Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 05:38:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAre you bad enough to save the planet?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Are you bad enough to save the planet?  (Read 1440 times)
dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: January 05, 2013, 03:07:12 PM »

... because we need another one!

I've recently been getting stated with gamedev again, and I decided to go on making the game that I've wanted to make for a long time. Like so many other people here, I love metroidvanias; and exploring and the progression from getting my character more and more powerful. This is largely inspired by Metroid and La Mulana, but with other influences mixed in.

The story is not finalized. Playing La Mulana and Metroid Prime was really fun for me because of how they presented the story, and I'm going to try to mimic that to the best of my ability. The story is going to be presented in a very passive way - mostly conveyed through ships logs scattered around the planet. The player is free to ignore the little snippits of info, but some of them might be useful for progressing - to the point that some of the power ups you get will simply be a better understanding of how the environment works.

In terms of gameplay, at its most basic form it will be an exploration run and gun. I'm going to favor designs that make the player think before they act. There won't be enemies that only take damage from one type of attack (like things you can ohly kill with the bombs, in zelda) but their strategies will be more susceptible to different weapons.

As you get more powerups, you'll be able to explore to more locations. However, there will be less strict lock/key branches, and more obstacles that can be solved by a variety of different powerups... In metroid, you had stackable weapons, but it rarely was an interesting decision - you simply chose all of your powerups and were done with it. In this game, I"m going to try to renew the strategy in power ups. Rather than every powerup you collect simply giving you an ability, each one will give you a piece of equipment. At save points, you can equip which of these you want to use, with limits - so, you may want to stack explosive shots, for dealing more damage, quickly, and phase shots, for shooting through walls, but then you won't be able to use the magnet attack, which means you won't be able to get to that passage. But if you equip that, you'll have a hard time getting past the enemies on the way. Etc.

Right now, I've got the very basics for the game setup - you can save load games, explore the map, shoot/destroy enemies, and gather powerups. The next step is creating more content.

Also, please excuse the art - I'm not an artist in the least, and this is the first time I'm really generating many assets. If you have constructive critiques, I'd love some guidance.

Some screenies:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:11:21 PM by dspencer » Logged

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 05:32:55 PM »

Developed the intro "stage". A few screens long that teaches the player about jumping and shooting. Need to get someone to playtest it to make sure its intuitive enough. Already contains one secret Smiley

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 08:01:15 PM »

Developed the intro "stage". A few screens long that teaches the player about jumping and shooting. Need to get someone to playtest it to make sure its intuitive enough. Already contains one secret Smiley
I can if you'd like

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:52:55 PM »

@dustydrake: I might take you up on that, if you're still willing...

Did some studying what makes good level design. Trying to figure out the sweet spot of feeling awesome to explore without getting into backtracking hell. I think I'm going to try to mostly stick to the formula of "teach -> test." So, introduce a new mechanic/enemy/situation in a controlled environment, and then give them a challenge with that. So, expanded the first area to be about 2-3x as long, to include more jumping around, and rewards the player with a powerup.

Also started adding sound!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:59:31 PM by dspencer » Logged

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »

... because we need another one!

I've recently been getting stated with gamedev again, and I decided to go on making the game that I've wanted to make for a long time. Like so many other people here, I love metroidvanias; and exploring and the progression from getting my character more and more powerful. This is largely inspired by Metroid and La Mulana, but with other influences mixed in.

The story is not finalized. Playing La Mulana and Metroid Prime was really fun for me because of how they presented the story, and I'm going to try to mimic that to the best of my ability. The story is going to be presented in a very passive way - mostly conveyed through ships logs scattered around the planet. The player is free to ignore the little snippits of info, but some of them might be useful for progressing - to the point that some of the power ups you get will simply be a better understanding of how the environment works.

In terms of gameplay, at its most basic form it will be an exploration run and gun. I'm going to favor designs that make the player think before they act. There won't be enemies that only take damage from one type of attack (like things you can ohly kill with the bombs, in zelda) but their strategies will be more susceptible to different weapons.

As you get more powerups, you'll be able to explore to more locations. However, there will be less strict lock/key branches, and more obstacles that can be solved by a variety of different powerups... In metroid, you had stackable weapons, but it rarely was an interesting decision - you simply chose all of your powerups and were done with it. In this game, I"m going to try to renew the strategy in power ups. Rather than every powerup you collect simply giving you an ability, each one will give you a piece of equipment. At save points, you can equip which of these you want to use, with limits - so, you may want to stack explosive shots, for dealing more damage, quickly, and phase shots, for shooting through walls, but then you won't be able to use the magnet attack, which means you won't be able to get to that passage. But if you equip that, you'll have a hard time getting past the enemies on the way. Etc.

Right now, I've got the very basics for the game setup - you can save load games, explore the map, shoot/destroy enemies, and gather powerups. The next step is creating more content.

Also, please excuse the art - I'm not an artist in the least, and this is the first time I'm really generating many assets. If you have constructive critiques, I'd love some guidance.

Hmmm... Pretty interesting ideas! I would like to see they in action!  Grin

I can if you'd like

I'm also at your diposal!  Gentleman

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 04:09:09 PM »

Oh wait crap, I just noticed the OSx bar across the top.
I need to pay more attention to those sorts of things.

HyMyNameIsMatt
Level 1

Vernal Edge

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 10:15:20 PM »

I would like to playtest this as well.  I've been looking into creating a Metroidvania and probably have a thing or two to say.

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 02:33:31 PM »

Yesterday, I added updated the intro stage by creating a new type of enemy that moves! Now you need to time some simple jumps so that you avoid them. Additionally, added destructible blocks to the game. Additionally did a few cleanup tasks (made it easier for me to update the structure of levels without worrying about compatibility between new and old code, made it easier to test different values for jump strength / speed / etc), added a few more assets (all still ugly). Also been reading about what made super metroid awesome.

Mac friends - you can try the game here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9086833/Platformer.dmg.
Press space to get through the title screen, or interact with things (signs, stars for saving). Z jumps. If you choose to play, I would only ask that you give me some feedback. Was the first (small) stretch fun to play? did it feel too hard / ramp up too quickly? did the controls feel responsive enough? Also, about where did the FPS hover for you (the random red number in the corner).

THANKS SO MUCH. Made a util to provide me a world map, so you get to see the little bit of the game that exists now. I disconnected the starting area from everywhere else because other places don't make sense yet, but heres a little peek:
d

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 01:07:14 AM »

Perhaps unsurprisingly, having a lot of trouble with level design. I do a lot of programming, and have added all the features that come up, no problem... but when it comes to making interestingly designed levels, I've got very little know how. As I said earlier, I have lofty goals for the level design of this game, but in order to actually make the game exist, I'm just going to force myself to make levels, no matter how crappy they are. I think there will be less specific hard locks in the game, and more soft locks - need more powerful attack and more life to survive in this area, which means you won't get the attack/life powerups there, etc.

Anyway - added some more types of enemies, and continued to expand the map.

dspencer
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 06:57:28 PM »

First boss is in the game. A giant boulder that flies around the screen and shoots at you. Woot woot.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 07:11:08 PM by dspencer » Logged

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 07:28:56 AM »

I finally got acess to a mac!
The game runs pretty good! That red number is the fps, right? If so, the fps is stuck at 60.
The level design is very good, don't looks good, I mean, organized, but on a strange planet, things never look good (we've already learned that from metroid).   Roll Eyes
The game kinda guides you with a invisible hand, you know, the path you should go looks pretty obvious when playing. Kinda: "Ok, that's the right way to go. I don't know why, but it looks like the way to go."
I don't get to the boss, since I played just some minutes, but I'll play a little bit more and tell you what I think. This is just a first impression, a good first impression.  Smiley

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic