Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411597 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 11:35:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessThe unknown Indie developer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: The unknown Indie developer.  (Read 14324 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: September 25, 2011, 06:57:49 AM »

I wonder, how many people out there have the dream of going Indie full time, but never quite make it?
I am develop games part time. I have a "real" job. Luckily this job is very dynamic so I work only part time(and full time) when I want.
However, the "big dream" is to go indie full time. And what stands between people and this dream is usually money. The natural way to achieve this dream seem to be to make money out of indie games, and this is what most indie developers might attempt to do?
I dunno, I guess I have two questions.
How likely is for an indie developer who tries to make game after game to make one game that will gain popularity.
How many Indie developers who want to go full time, never succed in achieving this dream?

It's just the thought that make me shiver that maybe I will forever make games and never have any "succussful" game?

I hope this topic isn't to vague.

Master of all trades.
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 07:21:50 AM »

Releasing a game and "hoping" for it to be a hit rarely happens, you have to take initiative and promote yourself and your game. Go to GDC and such. Email press and 'high profile' indies and anyone else who you think could help you out.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 07:56:08 AM »

So basically what you are saying is that there are a few people who are in key positions that can make big difference? And only they count?
Either Journalists, people working for portals, or some indie developer which have a big audience?

Master of all trades.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 07:57:16 AM »

you're never going to make it big
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 08:04:06 AM »

trolololol.
Nice trolling buddy.
And I ask you, please don't pollute my thread, but I know you can't resist...

Master of all trades.
MattG
Level 5

Pictures Of Trains

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 10:29:06 AM »

There is allways someone bigger until you are Ira Rennert.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 11:10:23 AM »

The starting point is to make a game you know is genuinely good.  Even just a prototype.  It can go a long way.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 11:14:38 AM »

take control of the means of distribution

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 11:27:28 AM »

take control of the means of distribution
why

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 11:45:05 AM »

it's better to be a wolf than a sheep

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 12:20:11 PM »

it's better to be a wolf than a sheep
but it's even better to be a sheep with money.  Hand Money Left Steam Hand Money Right

Nix
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 12:42:12 PM »

Don't rely on Steam, though. Plan on not making it into Steam -- do your own marketing and sales, and then if Steam takes you on, it's all extra.
Leroy Binks
Level 0

Team Lead

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 12:50:59 PM »

but it's even better to be a sheep with money.  Hand Money Left Steam Hand Money Right

And that's why little games stay little.  Take charge, take initiative, take control, or take a backseat.

There are plenty of pixelated programmers pounding out products of peculiar playability at a prolific pace with purported profits.

This reply has been brought to you today by the letter "P"
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 01:12:01 PM »

Don't rely on Steam, though. Plan on not making it into Steam -- do your own marketing and sales, and then if Steam takes you on, it's all extra.

True, your own marketing and sales are most important, and it's not impossible to a small dev make money from a in-site buying route (see minecraft, VVVVVV at the beginning). Realing on getting to Steam is unwise, but if you get to it at the end and if you think the type of game you're building is suitable to it, go for it. I didn't meant a Steam-only solution with my first post. Wink

And that's why little games stay little.  Take charge, take initiative, take control, or take a backseat.

I just don't get it. Look at Terraria, do you think that as a "little game*"? Just because you're in shoulders of giants it doesn't mean you're going to give up your creative control. Sure you as a "sheep" have to abide the rules of Steam, the "wolf", but Steam is a great place to be selling games and by what I've reed Steam is a great place to developers too. Cthulhu Saves The World, for example, went to Steam and got a lot more sales on the "evil" Steam than on Xbox Live Indie Games, so I don't get all the hate on digital stores.
*by little game I assume "a game that didn't get much popularity"

Leroy Binks
Level 0

Team Lead

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 03:20:55 PM »

I meant the same thing, hoping for Steam, depending on a sponsor, or resting on your laurels.  Sheep mentality. 

There are plenty of pixelated programmers pounding out products of peculiar playability at a prolific pace with purported profits.

This reply has been brought to you today by the letter "P"
BrianSlipBit
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 03:39:38 PM »

Agreed!

However, with Windows 8 and Microsoft's new App Store, I see things changing--in a big way.   Probably in a way that's not so favorable for Steam either.  However, it's too early for speculation like that, so I'll just say that I think there's hope on the horizon in the form of the Win8 App Store.

And yes, it will likely end up filled with shit just like every other "App Store", but at least it won't be like rolling the dice as to whether or not your app/game is accepted like with Steam.

P.S. Yes, it will likely require that you use DirectX, but who cares if your primary target is going to be the PC? Smiley

brothers74
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2011, 04:27:58 PM »

steam not an assured thing... i recomend you get game out on website and give people the website so they can se it +send links of website url to people in high places...

we rescued breakfeast

the dick that wouldnt die finised
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 04:55:07 PM »

basically what everyone else said. promoting your game is at least as difficult as making it, and most indie devs don't really have the knowledge or inclination to do so, so they lose out financially do those who do have that knowledge and inclination. games that succeed are usually games that were promoted well, either by the developer or by someone else

i believe wolfire, an indie developer, has two people doing full time marketing. out of a team of six. that's like 1/3. you don't need to go to that extreme (a third of your time spent promoting the game, the other two-thirds making it) but it's a good rule of thumb. if, like me, you find yourself spending less than 1% of your time promoting the game and 99% working on the game, that's probably too little. some of the most successful indie devs have even recommended that 50% of your time be spent promoting your game, and 50% making it. i wouldn't really do that myself, since i don't find promoting games as fun as making them, but that is what a lot of the most successful ones recommend

Uykered
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 05:03:12 PM »

Think its better to spend more time on your game, and less time spamming people.
Nix
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 05:05:08 PM »

spamming != good marketing
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic