Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411515 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 06:54:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEndaeva - A Universe-Sandbox RPG!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Endaeva - A Universe-Sandbox RPG!  (Read 3591 times)
SoulBlade
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2012, 01:21:14 PM »

UPDATE 6/11/2012:
Gameplay video showing new lighting experiment:

Description:

Endaeva is a tale of death, rebirth, and evolution.  It follows the progression of an alien race of creatures powered by the stars themselves.  You are one of those creatures, a newborn, pitted to survive and grow among the old iterations.  There is only one goal on your mind: become strong enough to be the first to journey towards the center of the largest glowing light in the sky.

This game is about possibilities without bounds.  Most games limit you to a linear world and a controlled path.  I wanted a game where there were no such restrictions.  Where I could fly into the air and not hit an invisible wall; indeed, where I could fly from the ground into space and beyond.  A game where the points of light in the sky were more than just points of light, but destinations to explore with intrigue.  Where nothing is off limits, not even the most dangerous of objects.  With this in mind, my game arose.

No one example can describe what I've already made and what I envision, but throughout my life I've been inspired by great classics such as Megaman X, Supermetroid, Digger, Castlevania, R-Type, Final Fantasy Series, Terranigma, and others.

Elements from many of those greats along with alot of my own unique ideas all come together in Endaeva.

If you like what you see, and would like to know more, I've began a kickstarter to raise funds for this game and get a feel for the interest of it:

--------------------------------------------------------

Here are some key, unique, interesting features:

Fully modular character system

Fully destructible, persistent universe, filled with worlds

Enemies that drop every component that they are, giving you the chance of acquiring it

Intriguing back-story.  Though my game is not story-centered, I still want to make it make sense.

Massive variety of gear to loot and acquire -- and in my game, more loot means more enemies!

Depth of an RPG, complexity of a simulation, all with the simplicity of a shooter

Unique character progression

The ability to seamless transition from the ground to the sky -- NO loading, NO starmaps!

Great depth in items to equip, include: Base body, arms, guns, boosters, wings, engines, physical shields, energy shields, swords, hammers, bipedal legs, hover systems, wheel systems, and MUCH more not yet developed but planned.

Variety of stats, including: 6 damage types with unique properties and armor to match each, recovery, regeneration, health, salvage ability, and more.

The ability to not worry about all those stats and still have fun!  

Gravity changes depending what world you're on, what location in the world you're on, and the environment.  Yes - you can get things in orbit on smaller bodies.  Yes, there is no gravity at the center of worlds.  Yes, if you dig a GIANT hole, you can enter an endless loop falling through each side .

And much more!

--------------------------------------------------------

Most importantly, I would love feedback on the video I've shared and opinions on the ideas I'm integrating into this game.

Thank you,

Thomas Pereira
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 02:48:17 PM by SoulBlade » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 02:54:30 PM »

I watched the video - it's really cool how much work you put into the game. The biggest (in fact, only) real drawback to me is the graphic style - I'm not a huge fan of the way everything looks. I feel that it could use some polish, but this is an alpha game, so I understand that it's not finished.

I really like the idea of physics-based fighting and gameplay, and that it's skill-based rather than level-based. In short, it sounds and looks like a really cool game.

Windybeard
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 04:07:02 PM »

I just watched the video, This game looks awesome, i absolutely love the idea of picking a speck of light and thats my destination!

Really impressive, i will be watching this closely!

SoulBlade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 08:55:09 PM »

I watched the video - it's really cool how much work you put into the game. The biggest (in fact, only) real drawback to me is the graphic style - I'm not a huge fan of the way everything looks. I feel that it could use some polish, but this is an alpha game, so I understand that it's not finished.

I really like the idea of physics-based fighting and gameplay, and that it's skill-based rather than level-based. In short, it sounds and looks like a really cool game.

Thank you for the feedback!  I definitely will be working closely on the art.  It's far from where I'd like it.  I would be extremely interested in hearing more specifics about what is off or wrong about the art style, it's definitely a "living style" that I've changed a couple of times already.  Any feedback in that area would help me greatly. 

I just watched the video, This game looks awesome, i absolutely love the idea of picking a speck of light and thats my destination!

Really impressive, i will be watching this closely!

Thanks, I appreciate it.  I've been waiting for something like this nearly all my life and it never came...so I figured I'd give it a go! 

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 09:37:08 PM »

Thank you for the feedback!  I definitely will be working closely on the art.  It's far from where I'd like it.  I would be extremely interested in hearing more specifics about what is off or wrong about the art style, it's definitely a "living style" that I've changed a couple of times already.  Any feedback in that area would help me greatly.

Sorry about that. I don't like receiving non-constructive criticism, and yet I should have been more specific. One part is that the GUI when visiting space feels a bit too desaturated to me. The yellow 'charging' particle effect in the video feels like it's blurred at the edges, but not the alpha - just the color. The particle effects all have this feel, like they're animations rather than actual particle effects. Try using an additive blend mode for particle effects to get more of an 'electric', energy feel.

The trail behind the white ship in the video at 1:14, for example, could be a little more transparent (it starts off at 100% alpha; try setting it to be 75% or 50% to start out).

Just little things like that, mostly.

SoulBlade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 09:59:42 PM »

Sorry about that. I don't like receiving non-constructive criticism, and yet I should have been more specific. One part is that the GUI when visiting space feels a bit too desaturated to me. The yellow 'charging' particle effect in the video feels like it's blurred at the edges, but not the alpha - just the color. The particle effects all have this feel, like they're animations rather than actual particle effects. Try using an additive blend mode for particle effects to get more of an 'electric', energy feel.

The trail behind the white ship in the video at 1:14, for example, could be a little more transparent (it starts off at 100% alpha; try setting it to be 75% or 50% to start out).

Just little things like that, mostly.

No apologies necessary, I'm very excited to be getting feedback!  I appreciate you elaborating more.  I agree 100% with what you've said.

On the topic of the GUI...an interesting thing about the GUI is that the entire HUD can be customized as far as colors go.  So, for a few examples...

So the reason it's desaturated is for the custom coloring.  I chose a more neutral color by default, though I may adjust the defaults.  My goal is pretty simple:  Everyone is different, so I let them choose what is best for their eyes when it comes to GUI elements.

Thanks for the feedback on particles, I definitely have some work to do on them -- I agree with what you've said and intend to implement those changes.  I wrote the particle engine from scratch and have some pretty cool features in them, I will need to add some sinusoidal color/alpha functions and that should allow what is needed.

SoulBlade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 03:36:59 PM »

Added:  Save/loading.  Currently an auto-waypoint based system, I'm going to see how it works and tweak it.

I'm getting pretty close to an alpha release, can anyone recommend a web-hosting solution? 

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 04:56:03 PM »

That customizeable GUI is awesome. I don't know much about web-hosting, though, sorry.

SoulBlade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 07:37:27 AM »

That customizeable GUI is awesome. I don't know much about web-hosting, though, sorry.

Thank you!  No worries on the webhosting question.  Hopefully a guru on the topic'll drop their heads in...

SoulBlade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 12:43:34 PM »

I've done some heavy editing and work on my Kickstarter and updated the main post description.  I'm hoping I can get more feedback here.  Well, worst case scenario I'll return to my man-cave and continue to be one of those crazed isolated indies   Crazy

Oh!  I almost forgot!  Wanted to show off the mono-wheel leg equipment.  It has variable rotational speeds, radius, and a whole bunch of other properties.  I haven't made graphics for the one I have equipped yet so I have to use debug draw, but it's too cool not to show...

A little bit about this item, there will be large versions like the one shown that have high armor values, lower speeds, and can encompass a smaller main body, thus providing a "shield" like effect.  There will be smaller ones that are mainly for mobility.  There will be some that have spikes on them that hurt enemies when you run over them.  Lots of possibilities with this leg, just as there are with the other current legs (bipedal and hover).
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 01:29:46 PM by SoulBlade » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 07:35:38 PM »

Great that you're not giving up on the Kickstarter - keep at it!

I like the mono-wheel - it looks like it's pretty good for building speed.

I'm sure you've thought and added this, but I think it'd be cool to add a hover leg part that shoots exhaust when you accelerate, which makes it double as a kind of make-shift flamethrower.

SoulBlade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 12:29:57 AM »

Great that you're not giving up on the Kickstarter - keep at it!

I like the mono-wheel - it looks like it's pretty good for building speed.

I'm sure you've thought and added this, but I think it'd be cool to add a hover leg part that shoots exhaust when you accelerate, which makes it double as a kind of make-shift flamethrower.

I tend to be stubborn to a ridiculous extent so I'll keep trying.  I really want this project to happen and happen right. 

I do have cool things like that planned among many others...

Added the intro scene to the page.

SoulBlade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 09:28:40 AM »

I felt like showing what this game was many months ago.  I actually sort of like alot of elements from what it used to be, however incomplete they may be.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 12:29:20 PM by SoulBlade » Logged

SoulBlade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 02:49:45 PM »

I added an experimental lighting system.  Check out the new gameplay video to see it in action.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 05:57:08 PM »

Cool project, will follow to see how it develops.

I think the UI needs a major graphical cleanup, you should keep it really simple. Good luck! Smiley

SoulBlade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 06:33:30 PM »

Cool project, will follow to see how it develops.

I think the UI needs a major graphical cleanup, you should keep it really simple. Good luck! Smiley

Thanks, will be following yours as well.  I appreciate the tip as well; GUI is definitely getting changed at this point, saw someone say it made them "gag" when they saw it  Concerned

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 06:43:45 PM »

I personally like really simple flat GUIs.

But if you really wanted to have a 3D look, then the shading needs to be fixed up. At the moment its dirty, but you can brighten it up with metallic or more shiny shading. The thing in the middle needs to read better too, its just a weird abstract sculpture. :D

SoulBlade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 11:57:04 PM »

I personally like really simple flat GUIs.

But if you really wanted to have a 3D look, then the shading needs to be fixed up. At the moment its dirty, but you can brighten it up with metallic or more shiny shading. The thing in the middle needs to read better too, its just a weird abstract sculpture. :D

Thanks for the tips, I think you're absolutely right on all those points.  I was going for a mouse-looking thing to represent left and right click of the mouse, but it just never was exactly right.  And, you know...artists eyes kick in X_X

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic