Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 04:39:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRogueLegends
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: RogueLegends  (Read 13086 times)
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 07:27:50 AM »

I agree with Quarry and The Rookie.

Some FEED BACK:

* ASCII characters art-style does not fit at all as it's very clear these are not characters but full-fledged tiles (anti-aliasing is a dead giveaway) and if you're using tiles, use tiles. There was a time and place for such style but not now nor this game.
* The font face does not fit. It's too ... round ... too modern.
* Text on the message box button does not fit the bounds.
* The > character seems to be above the message box a little. Could be some edge thing.
* It's all a bit boring, I mean it's been done to death. What's unique about your take on the rogue-like? You stated that one of the uniqueness is that everything is very random. That is good. I guess. To some people. But where is the personality in that? The game should tell something about its author, but if all is decided by rolling some numbers, where are you in all that? If the author/author's identity gets lost or it feels like playing a spreadsheet then the game is not likeable aka. no one cares.

This is all I can comment as this is all you've given us to ponder on.

Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 04:59:53 PM »

The UI design is very bad in my opinion and there's nothing interesting about your roguelike
It randomly generates the objective(retrieve the item , kill the bad guy or  get all the peices of the true cross (or some amulet) or a combo I have never seen a roguelike that does this, the closest is dwarf fortress adventure mode, where you can do what you please. The game also  has more then one generator ( 3 to be exact) which is chosen for each playthrough.Each dungeon will be throroghly unique, so you get a compeltely different experience (in adventure terms) each playthrough. whats wrong with the UI i would love to know so i can fix it, i like critisicm, and it is helpful in order to design a good game.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 05:24:53 PM by Untrustedlife » Logged

@@@My Website@@@

You bash the Rat in the stomach with the banana
///////////
The rat is struck down
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 05:00:39 PM »

You know I was expecting more people to reply.

You haven't really told us a lot about your game. And the double posts are kind of annoying IMO. And try not to post so many full screenshots in a single post, some people have slow internet and will cause them to be stuck on a page forever. try links instead. Not trying to be a dick, just my thoughts.

I will keep that in mind im -relatively- new to foruming.

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 05:20:49 PM »

I agree with Quarry and The Rookie.

Some FEED BACK:

* ASCII characters art-style does not fit at all as it's very clear these are not characters but full-fledged tiles (anti-aliasing is a dead giveaway) and if you're using tiles, use tiles. There was a time and place for such style but not now nor this game.
* The font face does not fit. It's too ... round ... too modern.
* Text on the message box button does not fit the bounds.
* The > character seems to be above the message box a little. Could be some edge thing.
* It's all a bit boring, I mean it's been done to death. What's unique about your take on the rogue-like? You stated that one of the uniqueness is that everything is very random. That is good. I guess. To some people. But where is the personality in that? The game should tell something about its author, but if all is decided by rolling some numbers, where are you in all that? If the author/author's identity gets lost or it feels like playing a spreadsheet then the game is not likeable aka. no one cares.

This is all I can comment as this is all you've given us to ponder on.

Thank you, though i stated that it uses tiles in the first post. It does show a bit about me, i love randomness, i love adventure. I stated a bit more of the uniqueness in the reply to Quarry. Im not an artist and my friend who used to do the art for my games just went to college so i cant ask him to help (im in high school).I also stated that I plan on adding tilesets.Im also sorry ive been a bit vague, but i dont like giving away alot of info.I also want the game to feel different each time you play, more different then most roguelikes.I even threw around an idea of adding different controls ( a few different control templates) that would be chosen at the beginning. Though i figured this would just be annoying.You see ive always loved roguelikes, and the more different each time you play the better, imo. I plan on adding situational things like you pick up an item in a  room that is booby trapped and it causes that room to start collapsing. The idea is that the adventure is (completely) different each time, so different and so varied that you never want to quit playing.I love it when games throw stuff at you thats different, i want this game's procedural generation to surprise even me, the programmer.That is my goal. I know it seems crazy, but im a very persistant person and I plan on compeleting this goal.

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 07:05:25 PM »

And the double posts are kind of annoying IMO.
Devlogs tend to be a more okay place for multi-posts, from what I've seen.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 07:15:08 PM »

Still he could easily merge those triple posts he did in this page
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 08:52:49 AM »

THESE SCREEESNHOTS ARE OF THE OLD GRAPHICS STYLE AND ARE NO LOBGER REPRESENTATIVE OF THE GAME

New graphics style, and I think i know how to make it less generic, its not finished yet, but i got the new tiles done, imo it is light-years better then the first style. So what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:17:11 AM by Untrustedlife » Logged

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 09:32:34 AM »

Tiles aren't tiled properly, the UI still looks bad
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 10:09:23 AM »

how are the tiles not tiled properly they are on a fixed grid, they are tiled properly, and i am not sure how i can make this UI better, its a roguelike its completely keyboard based. The "UI" is just for info. though i did make all the fonts the same and it looks all around better (no screen shot of this) (this screenshot was before i fixed the UI)  i also made the messages closer together so they never get in your way. The message boxes look much better now and more in-line with the games art style, i also changed the information font to the same as the text boxes.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:19:44 AM by Untrustedlife » Logged

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 10:22:16 AM »

Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 10:32:42 AM »

THESE SCREEESNHOTS ARE OF THE OLD GRAPHICS STYLE AND ARE NO LONGER REPRESENTATIVE OF THE GAME

I see what you are saying, the UI, isn't part of the tile system, I fixed the spacing problem after i posted the screenshot, the reason that the space is at the bottom is because it is designed to not be full screen (the bottom part is a glitch). it looks fine when its not in full screen. The @ sign isn't actually cropped, it fit perfectly into the 32*32 square. The bats are actually cropped a little bit though (but its cropped to fit into the tile), Ill see if i can fix some of the other issues you pointed out though.I appreciate you pointing them out. (edit) i fixed them you will seen them in the next screenshot thanks :D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 06:17:42 AM by Untrustedlife » Logged

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2012, 10:39:59 AM »

Why does it look deformed if it fits perfectly, I'd suggest using font rendering instead of tiles
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2012, 10:46:11 AM »

Why does it look deformed if it fits perfectly, I'd suggest using font rendering instead of tiles
  Wink the @ sign only looks odd because that's what the font I used for it looks like, also with the font im using there is a drastic difference between 29 and 30 px. I tried to keep it all 30, I fixed the spacing problem in the UI, and i now have room for other parts and it will all look neat and organized. Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:54:09 AM by Untrustedlife » Logged

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2012, 01:40:05 PM »

Ok , let me tell you guys how this roguelike is unique, you get a completely different adventure each time you play, the first time you play you may be in a dungeon trying to retrieve the amulet at the bottom. The next time you play you might be in a catacombs trying to find and kill the lich at the bottom, the next time you play you are in a Huge forest, with the odd cave, trying to find and destroy the amulet that has corrupted the forest. This is just the beginning , i also have it set up to give each dungeon its own unique properties, no other roguelike has done this.

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2012, 07:00:53 PM »

i've added so much, you guys will be pleasently surprised when i put out the screen shot ...  Wink

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
crazyheckman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2012, 07:34:54 PM »

You should take that as a note.  People don't just "not reply" here, you should take it as a sign that your game needs more work before it's really interesting to others.  To be absolutely brutally honest a text based roguelike, even with a complex random story generator, seems a bit stale.  Dwarf Fortress is a kind of weird outlier, it has a bunch of other qualities to it that people love and they just kind of put up with the text based god awful interface.  Look at how many more people are interested in things like Gnomoria, which is the same type of game, just a lot prettier.

Also if you look around at other games, people care a lot more when they have a demo or something to play and critique.  When you only have screenshots, they judge you on visuals.  When your visuals are Lucida Console text, people tend to look towards other things.

Again, not trying to be a dick.  Your game looks good, it's just a bit inaccessible to people more inclined to visual stimulation in my opinion.

On a personal note, if you completely changed the style of the game to look something like Castle of the Winds I would be freaking out about it.
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2012, 05:46:44 AM »

Ok guys so im not going to be putting out screanies for a bit, im almost done with a possible download (for an alpha version) so you can play, one question, what do you guys thnk of ascii art bosses? water worms that look like wwwwwq with tails that move etc., sorry i dont have screens of the new UI ( I also improved the graphics more), theres also complex combat now, and many other features and enemies, and leveling up of skills.

Im going to start on bosses tonight, so i want to know if you guys like the idea of ascii art bosses. I also plan on starting on the *side* dungeons (speical b-dungeon (dlevel 1-b, dlevel 5-b) levels specific to the plot and/or level you are on (rat nests (large labyrinths with a rat king ) , serphant holes (large stronghold castle-esque ruins that have a Medusa room) these dungeons will be entered through special rooms on the level you are on and can be on more then one level) (you can have one rat nest on the second dungeon level (2-b) and another one can be on a different level (5-b) they will be generated as part of the dungeon generation algorythm entered  from special rooms) so they wont be on every delve.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:28:05 AM by Untrustedlife » Logged

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2012, 09:58:54 AM »

Well i've implemented the first special room its a room where all four corners have a statue on them that gives vague information about a specific enemy, the statue looks like the enemy but is usually a different color (based on the material), they also block sight. I have testers now, but they are not on this forum, sorry,not sure when it will be ready enough to give out a download link.  Grin

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
Untrustedlife
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2012, 06:37:14 AM »

You should take that as a note.  People don't just "not reply" here, you should take it as a sign that your game needs more work before it's really interesting to others.  To be absolutely brutally honest a text based roguelike, even with a complex random story generator, seems a bit stale.  Dwarf Fortress is a kind of weird outlier, it has a bunch of other qualities to it that people love and they just kind of put up with the text based god awful interface.  Look at how many more people are interested in things like Gnomoria, which is the same type of game, just a lot prettier.

Also if you look around at other games, people care a lot more when they have a demo or something to play and critique.  When you only have screenshots, they judge you on visuals.  When your visuals are Lucida Console text, people tend to look towards other things.

Again, not trying to be a dick.  Your game looks good, it's just a bit inaccessible to people more inclined to visual stimulation in my opinion.

On a personal note, if you completely changed the style of the game to look something like Castle of the Winds I would be freaking out about it.
Please note that, that is the same feel that I want for my game , things people love, even though it is text based, graphics are skin deep roguelikes are about gameplay not graphics because you have less time to worry about gameplay things that are interesting like kicking down statues and causing a chain reaction that causes other statues to fall down eventually killing a medusa. Or the idea of chopping down the pillars of a room causing it to collapse and equipping the body of a rat as a weapon and beating a giant beetle to death with it. Sure it lacks some real cosmetics, but its still fun as heck and interesting. I have worked on the graphics and they look good, but now I realize I have tile set support so if you want better graphics make your own tile set. I want my roguelike to be interesting and fun to play and full of simulation. So I’m working on that from now on. Its easy to make your own tileset for this game. The game colors them with code you don’t need to color it yourself. In my game if you want better graphics make your own white-gray tile set. Im worried about gameplay

@@@My Website@@@

///////////
The rat is struck down
crazyheckman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2012, 07:06:49 AM »

If you're adding tileset support that's great.  I was just mentioning that more people would be interested right away if it had even a sub par tileset as the people here have a slight inclination towards artwork more than gameplay.  If you're having fun creating it, then keep trucking.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic