Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411566 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 07:13:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGTiny Platypus Pimps [FINISHED!](NOW W/OSX)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Tiny Platypus Pimps [FINISHED!](NOW W/OSX)  (Read 68429 times)
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2008, 07:20:18 AM »

This game's great, running away from the pigs was actually quite fun. I hope you develop this some further! Smiley My only issue is that the whole ho part was hard to understand but perhaps I should've just read the intro screen Tongue Great work!

edit: I can't understand when the hoes are coked up and when they're not, perhaps some more visual feedback?
edit2: (sorry, I don't want to double post) Is there a way to make the game fullscreen on OS X?
edit3: Lips Sealed apparently I was trying to give meth to hoes.. My pimping skills are rusty
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 07:30:14 AM by Massena » Logged

thewreck
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2008, 08:53:35 AM »

very slick presentation!

i like the overall game, but i have some feedback which would make the game truly awsome!

Either
A: place the dealer on a platform the police cant reach,
Or
B: make the game pause when you are buying drugs, cause its pretty hard to exit that buy menu when you see a police coming running towards you.
You don't want to loose all your drugs because you are stuck in a dialog box =(

Please add some form of variation to the level aside from the long floor! Perhaps you can enter a shack where a bunch of hoes are cuddled in so that you can smack them in peace! Or perhaps you can climb up a rooftop or under a bridge where a bunch of meth addicts and huddling up... Something to take away from the linear running left and right.

Otherwise, good stuff! Please continue!

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2008, 03:58:20 PM »

I only had a couple of annoyances, and those were:

1. Trying to deal meth and ending up buying meth.  Seemed like I was pretty far from the dealer, too... could close that space a bit.

2. Hard to tell when cops are looking or not!

But I gotta say, the Retro Game Engine delivers!  Can't wait for Soviet Crisis. Grin
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2008, 07:14:10 PM »

This is one of the funniest ideas in the competition, but it has some major issues. The game should pause while in the menu, for one thing. I kept losing all my drugs because I couldn't hit cancel quickly enough.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2008, 08:00:19 AM »

The presentation and the idea itself are awesome, but you overdid on the difficulty. The cops are too fast and numerous, making it too frustrating to buy drugs and deal with hos. Also the area around the dealer that activates him is too big. I could barely do anything without losing all my drugs 3 seconds later.

Though I love how the methheads keep shaking while they follow you around insistingly asking for the good stuff. Tongue

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2008, 08:31:18 AM »

you guys are a bunch of platypussies!  I didn't get busted a single time on my second playthrough.  And generally speaking I am pretty crap at games in general!

cup full of magic charisma
Ciardhubh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2008, 08:44:26 AM »

Very well done on the engine and the game. On a side note: beating hoes appears to be tolerated by the police. As long as you don't have any drugs on you, you walk away without consequences :D.

I agree with the menu issue, you cannot close it fast enough. The game should pause while you buy something.
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2008, 11:06:38 AM »

Very well done on the engine and the game. On a side note: beating hoes appears to be tolerated by the police. As long as you don't have any drugs on you, you walk away without consequences :D.

Maybe it's a statement about how violence against women is treated in our society... maybe I just didn't have enough time to implement a separate fine system.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2008, 02:20:48 PM »

Once you know that tiny platypuses are supposed to jump constantly around, the game becomes easier.
But it's still not easy to break even, for a tiny platypus, on the streets.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2008, 06:32:50 AM »

I got 4 digits for you. 6120. $.
I'm a straight out pimpCool

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2008, 11:52:22 PM »

Man! I kept getting beat down by the man, I couldn't rise up and overcome, I wish I was as big of a pimp as you. Like I couldn't even buy coke.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2008, 04:44:21 AM »

Man! I kept getting beat down by the man, I couldn't rise up and overcome, I wish I was as big of a pimp as you. Like I couldn't even buy coke.

Keep trying, you'll get there.  Grin

@toastie: I was wondering if you could explain us how your filter works, 'cause I've been looking thru your source code and it seems really interesting  Smiley

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2008, 09:34:51 AM »

@toastie: I was wondering if you could explain us how your filter works, 'cause I've been looking thru your source code and it seems really interesting  Smiley

It's actually written by Shay Green aka Blargg who wrote alot of very useful libraries for emulators and it works by passing every pixel through what seems to be an emulator of actual NTSC noise. He wrote a few different libraries for different system emulators, but I'm using the SNES one because it takes 16bit surfaces as input as opposed to the NES one for example which takes 8bit ones (my final surfaces is 32bit, so i convert it to 16 every frame). It's the same library that ZSNES uses for its NTSC filter.

Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2008, 09:44:01 AM »

It's actually written by Shay Green aka Blargg who wrote alot of very useful libraries for emulators and it works by passing every pixel through what seems to be an emulator of actual NTSC noise. He wrote a few different libraries for different system emulators, but I'm using the SNES one because it takes 16bit surfaces as input as opposed to the NES one for example which takes 8bit ones (my final surfaces is 32bit, so i convert it to 16 every frame). It's the same library that ZSNES uses for its NTSC filter.
Nice Smiley And also, thanks for releasing the engine, I'm finding it very useful reading thru it!

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2008, 09:49:34 AM »

What, the engine is released?! Where can I get it?!

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 30, 2008, 10:15:38 AM »

It's not, but its unstable source is up on googlecode

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2008, 01:06:28 PM »

Oh. Damn Sad

I can't bloody wait Grin

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2008, 02:55:15 PM »

This was a fun little game! The only issues I had were that it didn't seem to have a fullscreen option on my PC and often it was a bit hard to tell what was going on in the tiny window, and some of the reactions to player behavior seemed to lack 'oomph.' I would have liked to have seen more detailed sound effects and animations for actions like purchasing items and beating hoes and such. I felt it lacked 'agency' in some sense, as it was.

Still, really cute graphics and the concept made me laugh pretty hard. Good work all around!

Formerly "I Like Cake."
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2008, 04:22:34 PM »

:D
I just found this smmiley on Derek's website:

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: April 06, 2008, 01:13:07 PM »

Not sure if I was playing this right, but I couldn't earn more than $600 at any one time, and as a result couldn't buy any coke, and so in turn couldn't get my girls to work. I'm certainly no pimp. I like the games concept it's just far too hard, well, for me it is anyway. Good stuff.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 01:16:15 PM by Oddball » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic