Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411731 Posts in 69403 Topics- by 58455 Members - Latest Member: Sergei

May 22, 2024, 02:21:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralPapercraft: Quake Shambler making of
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Papercraft: Quake Shambler making of  (Read 4350 times)
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« on: August 20, 2008, 02:36:13 AM »

Yesterday, after watching Arne's Kawaiik - Quake 1 redesign project i tought how cool would be to have a shambler plushie, i can't do plushies so i ended up trying to do a shambler papercraft.
Of course i'm not the first nor the last doing it but the other shambler papercrafts i saw were always full of ugly lines around, so i wanted to start it from scratch.
I downloaded Pepakura Designer, exported the shambler .mdl from Quake's Pak0.pak and started to unfold the model, unluckly it's my first papercraft so i ended up with a really-hard-to-do unfold at first, then searching on the web i found this one: http://cow.mooh.org/paper/.
It's a really good unfold, but it's full of those ugly lines i hate, and also, the texture is kinda overly saturated.
I shamelessy copied his unfold making a maybe slightly bigger version without the lines and with a more correct color, then i printed it in several A4 sheets and here we go:

Fist of all, I glued together two sheets to make the paper more thick, if you have card, maybe it will work better, if not just glue together two normal sheets and you'll be ok.

Here's the head, the easier part so far

I used a glue stick to fix the pieces then i added a trasparent tape layer in the inside to make the structure even stronger

Then yesterday was too late to do complex stuff like the arms so i started with the legs and the lower part of the body, there are some tricky parts but it ended up very well for me. here's the front:

and here's the awesome hairy shambler butt

While working on it i used the shambler model as reference, importing it into Milkshape, was very useful to have an accurate version that followed the real lowpoly model shape without having the lines printed on the paper

And finally here i glued together the head\upper torso part with the legs\lower torso one:

in the next episode... ARMS AND CLAWS! stay tuned  Cool
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 02:39:51 AM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 02:43:28 AM »

Whoa, what?  Awesome! :O
increpare
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 03:14:26 AM »

beautiful dude :D
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 03:21:43 AM »

Yeah, Quake 1's models are low poly enough to make paper version out of them :-).

~bs~
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 03:33:47 AM »

Yeah, Quake 1's models are low poly enough to make paper version out of them :-).

and they're extremely well done too, adrian carmack did a great job.
This model has only 284 triangles, the only stuff that's not so good is the UV unwrap, basically the texture is a simple front and view side of the model so the model has several uv distortions on the sides, but who care when you have a bloodthirsty monster shooting you a lighting bolt up your ass? Wink
Also those distortions maybe adds to the model overall feeling, giving him a look like his skin is really stretched by his muscles on the neck for example, i love it.

If this one goes well i'll slowly try to do an Ogre papercraft too, if i manage to catch some spare time

_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 03:35:08 AM »

Now I want a papercraft of Marcus Fenix  Beer!

Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 03:36:10 AM »

Actually that was Kevin Cloud, Andrian Carmack never got into 3D :-).

Personally i would love to make an Ogre or a Fiend...

~bs~
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 03:53:11 AM »

Actually that was Kevin Cloud, Andrian Carmack never got into 3D :-).

Personally i would love to make an Ogre or a Fiend...

oh cool, but the texture and the concept is by Andrian right? Anyway quake models are hot stuff Smiley
I'd love to have also a skull wizard from Hexen II.
The fiend looks like a good model to start, maybe the long arms are the most difficult part... i'll see if i can unfold it too

Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 04:05:50 AM »

Actually the problem with the fiend is that you need some support sticks or something like that because there is no way it will stand like in the game :-).

Give some credit to Kevin, he did almost as much artwork as Andrian :-P. And i'm sure the textures are Kevin's since in a Paul Steed interview/tutorial/presentation/something i read at the past he said that Kevin did all model work in Quake 1.

As a side note: i find it interesting that Kevin used an extremelly expensive and advanced set of hardware and software (an SGI workstation using some sort of 3D software from Alias) to make the Quake 1 models while he could have the same results with less "sophisticated" tools.

~bs~
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 05:13:00 AM »

Actually the problem with the fiend is that you need some support sticks or something like that because there is no way it will stand like in the game :-).

you should use very small weights (maybe little balls of paper) inside it Wink
i think i'll stick two balls of paper inside the shambler feet too, even if it's already stable

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 12:56:19 AM »

little update, the left arm and the back are done! GROOOWL!!

___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 05:13:55 AM »

Lookin' SAVAGE.  I bet you could get a kotaku exclusive for this.
Eeriepanda
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 10:34:53 PM »

thats awesome :D
increpare
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 07:01:36 AM »

AAAAAAAAAH
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 02:28:17 PM »

AAAAAAAAAH

What he said, it's looking great! We want updates!

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 05:02:14 PM »

Good luck!
The only papercraft I successfully finished was a Goomba, and even that little fucker was hard work

But he did make me proud

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 12:06:13 AM »

very nice Goomba :D

i'm almost finished with this one, i did the other arm!
I'm under crunch mode now: i need to finish to code a mobile phone game in days, so i'll finish it later and post some photos Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic