Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411592 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 08:31:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTemplevania
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Templevania  (Read 865 times)
SoulBlade
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2012, 10:55:38 PM »

Join me as I revisit my child-hood religion and reimagine it into what I believe the Book of Mormon truly is: a blueprint for the greatest video game ever.

The following information is from www.templevania.com's About page.

About
Templevania is a game that originated from a magical book known as The Book of Mormon.  There are many ways to perceive this book.  Some take it literally and follow the words to the letter, calling themselves "Mormon".  Some call it a work of fiction, criticizing serious things like Magic Undergarments and serious people like Joseph Smith.  And still "others" look at the book, and they do not even comprehend this idea of "following" it, or attacking serious things.  No, instead, these others look at this magical book and see an immersive video game world of death, betrayal, power ups, mysteries, and bosses.

Enter Templevania, the other perception of The Book of Mormon realized in form.

Immersive, Historical Storytelling
Templevania is an action-adventure platformer with RPG elements (with a few similarities to the epic game Castlevania: Symphony of the Night).  Taking the role of a fresh Elder Missionary, you explore the depths of a Mormon temple and uncover its secrets.  You will encounter characters found in The Book of Mormon and advance through sacred temple ceremonies that will challenge your Elder's beliefs.  Along the way, you will have your Faith empowered in ways that allow you to utilize the powers of your Holy Priesthood to advance to the top of the temple, obtaining the true glorious Testimony.

What secrets await you in this vast, endless temple?  What terrors lurk in the shadows?  Just how many cows will Johnny Lingo have to pay this time?

Epic Character Progression
The Elder won't be going in without some serious firepower.  Armed with his all-knowing The Book of Mormon, the Elder can use his Faith to conjure all manner of magical abilities.  As more foes are defeated, the Elder will increase his level of Faith and gain great strength -- some would even say the strength to move mountains and shape the world.

Equip and upgrade new Suits and Magic Undergarments to protect your Elder from attacks.  Insert Ear-Plugs to avoid status ailments from enemies that curse at you.  Receive blessings from legendary Mormon characters and gain new powers.  Locate mythic artifacts such as the Urum-in-Thummim, the Sword of Laban, and many others.  Summon dangerous and powerful allies such as the Holy Ghost and A Horde of Baptised Jewish Zombies to melt the faces off your enemies.

Intricate World with Legendary Boss Fights
Explore a massive temple with huge areas to uncover.  There are treasures to find, countless enemies to fight with great reward, and mysteries to discover in every area.  All these areas are based on locations found in Mormon temples and in The Book of Mormon.  Progress in a non-linear way through the temple and explore it.  Fight great bosses such as the Possessed Baptismal Font, who sends tortured enthralled souls intent upon dragging you deep within the waters, the Immortal 2000 Stripling Warriors, and so many other memorable and historical bosses.

Always Journey with a Companion
The Elder doesn't have to go through the arduous journey alone -- he can call upon or join Companions!  Play with your friends in full multiplayer and explore the depths of the temple together.  Experience is shared with friends and loot can be grabbed by anyone, so watch out for those smelly, greedy, socially awkward Companions! 

More Information
Please watch this thread and visit www.templevania.com to get more information and participate in the development of this game.  I've got alot of great plans for it, and in spite of the humorous subject matter, it will be a very well made game that is a great deal of fun and reminiscent of the classics, updated for modern times. 

DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:05:38 PM »

I, Dan, having been born of Mormon parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of the faith, find this absolutely hilarious.

I wonder if anyone else here will get as much of a chuckle as I have Wink  Looking forward to updates

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 11:13:10 PM »

Comedy Gold.

SoulBlade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:20:14 PM »

I, Dan, having been born of Mormon parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of the faith, find this absolutely hilarious.

I wonder if anyone else here will get as much of a chuckle as I have Wink  Looking forward to updates

Cheesy

Glad you like it, Dan.  I'm hoping most people find it more on the "funny" side as opposed to the "offensive" side.  I've been toying with this idea for a long time and I really think it's going to be a lot of fun.

Myself being Mormon for 21 years of my life (I'm 24 and agnostic now), I wanted to revisit this thing in my past which I've looked at with disdain for a long time.  Ever since I started conceptualizing this project, Mormonism got a whole lot more joyful in my eyes!

DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 11:28:13 PM »

similar story here.  I'm 23, athiest-agnostic, left a couple years ago.  I certainly see the funny side to it.  I've had similar cravings to add commentary on mormonism to a game - but in a more subtle and non-comedic fashion.  There certainly is no shortage of content you can explore.  Best of luck to you

No way of avoiding it's inevitable offensiveness to some mormons who find this though Wink

SoulBlade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:28:10 AM »

similar story here.  I'm 23, athiest-agnostic, left a couple years ago.  I certainly see the funny side to it.  I've had similar cravings to add commentary on mormonism to a game - but in a more subtle and non-comedic fashion.  There certainly is no shortage of content you can explore.  Best of luck to you

No way of avoiding it's inevitable offensiveness to some mormons who find this though Wink

Yeah, I'm sure some will be offended, but I do feel most will see the humor.  Thank you for the support.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic