Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411621 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 02:35:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsUnity3D: Video Tutorials by Alec
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Unity3D: Video Tutorials by Alec  (Read 67384 times)
Gangles
Level 0

Quixotic Engineer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2009, 04:54:06 PM »

Select something in the heirarchy, then select the scene window and press "F"... the scene camera should zoom it into focus. Smiley

That did it, thank you! Coffee

Captain_404
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2009, 06:17:51 PM »

I'm not sure if you ever actually dropped the link to sfxr as promised in the video. Or I just missed it.

These are really great, looking forward to the next part!
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2009, 06:18:55 PM »

This is the Mac version: http://thirdcog.eu/apps/cfxr

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2009, 12:05:14 PM »

Hey Alec! I watched your videos, they rock! Though I was kinda hoping for a 'Unity for Programmers' style one.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Saker
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2009, 12:24:24 PM »

cool , waiting for the 2nd part .    Hand Any Key Kiss Hand Thumbs Up Right

I wish you focus more on explaining the scripts and how they work in unity .  Beg
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2009, 12:26:33 PM »

I wish you focus more on explaining the scripts and how they work in unity .  Beg

Thanks guys! The next part will be about how all the scripting for that shooter game works, so I think you'll find it interesting.  Coffee

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2009, 02:25:40 AM »

So, is there a way to make changes made whilst running persistent?

One way sort of around that is to change prefabs, since those changes are preserved.

But I'm not sure if there's a way to save scene changes made while the editor is running. (it would be a weird problem for them to solve, what about all the stuff you wouldn't want to save?)

Not that weird, given that it *kept* tripping me up all the way through the tutorials. Surely it can't have just been me? I guess maybe it stops being a problem with experience, but it would just be nice if it was a bit more obvious when it was in "running" state.

Though I was kinda hoping for a 'Unity for Programmers' style one.

I thought these were quite programmery. The main questions I have now are how to implement things like gameflow states, managers and stuff that persists between scenes. I read about some "DontDestroy" type flag, but I'm not sure how to organise stuff yet. This stuff might be out of the scope of these, maybe I'll just ask here or on the forums when I get to it. If anyone has a link to this sort of info, please share it!

Anyway, great job with this stuff!

biomechanic
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2009, 04:40:58 AM »

For people interested in learning Unity - check out the videos from 3D Buzz.

Alec, I hope you don't mind me posting it in your thread.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2009, 10:22:25 AM »

I thought these were quite programmery. The main questions I have now are how to implement things like gameflow states, managers and stuff that persists between scenes. I read about some "DontDestroy" type flag, but I'm not sure how to organise stuff yet. This stuff might be out of the scope of these, maybe I'll just ask here or on the forums when I get to it. If anyone has a link to this sort of info, please share it!

For persistent managers: You put the object in every scene, but it has a script that destroys the next instance. e.g.:

Code:
static var instance:MusicManager;

function Awake()
{
if(instance == null)
{
instance = this;
}
else
{
Destroy(gameObject);
return;
}

DontDestroyOnLoad(this);
}

LarderOwl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2009, 01:55:54 PM »

What was the sound effects program called? cfx?
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2009, 02:25:12 PM »

LarderOwl
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2009, 03:32:27 PM »

Ahaha, Nice! Smiley Smiley
Theotherguy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2009, 09:15:42 PM »

Oh my, this looks like it could be fantastic. I'm tempted to try it out, but 3D has always been so intimidating to me.  Epileptic

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2009, 03:16:59 PM »

Oh my, this looks like it could be fantastic. I'm tempted to try it out, but 3D has always been so intimidating to me.  Epileptic

Might be worth giving it a shot - and if you end up not liking it, at least you've tried it.  Beer!

shrimp
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2010, 08:29:20 AM »

Hey, thanks for the persistent manager tip - looks quite tidy! Sorry for the lack of reply earlier, I got waylaid by some other stuff before I could do any more Unity, but it's next on my list Smiley

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2010, 08:53:21 AM »

I feel silly I never thought to look here, great work Alec. Will read in my tea breaks!

Theotherguy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 02, 2010, 07:29:33 PM »

Might be worth giving it a shot - and if you end up not liking it, at least you've tried it.  Beer!

Okay, I've started playing around with it, and I can't seem to get C# scripts to work. Whenever I try to add it to an entity in the game world, it complains about the script not sharing the same class as the entity or something. I also can't access the object's rigid body from my script.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 02, 2010, 07:38:53 PM »

Note: if you're using C#, you won't be able to use my tutorials word for word

For C#, your class has to match the name of the script. (this is setup automatically if you use Javascript/UnityScript)

e.g. if the new script is called "Fred" your class has to be called "Fred"

Theotherguy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2010, 05:28:39 PM »

Okay, I got a simple script working with a little sphere that follows the camera around, which is really exciting   Wink

Now I am trying to get a simple collision sensor working, but I'm a little confused on how Unity handles this. It seems that if I give an object a rigidbody, it automatically gets a collision sensor, but I want to make my own collision sensor that is attached to the object that I can listen collisions from.

Just saying something like "SphereCollider s = new SphereCollider();" and then setting its attributes don't seem to work, because SphereColliders don't have public attributes. Am I supposed to make my script extend a SphereCollider if I want to handle collisions?

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2010, 05:58:34 PM »

You just add a collider yourself in the GUI, then set the properties there.

Component -> Physics -> Sphere Collider

You can edit a collider in script either by using

this.collider
or just
collider

Or you can probably do something like:
var sphereCollider = GetComponent(SphereCollider);

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic