Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411681 Posts in 69399 Topics- by 58453 Members - Latest Member: Arktitus

May 17, 2024, 02:42:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralOnline pen and paper RPG?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Online pen and paper RPG?  (Read 12118 times)
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2009, 09:27:21 PM »

Since I might be a replacement player, should I make one?
Renton
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2009, 01:18:39 AM »

Player Name: Renton

Character Name: Tikhon Vyacheslav "Tick" Rentonov

General Description: Caucasian in his early 30's. Short light brown hair, usually clean shaven, green eyes. 5'8" (1.76m) height, slim build. Black cargo pants with pockets and knee pads, Bluish dark gray tight t-shirt, black all-terrain running shoes, fingerless climbing gloves, two leg holsters. Ex-member of the once famous now disbanded Eastern Bandits raiding band. Now working as a mercenary. Likes to keep to himself but is pretty loud-and-potty-mouthed during battle. He's an alcoholic, uses several recreational drugs for pleasure, and is quite a bit crazy. He uses guerrilla tactics and favors speed over raw power. His action hero antics usually results him getting injured, but he does them anyway. Weapons of choice are dual M1911As, a Mossberg 500 and home-made explosive devices.

Stats
Speed: 3
Strength: 2
Smarts: 1

Special Skill: Pistols akimbo.

I actually wanted to make him Irish, but it's New Albania, so Russian might fit better.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 02:43:39 PM by Renton » Logged
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2009, 03:27:19 AM »

Player Name: Hideous

Character Name: Bes Krajnost

Physical Description: Pale caucasian, around 50 years old. Not very tall, only about 1.68 cm, and has dark grey hair. It looks like he is blind on his left eye, but you never notice it on his behavior. Well dressed for the New Albanian winter, thick isolated black pants, a toolbelt, and a brown winter jacket.

Stats
Speed: 2
Strenght: 1
Smarts: 3

Special Skill: This dude used to be a field medic in the army, so he's a pretty good doctor when needed.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2009, 05:14:18 AM »

Since I might be a replacement player, should I make one?

Sure, why not- if nothing else, we should be able to fit you in sooner or later.
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2009, 05:21:30 AM »

i can see it on IRC:

< Hideous > i try to kick renton in the face
Hideous rolls 2d6
< Hideous > woohoo i got 12
< Renton > WTF it's the sixth time in a row you get a 12...

:D

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2009, 08:07:56 AM »

Player Name: Inanimate

Character Name:Isaac Marche

Physical Description: tall, brown haired, blue gray eyes. He is not particularly muscular, or fast, but his intelligence is above average. he acts a lot older than he truly is, and never gives out a certain age.

Stats-
Strength: 1

Special Skill: Creek Moment
- Can suddenly get innovate ideas at times in need, using objects, metaphors, or ideas around him. Example: You ar ein a tough spot! But, someone offhandedly mentions a metaphor, "Out of the frying pan, and into the oven!" and then I get an elaborate idea involving ovens and pressure and explosions, and a few minutes later, we have a whole tank that looks like it was produced by the A-Team.

Good night!
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2009, 08:46:58 AM »

Player Name: Caio
Character Name: Brian Torsten
General Description: 25-35 year-old Antarctican male. Works as a hitman and loves it, but is friendly and talkative when not in a job. Trained in combat with swords, knifes, pistols and sniper rifles. Has several cybernetic implants and replacements, most received as payment, which allow him to keep his many debilitating genetic disorders under control. He sternly refuses to conceal these components, for they make him feel closer to what he believes is the ultimate form of life, and the only truly fit for dwelling in the universe - machines.

Stats
Speed: 3
Smarts: 2

Special Skill: Stealth.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:52:14 PM by Kao » Logged
Renton
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2009, 09:20:57 AM »

I think right now we need a hacker type, a smooth-talker and a heavy-weapons-dude.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2009, 12:54:32 PM »

Inanimate: I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to implement your skill, but I love it anyway.

For instance, are there cybernetic implants? What exactly was the 12-Second War? How are world politics?

I'll use this answer to handle any future questions similar to this one:

Yes. To everything.

As I see it, pen and paper games are a form of improvised storytelling, with some chance and balancing features thrown in for good measure. Although as a DM I'll be devising much of the story and the world's background, I personally like the idea of players adding to it as well. If you've ever seen improvisational theatre (and I mean genuine improv, not improv games like on Who's Line is it Anyway), you'll know that the good actors never have to ask each other questions like, "Where are we? Who am I? What is my purpose in life?" They already have an answer. This isn't because they spent time planning it backstage, or else it wouldn't be improvisational. They just went with the first thing that came to mind, and their partners know to just accept it as fact. Even if they had some crazy backstory planned out, they know better than to tell their friend, "No, you're not Bob. Your name is Jake."

In this case, if one of your characters says something about the 12-Second War that I didn't plan, I am not going to tell you you're wrong. This is mostly due to the fact that I don't know what it was; I just made it up. But this is the players' story as much as it is mine, even more so to a certain extent. A DM really just acts as an all-seeing referee, to make sure the players don't "cheat" the game and have a good time. I've got ideas for what the world of New Albania is like, but I'm not going to shove those down your throats. That wouldn't be fun at all, for anyone. So, if you want cybernetic implants, robo-hookers and unicorns that poop butterflies, you go right ahead. I'll just be watching the dice rolls.

(And, before anyone asks, I do a bit of theatre and stage improv, so that's where a lot of the philosophies for my system came from.)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:00:19 PM by Otaku42 » Logged
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2009, 01:05:13 PM »

That's very interesting, especially since it is basically the opposite of my own creation methods - when I write stories or design games for fun I feel like I have to have a definite explanation for everything, even if I don't use it. If I decide there's a trap in the abandoned elvish fortress, I can spend hours trying to decide who built it there, why they did it, what did it mean to the elves while they lived there, and so on.

I'm excited. Grin
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2009, 01:29:35 PM »

I'm not gonna say that's a bad way of writing, Kao- I do it, too, and it can end up in some pretty interesting stories. It's fun to try and think about all the different aspects of a location and what it might have meant. However, when you've got a ton of people trying to build a story at the same time, I feel it's better to let everyone contribute. Not to say that those complex histories can't exist in improv. In fact, they can become even more interesting because they will usually relate to the current story, in a ret-con-ish way. And because everyone's making up the story, no one can say that you're wrong.

So, I've got Renton, Hideous, and Kao's character sheets, and Inanimate's in case we're missing a person. We'll need Reetva and BattleRager's, and we should be good to go.

Something else I've been considering is how to actually get the group together at the start of the game. I was considering doing a quick prose  prologue to get all the characters in the same location, and then letting you all loose from there. Sound good?
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2009, 01:52:47 PM »

Sounds fine to me. I've updated my sheet with character details.
Renton
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2009, 02:45:49 PM »

Yeah, I added some "depth" to my character as well.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2009, 03:04:15 PM »

Is 3 like the limit for a certain value? Just wondering.  Noir

Ok, here goes.

Player Name: Battlerager
Character Name: Attis Leventis
Physical Description: A young man from greece in his early twenties. Caucasian, slight tan. Roughly 180 cm tall, medium-long brown hair, green eyes, short goatee. It seems like all he ever wears are jeans and tshirts.
(Although he always carries around a coat [and some other stuff] in his backpack)
He is in posession of a vividly red scarf which he wears as long as the temperature allows it.

He's fluent in multiple languages and from his looks it's almost impossible to tell where he comes from. He's a smooth talker and knows how to capitalize on that (his youth and good looks don't hurt, either).

He's pretty slim and not overly muscular, but he's actually quite buff.

Stats-
Speed: 1
Strength: 2

Special Skill: Fluent in many languages. Attis has next to no problems conversing with any person. If there's no common ground, he'll somehow manage to get his point across with gestures and you can be sure that Attis will be able to mostly understand and maybe even speak that person's language the next time they meet.

Good night!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2009, 03:24:48 PM »

Player Name: Inanimate

Character Name:Isaac Marche

Physical Description: Tall, brown haired, blue gray eyes. He is not particularly muscular, or fast, but his intelligence is above average. he acts a lot older than he truly is, and never gives out a certain age.

He has an odd past, which he prefers not sharing. However, he is pretty emotional, and actually usually does not to fight head on. He tries to do what people ask of him, unless they go against his inner 'Code'. He also tries to anticipate people's moves, but he usually fails. He would choose talking over fighting any day, and if that fails, the best defense is always a retreat. He is pretty good at convincing another person to trust him, or do what he asks of them. And if that fails, he usually backs off a bit.

Smooth Talker

Stats-

Special Skill: Macguyver Power
- He can create complex machinery and / or processes using everyday items.

----

Fixed it up a bit. I tried to change him a bit more from me, but I still wanted to be a nice guy. Also, I changed his skill to make it more... obvious. It's basically the same, just it doesn't require certain situations.

----
There!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 03:27:49 PM by Inanimate » Logged
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2009, 03:27:24 PM »

Why did you make another one? Undecided
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2009, 03:28:14 PM »

Why did you make another one? Undecided

Sorry, I was just fixing my old one. I forgot some certain details, I had to urgently go somewhere.

I can just replace my old post if you want. Sorry!
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2009, 03:30:22 PM »

Don't worry!

It's usually best to just edit your other posts, though, for the sake of organization. Wink
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2009, 04:13:03 PM »

Is 3 like the limit for a certain value? Just wondering.  Noir

It's because there are three stats, not counting your Special Skill (which is automatically a 4 anyway). Just a way to keep things simple and fair.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2009, 12:06:29 PM »

Sorry to get this message out so late, but I haven't been able to get to a computer with internet for the past four days. My town got hit hard by an ice storm, and my house is currently without power. If you all still wish to do the game, we'll likely need to reschedule. Again, my sincerest apologies.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic