Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411710 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 20, 2024, 09:03:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsVerumsomnex+ (A Dreamlike Puzzle Platformer)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Verumsomnex+ (A Dreamlike Puzzle Platformer)  (Read 15435 times)
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2015, 11:26:19 AM »

Update #18:
Sorry for the lack of real updates last week, I've been quite busy. I've mostly been planning and doing graphical tweaks, Most of the actual programming has ben on the map, which I don't want to show off yet. Here's some stuff I've been working on. I'm trying to go back and finish up the first cave area.

Mostly what this is telling me is I'm going to need to research how surfaces now work in GM Studio and get rid of the inconsistent resolution so that rotated objects don't look absolutely terrible.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2015, 11:32:40 AM »

Noooo why did you do this Cry
GMstudio scales graphics just fine. You should have started making the game in the resolution the pixel art is at.

Oh well. Surfaces aren't too hard once you grasp how they're drawn.
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »

It is made at the pixel art resolution. Right now the scaling is just done via views, which results in this unpleasant mixed resolution for baffling reasons.
Anyway, I'm going to need to do some surfaces anyway for effects in a few rooms.
Canned Turkey
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2015, 03:01:40 PM »

My Word!

Baffling indeed, it should scale correctly if the room is in that resolution.
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2015, 03:28:19 PM »

Yeah, unless we're having a mutual misunderstanding. It scales things vaguely okay except rotations and draw_line and similar render at display resolution, not room resolution. I may do an uninstall/reinstall of GM since it's been acting a bit weird overall (ie my collision code suddenly broke after one update).
Canned Turkey
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2015, 03:36:32 PM »

The Wport and Hport values should be equal to Wview and Hview.

EDIT: Also, it seems that you need to fix it for every view you use.
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2015, 07:42:47 PM »

Well, that was embarrassingly simple Embarrassed Just had to use window_set_size

Oh well...
stringkiller
Level 1

Fat Pixel

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2015, 05:37:49 AM »

Posting to follow! This game is looking great, keep it up man!

< check out the devlog! or Twitter!
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2015, 09:12:17 AM »

A couple of gifs from transitional areas I've posted on Screenshot Saturday but not here:

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2015, 04:04:15 PM »

Update #19:

Someone on Screenshot Saturday had commented on the GB-inspired levels looking a bit noisy, and I had to agree. Not sure about this revision though.

I'm having to rebuild the Floating Island level to fit better with the scope of the rest of the game, so I'm taking the opportunity to try and make the environments feel a little more alive.

Any thoughts on the art direction appreciated.
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2015, 03:18:42 PM »

Update #20:
For such a nice round number there's not much going on that I can show off yet.
Just some more work on the revised Floating Island stage (added the fans, so forth).

I've mostly been working on map-type stuff and the level unlock processes.
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2015, 12:49:26 AM »

Update #21:
Due to finishing up the semester and applying to graduate schools, it's been a long while since I made enough progress for there to be much worth posting. However, that's done with for now, so I'm back making some progress.

I just started on the Boat area. This is an area that wasn't in the original plan, and involves working your way through passenger areas (pictured below) to crew areas, and eventually storage. It will be one of the three areas accessible after you complete the initial Hospital area, along with the Island and the Caves.

I'm still finishing u the design for the level as a whole, so these are basically mockups, but should give a good taste of the style. Not sure about the actual floor tiles in either, though, so those will likely change.
chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2015, 02:18:35 AM »

Aw man this game has charm, looking good so far.

I was gonna make a comment about the god-awful font from page 1, then saw that you updated it.

I could say a good bit since I'm a font nerd, but in short, if you need someone to make you a font, hit me up. I love making pixel fonts, and it'll be no trouble for me. Or at least, if you decide to make one, I'd love to review it and help make it as readable/unique as possible.

Here's what I did for your most recent one, in case you wanna know what I'm capable of Smiley

In any case, I will be following this, and I hope to play this one day.

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2015, 07:23:52 AM »

Thanks for the enthusiasm!

I've been holding off on doing anything with fonts because I haven't decided whether or not to overhaul the dialogue system to be more cutscene-like, which will have some impact on the size of font that will work. Anyway, I'll definitely get in touch when I get things a little more nailed down.  Wink
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2015, 01:38:26 PM »

This looks so cool! Keep it up  Smiley
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2015, 05:03:58 PM »

I'm glad to see you're updating again.

Any chance of a playable albeit unfinished build at some point soon?

QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2015, 10:48:37 AM »

This looks so cool! Keep it up  Smiley
Thanks for the support!

I'm glad to see you're updating again.

Any chance of a playable albeit unfinished build at some point soon?
I'm definitely looking to put together a demo or two in the coming year. However, while things don't necessarily need to be complete, I do want them to feel finished enough to give a good impression of the game. Given that I've recently been redesigning areas like the Island which was the furthest along, it may be a while.
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2016, 04:15:44 PM »

Update #22:
Rather than showing random screenshots with relatively little explanation, I thought I'd talk some about the design philosophy of the game. A lot of puzzle games involve something like pushing boxes onto switches in order to open a door, or something like that. As the game progresses, there will be more objects to push around, keys, more switches, and an ever-increasing demand for spacial reasoning skills.

There is nothing wrong with this sort of puzzle game. But Verumsomnex uses an almost completely opposite philosophy: rather than predictable elements that have to be arranged in consistent ways, the game has relatively few consistent elements (almost none between levels) and they typically do not act in the same way in different puzzles.

The goal of this is to create a dreamlike feel to the game, rather than a strict logical one. However, it's also important for the game to not feel arbitrary. Let's take a look.

Note: This explanation will reveal the solutions to a few puzzles early in the Island level. If that's going to ruin your enjoyment of the game, and you can remember it for the months it's likely to take me to put together a demo, look away now.

So you stroll into this room. There are buttons on the floor, TVs on the ceiling, and a door that needs to be opened for you to advance. What is the solution to this puzzle?

A logical guess might be that is has something to do with the TVs up above--say, press the buttons under the lit ones. Let's give that a try:

This is not exactly what we hoped for: pressing a button just randomizes what TVs are lit up. There is no clear pattern.

Instead, let's look outside the room for clues. In order to get into this room, we passed an NPC. His comments may have seemed like they served no real purpose, just some flavor text.

In fact, what you have to do to get the door open is to not try any combination. Just sit there and wait. The door will open a set amount of time after the last button press. In order to solve the puzzle, you just need to take Reginald at his word.

Next we run into another set of buttons--this time with no TVs. There's no helpful NPC either. In fact, we have no clues available in this room. Waiting doesn't seem to work. The buttons this time stay stuck down though, unlike the last time...

Well, those TVs must have been there for some reason.

(If you happen to have changed what TVs are lit up, you'll need to push that set of buttons.)

This is a relatively straightforward couple of puzzles, but should give some idea of what I'm trying to do with the game. Solutions are not based on spacial reasoning or consistent mechanics, but rather by general clues and educated guesses.

If people like these longer posts, I'll discuss various strategies for avoiding the frustration searching for these solutions might cause in a later update.
QOG
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2016, 02:19:50 PM »

Update #23:
More of that refurbishing stuff I've been working on for the island:

I don't know about the accent tile things in the walls up top, those will probably get a change. I also want to add some kind of small plant, but haven't settled on quite what just yet.

Also working some more on the Boat level, which is proving more difficult that I expected it to be, from an art standpoint. This is a first class area, with an Elevator track in the middle.

I was trying to make it clearly upper-class by having very high ceilings, but given that this is a boat, that probably doesn't work too well.
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2016, 03:35:33 PM »

First screenshot looks cool, I like those background animations. Second one doesn't really read as a classy boat to me. Maybe try a really ornate chandelier in the center of the room?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic