Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411654 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 11:42:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCommedia Dell'arte: The Game
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Commedia Dell'arte: The Game  (Read 68502 times)
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2009, 06:31:56 PM »

Me, too- I personally would love to do the Hunger and Interruption bits. We definitely need to have the Tooth gag in there, too.
Arlecchino
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2009, 08:18:47 PM »

And I am glad the links proved helpful. The lazzi listed at the second link is, I must admit, very much entertaining. In case you still want more lazzi, I have a document listing some of my favourite lazzi from where I can send you some.

My signature is basically a made-on-the-spot piece of dialogue in an imaginary setting. In my mind, it was Arlecchino trying to scheme with the Innamorato.

I have been thinking about a certain common plot scheme we might be able to use occasionally. Sometimes, identity confusion occurs at Commedia dell'Arte. Perhaps, you can make a shrouded, mysterious sprite which is the standard "Character in Disguise" sprite? The disguised character can then wreck more havoc onstage, especially with misidentified people.

"What if you go a-rowing with Isabella? No? Then what about giving your father a dive in the well instead? No? What if we pour flour on Dottore's head? No? What if - oh, oh, I smell sausages!"
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2009, 10:23:28 PM »

I love the idea for this game.

Theo, your sprites don't match the dimensions that you say they have, you should be aware of that. In Photoshop just go to the resize dialog to see their size in pixels.

It's a good attempt, but there's too many inconsistencies. Here's my stab at the first few characters, while trying to fit your style:

aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2009, 05:44:54 AM »

Theo, are you working at 72 DPI? Make sure that's the case. That's the only thing I can think of that could possibly cause that kind of inconsistency with pixel dimensions.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2009, 06:21:11 PM »

Shoot! I've been making everything at 300 DPI. Silly me- I have it automatically set at that rate for my illustrations so that they don't look jagged, but I suppose that's why the pixel sizes are wrong.

The more I think about it, the more I think that using a pre-made pixel font will save us a lot of time/effort. I can work on pixel typography later- right now the basic movement animations are what I'm focusing on. I know someone had a link to a couple of fonts that looked kind of pixelly, but does anyone have a file of an actual pixel font they'd be willing to lend? I imagine Malec could really use it for the prototype.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2009, 06:26:13 PM »

Actually, I could, for now, just use the pixel font I downloaded for Dadaists Gone Wild.  It seems pretty basic and functional.  We can choose a new one later on if we want.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2009, 12:05:50 PM »

Just an update, I've been working on a list of various Lazzi, objects and interactions to incorporate into the game.  This is definitely not a game I want to jump into without doing a lot of planning first.  Crazy

Theo, if you've got any ideas for Lazzi/abilities that you want me to put in the game, make sure to write them down in some sort of list and send them to me.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2009, 04:02:48 PM »

but does anyone have a file of an actual pixel font they'd be willing to lend?

One which you might like.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2009, 11:02:09 AM »

Developing more assets, including basic walk cycles and HUD elements.

shig
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2009, 11:12:13 AM »

Would the character get points for making the crow laugh?

Actually, will there be a crowd?
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2009, 11:14:54 AM »

Yes, one of the things we're considering is an overall scoring/rating system for the game as a whole for pleasing the crowd, generally by making them laugh.

We have no plans at this time to involve birds capable of laughter.   Wink

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2009, 11:41:14 AM »

There will be a crowd- I just haven't done those sprites yet. The way we've currently got it set up is by having two different scoring systems. The first is for each individual; by fulfilling their Desire, they get more points, with the goal being to get the bigger chunk of the audience's love and praise at the end. Meanwhile, there is also a group score- after all, you're actors, and you depend on your fellow stage-mates to make the show work. So, while you get points individually for fulfilling your own goal, everyone gets a boost when there are multiple Desires fulfilled.
shig
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2009, 11:58:27 AM »

oh man i love having a DELETE FUCKING EVERYTHING AND SHUT DOWN COMPUTER button right next and between the Enter and delete keys!

so i can lose two paragraphs of text i just typed and everytime I type it's like an adventure. like russian roulette if you will.

We have no plans at this time to involve birds capable of laughter.
i dont want to play this game anymore

I suppose this game can be kind of cooperative, then?
You could either try to get a fine balance between all characters getting as much possible for their objectives and make the group win or make your own character win alone.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2009, 04:42:53 PM »

I suppose this game can be kind of cooperative, then?
You could either try to get a fine balance between all characters getting as much possible for their objectives and make the group win or make your own character win alone.

That's the idea.  I think this can lead to some interesting dynamics which could improve the comedic aspect of the game.

Well, I could probably convince Theo to put a couple laughing crows in the audience.  Wink

Arlecchino
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2009, 09:56:47 PM »

Now, everything starts to make sense. And finally, an update! I've been shadowing the site quite often, hoping to see an update, I must admit. Noir

Quite a good idea, that is. To play the game and get a good end score, therefore, the players must not only play for themselves, but must also co-operate in making the audience roll all over the floor laughing their heads off. I applaud the idea.

"What if you go a-rowing with Isabella? No? Then what about giving your father a dive in the well instead? No? What if we pour flour on Dottore's head? No? What if - oh, oh, I smell sausages!"
Afinostux
Level 2

Forgotten Beats

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2009, 11:43:35 AM »

Well, I could probably convince Theo to put a couple laughing crows in the audience.  Wink

In all seriousness, this looks like a terrific project. The mechanics so far sound a lot like a nonlinear mario party. Am I missing something?

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2009, 06:37:52 PM »

I hadn't thought of comparing it to Mario Party, but I suppose it's a legitimate link. This is more or less a party game- one with a dorky premise, even as party video games go, but it is one all the same.

Malec: I'm thinking about how I should design the crowd animations. I know it shouldn't be anything terribly complicated, a couple frames of nudging and such, but how much should I break it up for you? My thoughts were to have multiple rows, and then three different individual "audience" sprites- three different people, essentially. Then again, we'll need a lot of sprites to make it look good, so would it be easier on GM to just condense them into rows?
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2009, 07:12:10 PM »

Yeah, it would probably be better to put it together into row sprites rather than individual people sprites.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2009, 06:42:30 PM »

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2009, 08:38:37 PM »

Er...I meant for the audience, but seeing the characters in a row is cool.   Gentleman

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic