Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 12:55:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallPIXEL - A pixel art documentary
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: PIXEL - A pixel art documentary  (Read 2888 times)
lavalevel
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2010, 03:59:39 PM »

Hey guys!
My name is Simon Cottee and I've thrown together an 11 minute documentary on Pixel Art, Chip music and the rise of pixel imagery, games and animation. It features interviews with Jason Rohrer, animator Joe Brumm (Dan the Man) and chiptune artist Dot.AY.
I would very much love for you to take this nostalgic and not so nostalgic trip with me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mqAZ06dwKU

Thanks guys
ChevyRay
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 04:11:36 PM »

Yo man, you be pimpin your stuff on our forums, which isn't cool, but since it's a pretty sweet idea for a documentary I'll go easy on you. Generally we appreciate it when new members Introduce themselves before link-dumping us with whatever they're working on, be it commercial, indie, movie, or game.

That said, cool little documentary. Can you upload a higher resolution video somewhere, though, such as Vimeo perhaps? Documentary focusing on the evolution of visuals would be much more appreciated with a bit crispier resolution.

Good work Smiley
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:18:12 PM »

This was pretty cool, nice job. Beer!

But as Chevy said, this needs a 720p or 1080p version.
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 05:00:08 PM »

Nice! Here's the comment I left on your video:

Great documentary! I agree that pixel art (as opposed to more highly detailed mediums) is able to abstractly convey the meaning of something, leaving the imagination to fill in the rest. I think one of the main problems with our culture today is that we're experiencing a sort of entropy of the imagination because the media we have isn't leaving anything to our imagination. I think this is one of the reasons that pixel art is making a renaissance in our culture.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 06:06:35 PM »

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=155.0

Please read this thread before posting, and properly introduce yourself. And no, you cannot forget the image of Mario and that boy. It is forever burned into your mind. You're welcome.

I'll be moving this to Announcements.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Kramlack
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 06:49:02 PM »

This is simply amazing. This is what I'll point people towards when I show off my pixel art from now on.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 07:27:39 PM »

Me likey!

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
lavalevel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 08:45:19 PM »

Woops! I apologise, I finished it real late and figured I should share it with you guys prior to dying in bed.
Thanks for the feedback!
I was originally going to make it all HD but as I'm sourcing most media from youtube I had to bring my own resolution right down so they wouldn't get too crazy blown out. Call it guerrilla stock footage getting.
So ahh... introduction time!

Hi. I'm Lavalevel/Simon Cottee.
I'm a 2D animation student in Brisbane and a big fan of the indie scene.
I've made a few pixel animations such as:
This film clip

And this sleep is death animation

Thanks Melly for moving me around appropriately, haha. I kinda just euphoria stumbled into this forum while firing my gun. (Red Dead hangover)
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 09:49:38 PM »

I like this.

JoGribbs
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 06:47:38 AM »

Ah man, this is awesome.
Kekskiller
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 07:05:53 AM »

Oh man, that sequence of games in the end was a bit too fast. I even had to stop it here and there to see the titles. It's a nice documentation but you should really sum up the games you showed there.
lavalevel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 08:07:33 AM »

Yeah I very much agree. I wanted to credit everything, so I did it with the little captions, but I also wanted all the info contained in the video. So it's kinda a "pause and go back" deal.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 10:12:43 AM »

This was very good. I appreciate what you did with it.

Pietepiet
Pixelhead
Level 9

hello <3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 12:33:11 PM »

Got linked to this by a friend earlier today, loved it. Smiley
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 01:37:56 PM »

I love Jason Rohrer, but his pixel art....

@doomlaser, mark johns
shipwreck
Level 0

Run and shoot, shoot and run.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2010, 02:22:14 PM »

Finally got around to watching this. Very well done!
pixeltao
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 09:08:08 AM »

Very nice! So many people don't understand pixel art Cry ... It's good to have people who can share the passion and explain what it is. Good job! Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

namre
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2010, 06:42:04 AM »

Watched this on a another site. But yes, I found this one pretty cool. ^_^
Barefists
Level 1

Prepare for unforseen consequences.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 06:59:15 AM »

Great video. 

Honestly, I'm one of those who didn't really understand pixel art until very recently.  I couldn't comprehend what was everyone's fascination with something that was quite obviously an outdated form of digital imaging, in the face of applications like Photoshop and Maya. 

Incidentally, I was taking a media arts class in college that that time, and my lecturer said something that helped me understand it:

Painting was once the epitome of realistic imaging.
When photography was invented, paintings were relieved of their duty and freed for artistic pursuits.
When film was invented, photography was relieved of its duty and freed for artistic pursuits.
When colored film was invented, b/w film was relieved of its duty and freed for artistic pursuits.

Similarly, as digital imaging and animation advances, earlier forms of digital imaging are then freed for more artistic pursuits.  We see that with pixel art right now, and we are starting to see it with 2D sprites in general as 3D takes over the mantle of realism.

If I had this guide I might have had an easier time understanding it, so its really awesome that you made this, I'll pass it around to people who ask me about pixel art in future. Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic