Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 10:09:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1323616 times)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3180 on: August 17, 2015, 11:53:12 PM »

What's the difference between this and the old format?
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3181 on: August 18, 2015, 12:02:40 AM »

The old one was each item in a separate json file, all of them will now be in a single yaml file. I'm also redesigning the item properties and sets, so the data format is not really the focus .. just makes things a little clearer.

jboxx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3182 on: August 18, 2015, 12:29:33 AM »

This is REALLY cool. 
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3183 on: August 20, 2015, 11:01:16 PM »

Update: This week I've been designing the combat and item system. But before we get into that, be warned, ahead there lies:

*** SPOILERS ***

Items

Alright, you like spoilers? Good. Items in Moonman are now defined with a number of properties. Here are some of the basic items and their properties:

The first four columns include the name, sprite, and notes to myself. STY indicates the style -- all these are melee weapons, except for the spear which is a jab-type weapon. The next two columns indicate the kinds of damage the weapon does.

There are currently 3 types of damage:

• BASH damage, which a hammer or club might inflict;
  • SLASH damage, as caused by a sword or axe; and
  • POKE damage, caused by pokey things like spears, tridents, daggers, etc.

So, for example, a Pickaxe deals either Poke or Slash damage, at a level of 1. When attacking a creature or enemy the combat system uses these values to determine if, and how much, damage you will do. All living things have natural resistances against being bashed, slashed and poked, and humanoids (like Moonman) can wear armour to provide extra resistance. Stone armour, for instance, would provide slash and poke resistance, but would crumble under strong bash attacks. The level in "SLA 3" correlates with the damage you can cause, but in a non-linear way.

The next column SPD just determines how fast an attack is. DURability is something I'll be toying with to force a finite lifetime for weapons. I've yet to explore that, but it'll hopefully be intuitive -- if you hit a rock with a sword, eventually the sword will break. Once [broken] an item becomes basically useless, with all stats dramatically reduced. [Broken] is an example of an aspect, which is the ASP column. Some weapons you'll find will already have certain aspects, and some may already be broken.

MIN1 and MIN2 determine the Mining Quality (MQ) of an item. A Digstick is good at digging, a hatchet good at chopping and so on. When you hit an object or block in the world, these values determine if, and how quickly, you can destroy or mine that thing. Sometimes these are hard constraints, and other times not. Soil, for instance, will be mined quicker with a Digstick. Lumber, however, cannot be harvested without at least a CHOP of 1 ... so you will no longer be able to mine trees with shovels. Mining quality also affects non-fixed resources, such as snails. If you hit them with something they will just go smoosh. If, however, you hit them with a NET 1 item then you'll be able to mine them.

SET indicates if an item is part of a set. Wearing a full set (helmet, armour, shield) and wielding the set item may give you an extra bonus. Oh, notice I didn't say pants? There are no more pants. Pants are now merged with armours.

ON HIT and PASSIVE are extra actions or magics that an item has. A hammer, for instance, has a knock action that is triggered when you hit an enemy. It will knock the enemy back a short distance. A passive property is always activated as long as you hold or wear the item. Here are a few of the planned magical items which will have these kinds of effects.

Resource / Crafting Flow

Given a set of mining qualities and items, the next step is to design the flow of these things throughout a game. I've come up with a number of ways to approach this, and of these, a simple flowchart is quite instructive to look at. Here's a small part of a large chart I'm working on -- as I try to spread the resources and items throughout the game:

From this we can see that in order to get a shovel (a DIG 2) item, we need a workbench, lumber, and iron. Iron, in turn, requires coal, iron ore, and a primal furnace. Coal is found in a coal mine and requires an ORE 1 item to mine it properly. And on and on. Laying this out helps me plan where and when certain resources appear, and to also take a guess at what abilities and weapons the player will have in certain areas of the game.

I imagine this is how you'd design a linear RPG-type game, but my ultimate plan for Moonman is to have many different paths through the game. One game, for instance, may have the forest burnt out completely, and in this case there needs to be resource paths that bend around the lumber requirement. I'm not entirely sure how to go about designing such a system, but I'll try to come up with a few alternative pathways and then generalise them. We'll see!

See you next time!

Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3184 on: August 20, 2015, 11:48:28 PM »

Nice explanation of things, @eigenbom.

Also, having the data/flowchart in check and updated let you keep your game organized and leave your mind clear to think on other stuff.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3185 on: August 21, 2015, 01:28:18 AM »

Thanks mate Smiley

sidbarnhoorn
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3186 on: August 21, 2015, 02:02:16 AM »

This looks great, Ben! I'm looking forward to this game! :-D

Siddhartha Barnhoorn
--------------------
Award winning composer

Composed music for the games Antichamber, Out There, The Stanley Parable, Planet Alpha...

http://www.sidbarnhoorn.com
Bandcamp:
https://siddharthabarnhoorn.bandcamp.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/SidBarnhoorn
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3187 on: August 21, 2015, 01:49:30 PM »

Pew and Gah?  Shocked
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3188 on: August 21, 2015, 04:28:59 PM »

dont snails say PEW?!

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3189 on: August 22, 2015, 09:37:32 AM »

I didn't know that crafting was so complex. Wow, that must be time consuming.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3190 on: August 23, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »

I didn't know that crafting was so complex. Wow, that must be time consuming.

It looks more complex than it is. There are 5 resources in that chart, and about 6 different items .. so I suppose there's roughly one resource per item. Some of the elements will be unecessary in some games, as you might get a furnace spawning in a house in the forest, which means you jump over various resource paths. There are also alternatives to these .. so, for example, you can craft a bone axe if you find some bones, and that removes the need for lumber. The ideal design of the game will make these choices logical -- when you enter a world and come across an obstacle, it should be fairly clear and fun what you need to make or kill to get past it. The same goes for NPCs like the craftsman which remove the need for a workbench.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3191 on: August 24, 2015, 10:27:08 PM »

Debugging world gen by dumping to console.

qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3192 on: August 24, 2015, 10:40:01 PM »

So can you see the bug  Who, Me?
marcgfx
Level 8

if you don't comment, who will?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3193 on: August 24, 2015, 10:46:51 PM »

looks cool. I guess it saves you a lot of time, as you dont have to start up the entire game? do you have a way of scrolling through the level too?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3194 on: August 24, 2015, 10:51:16 PM »

So can you see the bug  Who, Me?

There's no specific bug, but I write a little routine (say for distributing plants in a cave), then I can quickly check if and how it works without starting up the entire game. Or like if I want to check a new distribution function for the vines (v) I can quickly get a feel for how the vines are scattered throughout the world, if they are tool long or too clumped, and so on. Same with the ores, which are all the yellow characters.

looks cool. I guess it saves you a lot of time, as you dont have to start up the entire game? do you have a way of scrolling through the level too?

It's not a big continuous world, but a set of smaller levels, joined up with doors and gates and paths. I actually view the entire level on one screen, its 256 characters across so the terminal font has to be 8x8. For larger levels I just have to scroll the terminal window, or better yet I'll probably just tell the output function to output a segment -- whatever part of the level I'm currently interested in.

gereon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3195 on: August 25, 2015, 01:44:31 AM »

That's a cool debug feature. Must be really helpful for quick overview. For more insights you could add debug functions in game, like revealing the whole world, zoom, scrolling with arrow keys, point and click info...

I played the alpha (got the "alpha" pledge on your kickstarter). Very amazing game, keep up the good work!

Currently working on...
nkm
Level 1

Ludere ergo sum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3196 on: August 25, 2015, 02:35:22 AM »

nice debug feature!

You should consider replacing your standard rasterizer with this one Smiley

nkm

gereon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3197 on: August 25, 2015, 06:56:27 AM »

You should consider replacing your standard rasterizer with this one Smiley

LOL would be cool, we could play it on ASCII terminals... like Nethack Smiley

Currently working on...
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3198 on: August 25, 2015, 11:52:55 AM »

It was originally going to be an ANSI style character game Smiley
bencelot
Level 0

http://geneshift.net - my sexy top-down shooter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3199 on: August 25, 2015, 02:23:56 PM »

That's a great idea. Should make it an unlockable feature :p

Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic