Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411679 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 10:11:56 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 211676 times)
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2009, 08:41:43 AM »

Morgan Freeman is making a Rendezvous With Rama movie.
Wat

On that note, I need to read the last one in the series, Rama Revealed. I hear it's not amazing, but nonetheless better than the ones before it - which were considered not so good by most people, but I liked them, so I guess I'll love it Shrug

Sadly, I haven't had any time for reading in the last few weeks. Literally, like maybe half an hour a week or something. So I'm still on Atlas Shrugged. Haven't decided what I think of ol' Mrs Rand yet.

olücæbelel
TheSpaceMan
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2009, 08:48:30 AM »

The Fadeing suns RPG book.
Damn I wish I had time and people to actually play it as well. :S

Follow The Flying Thing, my current project.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=24421.0
Fuzz
« Reply #162 on: April 07, 2009, 03:50:31 PM »

I'm reading
that fantasy novel series where the main hero is a leper whose first act in the novel was to rape a girl.
Thomas Covenant. It's pretty amazing.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: April 07, 2009, 04:38:50 PM »

I started reading Don Quixote over spring break. I was kinda surprised to see the infamous windmill adventure so early on- I was hoping for more of a build-up. But it seems pretty interesting so far, so I'm going to see how far I can make it.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 07, 2009, 05:03:10 PM »

I just picked up Moby Dick for a buck or two, I've been wanting to read it ever since Phone Bone would rant about it in Bone. I also picked up 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea as well. I've heard a lot of good stuff about both of them (not just from Phone Bone) so they were a steal in my opinion. 20,000 Leagues is good stuff, I think I am going to have to check out more of Verne's other work...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 07, 2009, 06:37:53 PM »

I just finished reading Starcross, by Phillip Reeve. It's kind of a kids' book but it's still awesome - set in a steampunk world where Isaac Newton invented faster-than-light space travel, and the solar system is populated with a huge variety of aliens.

Fuzz
« Reply #166 on: April 07, 2009, 06:41:31 PM »

Oh yeah, I just finished Volume 3 of Swamp Thing (it was the only volume they had at my local library; there are 6 total). It was quite amazing. It's all about zombies and vampires and such, but it's always tied in to some relevant social issue: sexism, racism, nuclear war, etc. Apparently it was what got Alan Moore big in the comic industry.
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: April 07, 2009, 08:53:06 PM »

Just about to wrap up David Sedaris - Dress my family in corduroy and denim.

I need a new book now, maybe a classic to mix it up out of the non-fiction binge i've been on... might be 1984 or Catcher in the Rye

it_is_coming
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 07, 2009, 08:56:35 PM »

Catcher in the Rye

Just finished it. Pretty good style/plot wise, pretty generic 'blame society' theme. That's just my first reaction, I would like someone to prove me wrong.
Seth
« Reply #169 on: April 07, 2009, 10:30:50 PM »

Catcher in the Rye

Just finished it. Pretty good style/plot wise, pretty generic 'blame society' theme. That's just my first reaction, I would like someone to prove me wrong.

Although Holden Caulfield blames society, I'm not sure Salinger does.  I haven't read it in 6 years though, and Salinger is a recluse now, so maybe you're right. 
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: April 07, 2009, 10:39:28 PM »

I finally got hold of Rama Revealed, woot. I can finally finish that series. I hear it's a lot better than the previous two - but I still enjoyed them both very much indeed, so I have high hopes. Grin

olücæbelel
Jonas Kyratzes
Level 1

Yes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: April 08, 2009, 12:13:25 AM »

I finally got hold of Rama Revealed, woot. I can finally finish that series. I hear it's a lot better than the previous two - but I still enjoyed them both very much indeed, so I have high hopes. Grin

Don't get your hopes up. The first book is the best, and it's all downhill from there. Gentry Lee did most of the writing, and he's simply no Arthur C. Clarke.

Currently reading Toll the Hounds, the eighth Malazan Book of the Fallen. Good, but so far not quite a good as the others. But I'm only halfway in, and sooner or later that bastard Erikson will pull all the threads together and break my heart again.

"Moderate strength is shown in violence, supreme strength is shown in levity." - G. K. Chesterton
http://www.jonas-kyratzes.net
PaleFox
« Reply #172 on: April 08, 2009, 05:05:33 AM »

The Catcher in the Rye is about how Holden Caulfield acts towards people, so it's not blaming society so much as it's blaming him. It's a sort of subversion of the coming-of-age novels, in essence.

I'm currently reading Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco. It's... very strange.
Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 08, 2009, 06:20:41 AM »

Have been laying sick for a while, so I took that as an excuse to finally finish Foundation and Earth by Isaac Asimov. After have read the previus books I was kinda dissapointed about how everything eventually turned out... still an okay book though.
jstckr
Level 7

ilu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: April 08, 2009, 06:43:26 AM »

I'm currently reading Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco. It's... very strange.

Got that lying here, too. Think I'll start it tomorrow. :O

Choukou
Level 0

Amateur attempter

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 20, 2009, 02:56:22 PM »

NECRO!

I'm reading a Star Wars novel atm called 'Darth Bane: Path of Destruction' which is really good at the moment.  It's written by Drew Karpyshyn who I think wrote for the KOTOR games but who I know wrote Mass Effect.  I've had it from the library since last year xD  I must've renewed it over 10 times now...I take MASSIVE breaks in between chapters.

Languages known: 0
Languages attempted:...how many exist?
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: April 20, 2009, 05:50:45 PM »

I'm reading two books at the moment:

- Robert Gilmore's Alice in Quantumland.  It is a quite entertaining allegory.  (Instead of the Cheshire Cat, she meets Schroedinger's Cat! Smiley).

- Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs, and Steel.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 20, 2009, 06:26:14 PM »

Wyrd Sisters. Terry Pratchett.

I'm reading the witch books I missed.
Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2009, 08:50:22 AM »

Gonna have to try to read some more Terry Pratchett myself.

Currently re-reading The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King. One of the first books I've ever read. Still good.
Zhal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2009, 10:07:04 AM »

Transmetropolitan's volume 5 Lonely City. Gotta buy more of that!
I also have Sandman's first two albums waiting, so I'll be reading them next.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic