenly at the bottom again) so I'm playing with one-way elevator platforms.  Not the coolest design but they really do help open up the level design possibilities I think ...

nekromantikko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2014, 12:31:51 AM »

This looks hilarious and quite fun, great work so far!
sephi_6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2014, 12:49:18 AM »

Do you think about the possibility to add skins to the tree? It would be interesting to play as famous trees like pocahonta's grandma or Barbol (yes, this one is not a tree, is an ent). They could have their own movement and jump style  Big Laff

jakegreer1992
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2014, 01:07:21 AM »

Do you think about the possibility to add skins to the tree? It would be interesting to play as famous trees like pocahonta's grandma or Barbol (yes, this one is not a tree, is an ent). They could have their own movement and jump style  Big Laff

The great deku tree? Smiley

So much motivation, so little time!
sephi_6
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2014, 01:17:55 AM »

Hahaha, it would be funny to watch how that giant tree twists trying to walk and jump  Cheesy

kyotokid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2014, 03:14:52 AM »

Woah, I love the look of your game, I'm now officially interested Smiley

-Ivan

Ivan
++Team Aozora++
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2014, 05:48:58 AM »

http://aveneca.com/cbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=393&p=150304#p150304

You may thank me when I've made you your first million.

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2014, 10:22:16 AM »

That could be fun -- maybe some day!  When I started making this game initially, I actually was trying to make a super general system where players could even design their own trees, but it turned out the physics system and controller code I'm using right now is just not good enough to do that.  So right now I'm mostly just focusing the game on the one tree, and a couple more carefully-chosen ones.  If I ever find / write a 2D physics engine that's really good at handling complex articulated bodies, I definitely want to revisit handling more diverse trees ...

http://aveneca.com/cbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=393&p=150304#p150304

You may thank me when I've made you your first million.
Haha, cool.

Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2014, 11:05:08 AM »

This is absolutely fantastic, and I love the character the eyes and such add to the feeling. It's a weird mix of serenity and brutal dismemberment. Definitely looking forward to this, although I wonder how difficult the tree controls are to master?

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2014, 11:59:35 AM »

This is absolutely fantastic, and I love the character the eyes and such add to the feeling. It's a weird mix of serenity and brutal dismemberment. Definitely looking forward to this, although I wonder how difficult the tree controls are to master?
Thanks!  Yeah, it's pretty hard to master.  Balancing difficulty is something I worry about a lot, actually.  I'm playing with a branching level structure, with optional challenge levels, to help allow people to avoid getting stuck.

Also thinking about some physics tweaks to move the sim slightly away from 'what the physics says' and more towards 'what the player expects' -- e.g., if the player is holding 'right,' put a bit of extra bias in the sim to move the player right.  I'm worried that this might lead to some weird behaviors though, so I'm approaching it with some caution ...

Anyway, here's a gif from one of the level paths I've been putting in lately:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 04:59:26 PM by Zaphos » Logged

Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2014, 10:32:38 AM »

Experimenting with some tree bondage ...

(with hopes to make the difficulty curve more gentle: By binding the tree to 'closed branch' mode for a level or two, I'm giving the players a simpler control space to navigate, and hoping that helps them find useful strategies more easily.)

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2014, 10:36:47 AM »

That's so charming. Look at that little tree learning to move. There's a bunch of personality in those animations.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
mickmaus
Level 1

walkying waylking

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2014, 11:21:28 AM »

i... l-love you

Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2014, 12:45:04 PM »

This may end up being the single greatest game I see this month.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic