Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411616 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 07:10:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallGeoff Gibson launches 8bitfunding
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Geoff Gibson launches 8bitfunding  (Read 6090 times)
broadcastbrian2
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 01:00:47 AM »

awesome
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 02:32:19 AM »

I wish people would post more about who they are or give links to past projects they've completed. Sad If I don't know who people are why should I give them money? I don't know if they've finished a game before, so can I trust them to finish one that's up for funding? A video is all well and good, but it doesn't show me that you can make games.

I agree.

I wish Gibson had gotten in touch with more developers to have more projects available at launch.

Like others have said, I like the international mindedness of it. I also like that they will be reviewing games before approving or denying their projects.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

Used to be known as Penguinhat

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 03:38:29 AM »

Hold on, I'm confused. What do you need in order to qualify for this? Could anyone apply? Who checks that the games and/or perks really exist?

It seems like it would make sense for things like freeware PC indies moving on the Xbox Live or mobile development or something.

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 03:52:59 AM »

with Zeboyd Games claiming it'd cost them $3000 to do the 2-3 day job of porting an XNA X360 game to XNA PC

Really? You think it takes three days to port a game over to keyboard input, test that it works just as well as the console, call publishers and distributors all over again, and redo the marketing?

floatstarpx
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 04:39:17 AM »

with Zeboyd Games claiming it'd cost them $3000 to do the 2-3 day job of porting an XNA X360 game to XNA PC

Really? You think it takes three days to port a game over to keyboard input, test that it works just as well as the console, call publishers and distributors all over again, and redo the marketing?

Yeah, he's exaggerating - but he's not massively off the mark there.. it's not a massive job - certainly not on par with developing a project from scratch, or even on par with porting from PC to iPhone, for example...
If you're developing for XBLIG, you'll more than likely be doing most of your debugging on a PC build any way.. that's how most people do it.

We developed EGV for PC and X360 alongside each other... so, we never had a "port" job at the end.. but if I look at the code differences between the two - it's around 200-300 "lines", if you can measure it as such (video mode/aspect ratio fix for PCs which may run at different resolutions, input handler slightly different, PC version has extra stuff for online awards - this is the bulk of it, stuff to load different tutorial text - "press space" rather than "press A").. it really is absolutely minimal, other than the 'extra features'. On the PC version we also load in a crude sketch of a cock - we had to censor it on XBLI.. the cock probably took us 2-3 days to crudely sketch. It's a fine art, y'know.
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 01:18:06 PM »

To answer some questions people have asked:

The reason I put One-Eyed Monsters up on 8-Bit Funding even though I haven't got a completed game to show anyone (save a little Mini Ludum Dare entry) was just a matter of timing. 8-Bit Funding was going to go live and I figured it would never have more attention than when it was brand new. I asked Geoff what he thought, and he said to leave it up to the public if I deserved money. It's why I'm making the smallest ask on the site.

I think it's valid to want to know if someone can finish a project, and if Kickstarter is any indication, people who've never finished anything before aren't as likely to get Kickstarted. I'd have preferred to have some small projects or at least released prototyped under my belt, but 8-Bit Funding was going live, so I took a chance. I've adjusted my expectations accordingly.

As for how it's screened, every time a new project is submitted or an existing project is edited, it goes through a review process. Here's what Geoff emailed me when I asked about it:
when you edit something we have to go back and activate it again. It’s a stupid failsafe right now to ensure somebody can’t create a project collect donations and then edit all their perks.
Booger
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 03:28:51 AM »

Geoff Gibson, can you set a minimum amount to at least $1K or $1.5K?  I see no reason why the $500 projects won't just swallow the risk themselves, unless they're a developer based in Bangladesh or some remote corner of Africa, maybe.
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 06:53:46 AM »

$500 means different things to different people. Where I am in my life right now, $500 is a very large sum. For other people I know, it's a pittance.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 08:07:48 AM »

Where I live $500 means one person can work full time on the game for a month. That often makes a difference.

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2011, 03:33:14 PM »

Doesn't 8-bit funding sort of clash with being an indie developer? I thought being indie sort of meant not being funded by outside sources...

If you're taking money from someone to fund your game, and promising them a percentage of the profits... That's pretty much the definition of outside investors. You're no longer independently run, you're relying on other people's money and they are relying on you to deliver some sort of return for them.

If it was just "donate money and we'll put you in the game and give you a t-shirt" then that would be fine... but I'm not so sure about the whole "give us money and you'll get a cut of the profits" thing. I'm not even sure how that would work out. What's to stop the developer from making up some random low sales numbers to not owe the donating party anything?

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2011, 03:45:04 PM »

How does outside investors clash with being indie? The outside investors aren't publishing the game nor do they have any say in the making of the game. Besides, it isn't built into 8BitFunding that donators get a percentage of any profits -- that's just what some projects are offering.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2011, 02:35:02 AM »

How does outside investors clash with being indie? The outside investors aren't publishing the game nor do they have any say in the making of the game.
You are committed to making the game, rather than maintaining the freedom to re-evaluate the project at any stage. If someone gets funding for a platform game and then decides to make it into a RTS for iPhone mid way through development, they haven't really fulfilled their promise.

It varies from case to case of course. A lot of these games are mostly done, so are unlikely to falter at this stage. Others, however, have barely started and are mostly just trying their luck.

twitter: @docky
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2011, 02:48:19 AM »

How is that different from offering preorders? Does offering preorders clash with being indie?

Laserbrain Studios
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2011, 05:02:37 AM »

How is that different from offering preorders? Does offering preorders clash with being indie?
It really depends upon how far a project is completed, and of course it's a grey area. It would often be irresponsible to take pre-orders when a project is less than 75% percent ready for release. Most people make their game available for pre-order when the game is at least in a presentable, playable state.

twitter: @docky
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2011, 06:10:00 AM »

What's up with this 'being indie' crap anyway? I just want to make my own games and if there are ways to get money off them then it's even more awesome. Whether it's by selling it, preordering, 8bitfunding, licensing, whatever.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2011, 06:19:44 AM »

Exactly. I just don't get how it "clashes with being indie" if you get outside investors. None of the 8 Bit Funding projects state that investors (donators or pre-orders, really) get any say whatsoever in the making of the game. Sure, they'll have expectations, but there are expectations as soon as you make a product for sale.

Laserbrain Studios
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2011, 11:30:07 AM »

All the terms of investment, all the perks, and all the responsibilities that come with getting funding are conceptualized, proposed, and defined by the person making the game. There is nothing more indie than that.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 11:32:14 AM »

Sure, they'll have expectations, but there are expectations as soon as you make a product for sale.

Don't tell Dan Tabar that.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 01:04:06 PM »

What's up with this 'being indie' crap anyway?
Well some people need to have a good justification for those 8 bit graphics they're trying to sell.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 01:06:13 PM »

Sure, they'll have expectations, but there are expectations as soon as you make a product for sale.

Don't tell Dan Tabar that.

Well, I didn't say those expectations are necessarily justified... Wink

Laserbrain Studios
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic