Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411561 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 04:44:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDungeon Hearts - New Endless mode added in 1.1
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Dungeon Hearts - New Endless mode added in 1.1  (Read 53868 times)
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2012, 09:21:22 AM »

Yay mimics!
Chris Pavia
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2012, 07:58:10 PM »

Here's the rest of him:

Chris Pavia
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2012, 06:18:46 PM »

Mountain pass background concept:

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2012, 07:25:39 AM »

Like the new background and mountains but just not sure about the background colour.

Chris Pavia
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2012, 09:09:14 AM »

Are you referring to the turquoise? I was thinking of changing it to be more like a sunset with reds, yellows, and purples.
Doktor_Q
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2012, 09:14:12 AM »

You could also just use a bit more blue to it- the sky only goes cyan at the very edge of the horizon, after all.

Oh, maybe do several versions? Sunset, daytime, and nighttime? It could cycle through time periods as you go, to give it a stronger feel of time passing on a journey.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2012, 10:10:40 AM »

Oh, maybe do several versions? Sunset, daytime, and nighttime? It could cycle through time periods as you go, to give it a stronger feel of time passing on a journey.

Yep, that's the plan for all the outdoor environments. I was thinking that if I'm palette swapping the enemies, I may as well do the backgrounds too!
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2012, 06:51:34 PM »

That's a good idea and yeah was talking about the turquoise

Chris Pavia
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2012, 07:31:47 AM »

Can anyone tell which game inspired this one?
Chris Pavia
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2012, 12:43:28 PM »

Several more environment concepts, some more finished than others:

I need a few more actual dungeon backgrounds, then I should be done. Those might take a back seat for a while though, so I can start modeling some of these. I also need to get started on the title treatment.
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2012, 05:30:08 PM »

Those background are really bright and distracting. IF the colors where somewhat more subdued like the first screen (in the first post) It would be much better.
Also, Bruce and Smiles <3

edit:
Here's a quick paintover.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 05:40:48 PM by green » Logged
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2012, 06:18:08 PM »

I can't.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2012, 06:43:08 PM »

I can't.

I'll give you a hint: It's from a final boss.

Those background are really bright and distracting. IF the colors where somewhat more subdued like the first screen (in the first post) It would be much better.
Also, Bruce and Smiles <3

edit:
Here's a quick paintover.

Good call, you're definitely right about them being too bright. Once they're built out in 3d it'll be easy to iterate on the lighting as needed. Thanks for the paint over, it looks great!
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2012, 07:42:28 PM »

I tried to think back though all the rpgs I've beaten but then I realized that I haven't beaten any rpgs and I'm really just wasting your time.
Dakota.s
Level 0

Future Game Developer

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2012, 10:20:36 PM »

This game looks interesting, It's the kind of game i would love. It looks like you're doing a great job so far. Gentleman

Games are supposed to be art, and not simply a way to make money.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2012, 10:42:53 PM »

The shading of the 3D is so smooth. I am not even sure if it's real time or prerendered.
Without animation I can't tell, but it seems like you are either prebaking the colors? or you have an artist guided shader?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think it's a simple lambert model for the shading?
I would like to know how you achieved that look.

Master of all trades.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2012, 11:49:01 PM »

This game looks interesting, It's the kind of game i would love. It looks like you're doing a great job so far. Gentleman

Thanks!

The shading of the 3D is so smooth. I am not even sure if it's real time or prerendered.
Without animation I can't tell, but it seems like you are either prebaking the colors? or you have an artist guided shader?
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think it's a simple lambert model for the shading?
I would like to know how you achieved that look.

The lighting is all baked into the textures. After I unwrap but before I start painting I throw some lights in the scene and render it to texture. Then I use that as the base. It helps that the camera is fixed the whole time, which makes it much easier to fake things. Real time lighting generally doesn't look that great with low-poly models unless you've got some decent shaders, so I wanted to avoid that as much as I could. As long as the scene looks polished and interesting, players aren't really going to care if your lighting is correct or consistent.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2012, 08:25:57 AM »

Finally got the first environment implemented into the game (the previous was just a placeholder). It scrolls with some parallax as the characters run from one encounter to the next. There are some things I'd like to tweak, but for now I need to get a second background in so I can implement the transition between the two.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2012, 08:32:16 AM »

Can you de-saturate the background colours a bit so the players and enemies pop out a bit more?
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2012, 09:30:10 AM »

Those trees!  Kiss
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic