Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411558 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 12:02:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallAGameAWeek : 1 year on...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: AGameAWeek : 1 year on...  (Read 3067 times)
Jayenkai
Level 1

Every Week

View Profile WWW
« on: August 03, 2009, 04:36:06 AM »

52 weeks, AGameAWeek = 52 games, right?!
Perhaps.

The only way to find out is to read the super-duper lengthily written retrospective on my stupid idea for a website!

Swarmer tried it, but Swarmer gave up after one game!
That leaves only one possibility..
I'm insane!!

I write AGameAWeek, and I've got over 350 games to prove it!!
---
Load, Next List
cactus
Makeout King
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 05:45:20 AM »

Impressive. However, I find your site to be missing some key elements. First of all, I couldn't find any way of counting your games without having to go through your site and look at all the blog entries. If your emphasis is on how many games you've made, then why not add a big game counter so that people will easily be able to see how productive you have been.

Secondly, and this is more important, I would've liked to see a page dedicated to the games you thought turned out really well. I had a hard time picking a game to download, and I ended up not trying any of them at all.

Anyhow, this is very inspiring. I might try something similar at some point.
Jayenkai
Level 1

Every Week

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 05:57:57 AM »

Yeah, I've always wanted to organise my own game site, but.. dang, that'd take FOREVER!!

There's the year's worth of AGameAWeek, but that's only the past year!
I've been coding tons of stuff in Blitz since 2000, I've done a bunch of DS games, I've got MS Smartphone, and J2ME stuff, and then QBasic in Dos, Amos on Amiga, and even good old Amstrad CPC stuff that'll probably never get transferred off the old 3" floppy's at this rate!

I've always liked to have had a nice simple-as-can-be flat file database to hold it all in, and have it all be searchable, include images and things.
But it's one of those "Maybe Later" deals that never really gets a look in, inbetween me continuing to build the games.

If anyone has a useful but simple database (Download link for each, Image for each, system specs, quick description, extra link to blog page) that they'd like to suggest, feel free, 'cos apparently I'm too busy to build one!

---
Load, Next List
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 10:08:37 AM »

wow that is quite a lengthy part 1 post!

a directory (with a screenshot, short description and a little rating) of some kind would indeed be a very useful thing.

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Jayenkai
Level 1

Every Week

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 12:53:17 PM »

I've had a nosey around, for most of today, and just as I had trouble the last time, would you believe it, there's still nothing that's actually useful online.

1) Type title, description.
2) Choose image file.
3) Choose zip file.
4) Click button.

Is there anything that just makes a database from that?
Is there <insert swear word of your choice>...

So, as per usual, I'm doing it myself!
It might take a while, and I'm also having to continue this write up at the same time.
And AGameAWeek!
And Socoder work.
...  bah!

---
Load, Next List
Jayenkai
Level 1

Every Week

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 05:30:31 AM »

Didn't want to doublepost, but figured I'd bump this to suggest that I'm nearly done with the writeup.
Parts One, Two, Three and Four are all available, with Part Five popping up early tomorrow.

Luvly stuff!

Meanwhile, I decided to give up looking, and I've started working on my own database thing, 'cos all the ones online are either garbage, or WAY more complex than they should be for their purpose.
Having a gallery of thumbnails every time you want to post something is nice, so long as you don't have 100+ games to post, and have to keep sitting there, waiting for the gallery to load up, and flicking through desperately trying to find the one image you only just uploaded.. Stupid online rubbish!!

That should be done, um, later!  I now have to flick through all my games, grab screenshots of them all, and upload them all again, one by one..  Lots to do!!

---
Load, Next List
Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 07:09:19 AM »

That leaves only one possibility..
I'm insane!!

If anything is sane in this world, I would certainly put my guess on a person with enough self-control to make 52 games a year.

Hmm, I guess JNKPlat3D09 is a favorite of yours, right? Anyway it looks so hilarious so I'm gonna play!

Jayenkai
Level 1

Every Week

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 01:20:28 PM »

Thanks.
I'm having a bit of a break from it all, atm, and instead focussing on a side project.
Actually, I've another side project, too, that I seem to have forgotton about.  Should finish that off, really.
Meh, lots to do!
I'll get back to AGameAWeek once I've the motivation to start again.  As it is, the lack of interest throughout a whole year of doing it has left me with very very little motivation at all, and I'm a bit bummed out by it all.

---
Load, Next List
increpare
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 01:35:12 PM »

As it is, the lack of interest throughout a whole year of doing it has left me with very very little motivation at all, and I'm a bit bummed out by it all.
That's what communities such as these are good for.  Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your stay  Beer!

I've been unofficially, and in a rather on-and-off way been doing a game-a-week thing this year.  It might be fun/encouraging to set up a thread where we could keep track of runs? (make a game of it, like).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:07:36 PM by increpare » Logged
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 02:13:44 PM »

Wow, this is really impressive. I'm a bit daunted by the kind of determination you obviously have.
Ninteen45
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 03:09:58 PM »

Cactus multi account?

I haven't goten a chance to play any of them, But I'm determined to play every single one!

Can't wait to see what else you make!
Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 10:43:05 AM »

Platdude's pretty awesome - Thanks to, or despite his animations, not sure. At least I like the double-button jumps, it makes jumping very swift. The game's pretty difficult, and it gets interesting with the keys and switches, I like it!

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »

Hey, welcome, Jayenkai. I've seen you around and actually thought you'd do well to join this place.

Jayenkai
Level 1

Every Week

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 11:50:07 PM »

Thanks all.
I'm making preparations to begin Year 2.
I didn't really give myself that much of a break, but a few things happened this week that got me into that "Automatically coding something, even though you weren't going to" mode, and I ended up making a game this week!  D'oh!

Guess that's me told!

I've never been the type of person to crosspost things all over the place.  Which is probably also the reason why my games never get seen, but I dislike spamming sites, especially when I'm making AGameAWeek.
If I were to make a topic for each and every game, there'd be 7/8 topics by me in the announcement section, within just a couple of months.
It's very very messy!

I might do a Kaizen, and make my own little "AGameAWeek" thread, and post every new game inside that.  Any complaints to me doing that?

Jay's Celeron is Dying, Abstract Complaint #182 (A list of complaints that are worth mentioning, but probably have little or no relevance to the rest of the world) : The amount of animated gifs on the posting page (all the smileys) is slowing down the text entry box!!

---
Load, Next List
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 07:03:28 AM »

I might do a Kaizen, and make my own little "AGameAWeek" thread, and post every new game inside that.  Any complaints to me doing that?

No! This is a thing you should be doing!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 08:03:46 AM »

Do this, yes!

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 08:59:19 AM »

Do this, yes!
good idea!

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic