Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411721 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 22, 2024, 12:26:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTales of Lena - Retro style platformer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Tales of Lena - Retro style platformer  (Read 15357 times)
Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2016, 02:14:09 PM »

I worked some more on the Longtongue (frog) enemy in my game. It's more or less done although I'll sure still tweak it a bit and I'll definitely make a better dying sprite Wink

Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2016, 12:46:52 PM »

Here's another enemy: the Slacker! For now it's a really basic enemy that doesn't do much but I might add that it leaves a trail of deadly slime behind that you shouldn't touch Wink

Leaghorn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2016, 01:09:52 PM »

Hey, that looks awesome and really polished. The art reminds me one of my favourite - Super Frog.

Keep up the good work Wink

Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2016, 01:08:45 PM »

Hey, that looks awesome and really polished. The art reminds me one of my favourite - Super Frog.

Keep up the good work Wink

Thank you very much :D Never played that game but it sure looks fun and colorful like mine Smiley

Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2016, 12:50:03 PM »

Took a little break from the project for Ludum Dare 35 but now Lena is back to kick some... balls?

So I decided to make some changes and give the player the ability to kick at any moment (also while in the air). This means kicking is now your way of attacking (instead of jumping on enemies). I added the balls mainly for fun though they might be used in some way. One idea is to have stones you can kick to kill enemies (apart from just kicking them directly).

I'll definitely be tweaking Lena's design a bit to make her shoes/boots bigger and the kick animation more powerful.

Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2016, 01:02:06 PM »

Lena is really enjoying kicking things! Maybe a bit too much ^^'

maruki
Level 3

Making Aftertile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2016, 05:32:04 PM »

The art style is simply overly hhnnnnngg for me to ignore it - following it avidly <3

Sentionaut
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2016, 05:41:26 AM »

Really nice and polished graphics! It looks very clean and cute. I also found funny the dialog with the ghost.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2016, 12:00:01 PM »

Will it still be possible to jump on the head of enemies? I like your idea of making kicking the main attack mechanic, but i'd like to jump on a frog's head to stun him for a second and literally kick his ass before he recovers. Cheesy

Deadly/toxic slime is a nice idea for a higher level snail enemy. Frog Mark II could have a poisonous back.

What does the air kick look like?
Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2016, 01:21:39 AM »

The art style is simply overly hhnnnnngg for me to ignore it - following it avidly <3

Thank you very much :D

Really nice and polished graphics! It looks very clean and cute. I also found funny the dialog with the ghost.

Thanks a lot :D Glad you liked the silly dialog. I like making my gifs more than just WIP footage by putting some humor in it Tongue

Will it still be possible to jump on the head of enemies? I like your idea of making kicking the main attack mechanic, but i'd like to jump on a frog's head to stun him for a second and literally kick his ass before he recovers. Cheesy

Deadly/toxic slime is a nice idea for a higher level snail enemy. Frog Mark II could have a poisonous back.

What does the air kick look like?

Yeah probably. I like the idea of stunning enemies, thanks! :D

I think I'll stick with one type of snail with toxic slime.

I haven't made the animation for it yet, I'll have to see for myself what looks and works best.

Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2016, 08:31:24 AM »

In some levels you'll be able to get a record of the music playing in that level.
Here's Lena's way of acquiring them (gramophone graphics are WIP):

Sentionaut
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2016, 07:05:27 AM »

That's awesome!  Grin

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2016, 12:34:10 AM »

There was a discussion going on about virtual resolutions and upscaling (https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56101.0). Some games in the DevLogs, which are also retro platformers, use a vertical resolution of 240px or 224px, like the (S)NES does. But you took a different approach which results in a vertical difference of 4px but scales up perfectly to 1280x720 px and 1920x1080 px.

If you would add one tile horizontally and vertically, centering the camera to the center of a tile horizontally and to an edge between two tiles vertically, the additional vertical pixels would barely be noticed, i guess.

Or do you prefer to keep these two 2px black 'bars'? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this topic. Smiley
Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2016, 09:30:53 AM »

That's awesome!  Grin

Thanks a lot :D

There was a discussion going on about virtual resolutions and upscaling (https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=56101.0). Some games in the DevLogs, which are also retro platformers, use a vertical resolution of 240px or 224px, like the (S)NES does. But you took a different approach which results in a vertical difference of 4px but scales up perfectly to 1280x720 px and 1920x1080 px.

If you would add one tile horizontally and vertically, centering the camera to the center of a tile horizontally and to an edge between two tiles vertically, the additional vertical pixels would barely be noticed, i guess.

Or do you prefer to keep these two 2px black 'bars'? I'd like to hear your thoughts on this topic. Smiley

It would work but I prefer to stick with the resolution I have now Smiley I could always just remove the black borders and add some extra tiles at the top and bottom though the black borders never bothered me.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2016, 10:10:41 AM »

It would work but I prefer to stick with the resolution I have now Smiley I could always just remove the black borders and add some extra tiles at the top and bottom [...]

That's what i tried to suggest. I never wanted you to change the resolution.  Smiley
(The area in the outlined rectangle is the same size as before.)
Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2016, 11:38:37 PM »

It would work but I prefer to stick with the resolution I have now Smiley I could always just remove the black borders and add some extra tiles at the top and bottom [...]

That's what i tried to suggest. I never wanted you to change the resolution.  Smiley
(The area in the outlined rectangle is the same size as before.)

You're right, don't know why I wrote that ^^' I'll look into adding tiles so the black borders can be removed Smiley

Watch out for the kamikaze bird, it'll fly right at you if you come too close!

Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2016, 01:50:42 PM »

I've been working on some internal stuff lately and also changed the way enemies die + played around with particles a bit (still needs some tweaking here and there).

Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2016, 07:25:39 AM »

Some enemies can only be killed in a special way Wink

Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2016, 11:11:02 AM »

I took a break from the project for Ludum Dare 36 but working on it again now.

I changed jumping from fixed height double jump to the more common jump and hold to get higher.

I also started designing the first level and decided I wanted Lena to be able to crouch and crawl (implemented) and climb ladders (partially implemented). Both still need graphics though so nothing to show yet.

I'm thinking about rewriting my physics system. I wanted to add jump through slopes but the way everything is programmed now doesn't allow this. A rewrite should solve this.

I also finally made a new kick animation + changed how containers break:

Siegfried Croes
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2017, 06:45:01 AM »

Finally got back to the project! Currently reworking the collision/physics system (really needed some work, it was a mess). Still not perfect but I'm getting there Smiley

Testing the physics by kicking a ball Wink

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic