Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411596 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 09:11:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCowboy RTS game
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Cowboy RTS game  (Read 24077 times)
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2013, 11:35:59 PM »

Oh my, this is getting better and better.
I'm having a really hard time making out the dots for the range, but then again this might work much better when things are in motion.

doihaveto
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2013, 03:53:44 AM »

Adobe Scout is an amazing tool for finding code bottle necks, I recommend it. I've got the Nexus version running from about 17fps to now 25fps just by finding bad code bottle necks.

It really is! Makes profiling on mobile a breeze...

ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2013, 06:48:19 AM »

I had fun clicking through all the posts and seeing the game's evolution. The art is looking really good! Posting to track.

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 27, 2013, 08:09:57 AM »

Oh my, this is getting better and better.
I'm having a really hard time making out the dots for the range, but then again this might work much better when things are in motion.

Thanks, yeah I want to make them slowly rotate around. Also I'm thinking that if you have multiple units selected only one range should be shown really.

Been thinking it would be a good idea to have a 'technology' tree for buildings, so for example you have to have a worker tent before you can build Saloon's and workshops etc.

electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2013, 08:13:17 AM »

Well that was a surprise, Reprisal just got Green Lit  Smiley

Happy days dev booost  Tiger

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2013, 02:02:23 AM »

Coffee cheers!
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2013, 12:53:32 PM »

Well it's coming to the end of 2013, nearly a year ago I started this, but like all things stuff gets in the way like work. I'm going to pick it up again and try and finish it for 2014 :D In the mean time I've put some game play footage including sound here:

I really really want to finish it because the combination of RTS and Cowboys feels good! As soon as the Steam version of Reprisal is out the door this will be my next project. Hopefully next year is going to be a big year of releases as three games will finally (fingers crossed) see the end of their dev cycles, Battle Keep being another ... 4 years and counting!  Beer!

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2013, 01:02:04 PM »

That is a tremendously good looking state to finish the year!
We're looking forward to 2014 as well :-)

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2013, 02:53:36 PM »

Looks like it combines gameplay from C&C, Z and Dungeon Keeper  Kiss.

for those who don't remember Z, this is what I'm talking about:

NoobsArePeople2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2013, 10:57:45 AM »

Just saw this on the front page of indiegames.com. Looking great!
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2014, 05:30:55 AM »

Hi all,

On this cold, wet, miserable afternoon here in London, I've just stuck the build into a public folder so it can be played 'As is'

Removed

If you choose 'Wastelands' that level will work.

- - - - - -

Why do this?

I'm sharing this link with you fellow TIG's to get feedback to see if this game has a future. I've never shared a build this unfinished or early before. It's so early it's not even a pre pre pre beta.

Just some things to be aware of, this build is the development build, its not finished, there are missing graphics, there are no instructions, there's debug text, there are probably millions of bugs, the game had been made with desktop delivery in mind so there maybe some load pauses ...  Wink

Thank you kindly
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 04:40:04 AM by electrolyte » Logged

Riho
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2014, 12:54:30 PM »

I love what you have so far - the graphics, the atmosphere, the music, etc. This is definitely something I'd play and enjoy when it's done.

Maybe you could give some pointers though? Is there a way to take over enemy spawns? What does the 40$ button do? And I couldn't figure out where to place mines.

One note - while playing I did keep wishing that the game had a two mouse button interface.

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2014, 01:35:29 PM »

This is a great foundation so far.  Most things seem simple and easy to figure out, and it'll be interesting how they'll play out when more of the game is done.  I was also unable to figure out how to place mines.  One other thing that would be good would be for buildings to have mouse-over tool-tips so I can know what they do before I place them.  The art is great, and it's got some nice flair to it (like the character portraits showing up at the bottom of the screen)

Keep it up!   Beer!

NoobsArePeople2
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2014, 02:01:46 PM »

The atmosphere is killer and the game is solid (overlooking the bugs and pre- pre- pre- pre-beta rough edges). The wild west/cowboys themes seems underepresented in video games so it feels really fresh.

All that said I'd like to see mechanics that line up with the setting like maybe once you get the town built up to a certain point you can build a sheriff who is a kind of hero character. Once you have the sheriff you can deputize your other units making them more powerful is some way. Maybe there are missions like busting cattle rustlers or developing oil fields. Right now it feels like the game could have a fantasy or sci-fi settings and nothing would really be different.

I'd definitely like to see this game developed further.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2014, 02:22:14 PM »

This is looking great, I'm interested to see how it develops. Pew pew!

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2014, 03:59:05 PM »

Really cool so far!

I think the enemies need some work though. It feels like there needs to be an enemy camp or something somewhere, because having them just emerge from holes is kind of odd. I'd like to overthrow a little camp too.... That would be fun. Smiley

I think ultimately it would be cool to have a really large map that's just the "world" and you build an entire town there, and you can expand it and improve it, etc. I think adding in rail tracks for trains/mine carts would be awesome too.

Definitely more buildings to generate money like a Saloon/Brothel/General Store. Would be fun to see some horses as well...

I could go on and on but I'm sure you have plenty of plans... This is just a really early build afterall. I can't wait to see this game finished! So far it's fun to play even without instructions or all the graphics, so that's a good sign.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2014, 04:06:40 PM »

It's already better than EA's mobile version of Dungeon Keeper :3
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2014, 04:25:32 PM »

This is splendid, my only core usability issue was with panning; mouse-scrolling and shift+scrolling would be useful. Is the map dragging inverted from the "norm" or am I being thick?

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2014, 04:47:14 PM »

This is splendid, my only core usability issue was with panning; mouse-scrolling and shift+scrolling would be useful. Is the map dragging inverted from the "norm" or am I being thick?
Agreed, map scrolling was a chore. Something a bit speedier/smoother would be fine by me... mouse dragging would be excellent though.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2014, 03:18:42 AM »

As soon as I build anything I get swamped by enemies - is that supposed to happen?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic