Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411712 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58456 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 12:52:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsL.E.D - a platforming "hack-em-up" - Devlog 2: Costumes and Combos
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: L.E.D - a platforming "hack-em-up" - Devlog 2: Costumes and Combos  (Read 1087 times)
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2016, 06:54:57 PM »

| initiating LED.gmk |

What if there was a world, where law and crime became one?
What if there was a world that had technology in all human bodies?
WHAT IF THERE WAS A WORLD WHERE TECHNOLOGY COMMANDED ALL?
Enter L.E.D.

Hello, Tigsource! I've been wanting to share this project for a while now, and I have been showing a lot over at my twitter (@CrabbyDev) and on the LED Devlog website (http://ledgame.tumblr.com), but I love the tigsource community as well, so here it is.
I've also got a simple screenshot from the demo to show here.

L.E.D is a game that I'm going to call a platforming "hack-em-up". It also is going to have quite a rich story, with a wide cast of characters. The art style is simplistic, and may seem grey and dreary, but I intend to use bright colors to make the landscapes seem huge and pop with color.
Inspirations:
Anime (tropes/character influences/gameplay?)
Assassin's Creed (in a way)
Undertale (humor)
Art of "Neo Tokyo" (Neon colors)

L.E.D uses the mouse for many hacking abilities, such as the base hacking when you hover the mouse cursor over any object marked as hackable by a white dot.
Other hacks are spawned with clicking, and some influence the main character or others.
Oh yeah. Speaking of that, let's talk about the characters.

~CHARACTER.PDF LOADING 100%~
Marie

A serious hero who uses LED technology, Marie always is ready for a fight, not of only strength, but of intelligence as well.
She is the main character, and who the player controls.

Sakura Ti

A kind, friendly cosplayer friend of Marie, who is the source for all of the Costumes in the game.

~ ERROR |PATCHING IN PROGRESS| ~

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 08:17:51 PM by Crabby » Logged

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 04:05:52 PM »

Here's a link to a gif showing of basic hacking/platforming.

Edit: Wow the gif embeds here, but it's awfully slow. Here's a direct link if anyone's interested in better footage. http://imgur.com/8OWnYXo I'll keep working on better quality.
Edit 2: fixed it
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 07:07:03 PM by Crabby » Logged

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 04:41:40 PM »

Devlog 1

NEW GIFS
Here's a brand new gif showing off Ranged Hacking. This specific hack is the Sakura Sword, which comes from a fictional character in L.E.D's universe. The hack flies across the screen, activating any objects in it's path. It is activated by pressing the D key to cycle to it, and then is activated by a left click. The sword spawns at the location of the cursor.

For a refresher, here's the first gif again.

CONTROL EXPLANATIONS
Time to explain how L.E.D works from a control standpoint.
L.E.Ds main character, Marie, controls with the arrow keys currently, which I realize isn't popular, but I plan to have WASD (or just A and D) as an option as well. Hacking works by using the mouse and cursor placements to make the boxes drop and create the Sakura Swords.

I'll show off more gifs tomorrow, and the source of the Sakura Sword hack as well.
Until tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 07:07:51 PM by Crabby » Logged

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 03:52:06 PM »

UPDATE ON UPDATES
wow what a headline
Just wanted to say that I don't think daily posting is going to work. I'm going to pace myself, going whenever I have something to show. Expect the promised material from the previous devlog soon, probably by the end of the week.  Smiley

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
lobstersteve
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 11:03:37 AM »

A little tip: upload your gifs to imgur and embed the link between tags. That way you embed your gifs directly here. It's better received that way..
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 11:51:17 AM »

Thanks. I'll edit all of the gifs in the devlog to fit that format. I had forgotten how to directly imbed gifs that way.  Smiley

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 07:10:28 PM »

I've fixed the gif issues! Now that that's done, expect a new devlog update by this weekend!
 Smiley

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 07:33:36 PM »

Devlog 2

This is a clothing rack sprite.
You may ask, why are you showing me a sprite, especially of a CLOTHING RACK.
Well, this is the explanation for the Sakura Sword Hack.

COSTUMES
Marie, our main character, has a friendship with a character who makes costumes.
(Information about Marie and this other character will be posted in the initial post soon.
These costumes allow Marie to perform different hacking abilities, such as the swords
BUT WAIT!
Where do the costumes come from? Well, the costumes can come from buying an item and showing it to this character to get a certain costume. Once you do that, the costume is yours for the rest of the game.
There will be many costumes, and costumes can also interact with LEDs. What are LEDs? Glad you asked.

LEDS
LEDs in L.E.D's universe stands for Life Editing Diodes. They also give Marie new abilities and powers, by injecting themselves into her bloodstream.

Yellow will increase agility and accuracy. Red causes rage and anger. Blue causes introverted feelings and shyness.
These can combine with Costumes to create special hacks. Red + Sakura Sword = A more powerful, damaging attack.
The examples given are just 3 LEDs. There will be more.  Smiley

Expect some gifs soon of these features in action!

CrabbyDev

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 08:18:00 PM »

~CHARACTER.PDF LOADING 100%~
Marie

A serious hero who uses LED technology, Marie always is ready for a fight, not of only strength, but of intelligence as well.
She is the main character, and who the player controls.

Sakura Ti

A kind, friendly cosplayer friend of Marie, who is the source for all of the Costumes in the game.

~ ERROR |PATCHING IN PROGRESS| ~

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
SiJaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 11:46:07 PM »

I like it conceptually!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Looking forward to see what the range of puzzles will be with that mechanic. You might want to consider to make the characters interacting on their own, while the player is basically using their hacking abilities to create a path for them. That way the player can focus on one element and the autonomously acting characters create additional things to consider (i.e. timing, abilities etc.)

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 04:09:18 AM »

I like it conceptually!  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Looking forward to see what the range of puzzles will be with that mechanic. You might want to consider to make the characters interacting on their own, while the player is basically using their hacking abilities to create a path for them. That way the player can focus on one element and the autonomously acting characters create additional things to consider (i.e. timing, abilities etc.)
Thanks!
I plan on timing being more important in the game. The gifs I've shown are from the demo level I have been making, so I'm keeping it simple, to ease the player into the mechanic. I'd love to have some timing based hacking in future levels, and the game is going to be more difficult as it goes on. There will be more timing in boss fights too, which I've started to think about recently.

Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic