Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 12:25:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsVersus (Moderator: Melly)DIGS [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DIGS [FINISHED]  (Read 9259 times)
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2011, 04:01:59 PM »

DIGS

Deep in the ground men battle for the riches of the abyss.

I present to you a game in which you dig for gold, or to crush your opponent.

Features player on player action or a computer enemy to hone your skills.

Ready your jackhammers.

Instructions:
Default controls are arrows for player 1 (player on the right side of the screen) and wasd for player 2.

Options and controls can be set in-game.

Downloads

Windows | Mac

ninja edit: Windows version is up, I'm out for bed, hope it works on everyone's computer.
edit 2: added another screenie and some info
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 04:11:49 AM by Massena » Logged

Conker534
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 04:34:28 PM »

Better get that windows up soon! Wouldn't want to see this fail because of that. o:
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 05:30:52 PM »

Finished in the nick of tiiiiiiime!   Grin    (Well it's actually 01:28 round here, but the tigs is a forgiving beast, I hope)

Top post edited with the new links, hope you enjoy it and be sure to drop a line after you've played it!

Bed time  Yawn

Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »

Finally got to updating my half-assed top post.

I'm thinking of releasing a small update to the AI and map generating, but not quite sure what the rules are on that...

Fluff
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 07:38:09 PM »

Ok, we tried this the other day. At first we thought it was just a kind of neat most-efficient-path wins game. But it's actually more interesting, because you have to balance an efficient path with maneuvering to bury your opponent and not get buried.

Some thoughts:

We didn't know gravity was going to effect free standing dirt and it took us a little while to figure out why we were getting crushed.

Love the music. Reminds me of In the Hall of the Mountain King.

I think the people I was with were a little turned off by the degree of similarity in the visuals to Spelunky. Which is too bad. The art is really well done! It all fits together well. It just comes off as a Spelunky clone. The message it sent us was, "Like a cheap knockoff of your favorite name brand, I am inferior in every way to the original you know and love. My gameplay is going to be just as unoriginal." Which couldn't be further from truth. You've got some really interesting and unique gameplay! You just need graphics to match it. And I know you can do it because the pixel art is really good!

Well, that was our impression anyway. Thanks for making the game!
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 03:44:29 PM »

Ok, we tried this the other day. At first we thought it was just a kind of neat most-efficient-path wins game. But it's actually more interesting, because you have to balance an efficient path with maneuvering to bury your opponent and not get buried.

Some thoughts:

We didn't know gravity was going to effect free standing dirt and it took us a little while to figure out why we were getting crushed.

Love the music. Reminds me of In the Hall of the Mountain King.

I think the people I was with were a little turned off by the degree of similarity in the visuals to Spelunky. Which is too bad. The art is really well done! It all fits together well. It just comes off as a Spelunky clone. The message it sent us was, "Like a cheap knockoff of your favorite name brand, I am inferior in every way to the original you know and love. My gameplay is going to be just as unoriginal." Which couldn't be further from truth. You've got some really interesting and unique gameplay! You just need graphics to match it. And I know you can do it because the pixel art is really good!

Well, that was our impression anyway. Thanks for making the game!

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you enjoyed the game. I must admit that art is the facet of game-making I'm least comfortable with and that I did draw heavily on Spelunky.

The original plan was to have a tutorial explaining the falling dirt mechanic; without the fall being animated it can be confusing to those who don't know what's going on. But, as most plans do, this one got scraped in favour of actually finishing the damn thing Grin

Again, thanks for the feedback!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic