Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411596 Posts in 69387 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 08:26:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBrogue
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Brogue  (Read 16578 times)
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2012, 09:19:39 AM »

Or, if you have id'd something as bad you can throw that.
Waltorious
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2012, 01:36:45 PM »

I hate it when I'm placed in a closed room and have to wait until an enemy comes through a hidden door, revealing it to me. Is there a better way to find doors?

Use the "S" key to search for secret doors.  In v1.6.1 you can also click the "search" button at the bottom of the screen.

Has anyone else found that the default window size in v1.6.1 is too big?  I had to google around before I discovered that you can use PgUp and PgDn to change the window size (but only AFTER you start a game, not on the title screen).  It also seems to reset itself each time I quit.

Otherwise I'm loving the new changes to the game.  Treasure rooms are awesome, but I keep trying to get into all of them and end up starving to death because I'm wasting too much time.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2012, 01:51:37 PM »

I put a link to Brogue in the OP
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2012, 01:57:09 PM »

I enjoy it, but I almost get the same feeling from it that I get from a mindlessly fun flash game. After a while the introspection catches up with me.

Also I rarely die, I usually get bored first

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2012, 02:03:34 PM »

I rarely die, I usually get bored first
Are you using the explore command? I find that I rarely grow bored even when the levels are "too easy", since I can just put my character on autopilot until I encounter something that presents a challenge.

Also, the first few levels are the best time to identify potions and scrolls, which I think is fairly entertaining to do.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
iffi
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2012, 02:39:29 PM »

Has anyone else found that the default window size in v1.6.1 is too big?  I had to google around before I discovered that you can use PgUp and PgDn to change the window size (but only AFTER you start a game, not on the title screen).  It also seems to reset itself each time I quit.
Yes, the window's always cut off on my netbook until I resize it. I wish it would save the window size, or at the very least allow me to resize the window in the main menu.

Also, I wish the game would save recordings in its own folder. Since I've saved every recording since I started playing Brogue (except one that I apparently forgot), it's been getting quite unwieldy dealing with all the files.

I rarely die, I usually get bored first
Are you using the explore command? I find that I rarely grow bored even when the levels are "too easy", since I can just put my character on autopilot until I encounter something that presents a challenge.

Also, the first few levels are the best time to identify potions and scrolls, which I think is fairly entertaining to do.
Yeah, I believe the author of the game has said that the first few levels are intentionally easy because they're supposed to take the place of the normal "character creation." I usually put it on autopilot through the first level and use the explore command from there to avoid getting everything stolen by monkeys (which start appearing on the second floor).
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »

Yeah, I believe the author of the game has said that the first few levels are intentionally easy because they're supposed to take the place of the normal "character creation." I usually put it on autopilot through the first level and use the explore command from there to avoid getting everything stolen by monkeys (which start appearing on the second floor).
The situation used to be much worse than that. In the older versions, the first approx 8 levels were really easy and boring. The game in its current incarnation usually picks up for me in terms of interestingness at around level 5. I still think the early-game phase could be compressed even more.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2012, 12:45:56 AM »

I had a pet salamander. It murdered everything.

And then it walked into a bog.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2012, 02:23:08 AM »

Brogue is fucking amazing. I have never really played roguelikes before it, but I now have two prototypes in progress. I love the colors, it seems to lift things just enough for my imagination to really run wild with the situations that I am in. It makes me really bug out on modern rogues that insist on using pixel art tile sets for everything. Abstraction is the best.

Also the vastness of the dungeons is great. Spotting two ogres holding something captive across a chasm is an awesome feeling. Really makes the dungeon come to life.

Most memorable run started with a band of 4 monkey allies, and ended with a will o' the wisp smashing me up while I was caught in a spider web. Havn't made it past level 10 yet though Sad

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2012, 04:55:14 AM »

Do any monsters exist that are immune to lightning or poison? I want to try a "wizard" character, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to put all my enchantments into a staff that might not work against a monster.

From my experience so far, it seems like enchanting rings is the best idea. They don't really become obsolete like many of the weapons do, and their effects are fantastic. I haven't tried enchanting staves yet, but I assume that such a build would only be viable if you also have a ring of wisdom to recharge them.

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2012, 06:10:30 AM »

I had a pet salamander. It murdered everything.

And then it walked into a bog.
Yeah, Salamanders are dumb as shit and typically not worth it as pets.

My fave pets so far are:
Ogres -- Get them relatively early, they hit hard, and they level up at a decent rate (go-go flying regenerating ogre)
Dar anythings -- They hit hard, can blink around, and the priestess healing and hasting is pretty awesome
Trolls -- Can tank for hours

I have yet to come across monsters immune to magic, but it's certainly possible.

Enchanting staves can be a great thing.  The best in my opinion is conjuration, because a) you can always cast it when it is fully charged and get a good effect out of it and b) being able to create 150 spectral swords at the drop of a hat is pretty effective.
Sakar
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2012, 10:12:58 PM »

After about 30 or so sessions, I just have one thing to say

FUCK PINK JELLIES
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2012, 01:27:41 AM »

After about 30 or so sessions, I just have one thing to say

FUCK PINK JELLIES
Get a weapon that deals as much damage as possible. They split more if you have a low damage weapon. Also, make sure you're in a corridor when you fight them so you'll only be hit by two at a time, and attack the ones that have the lowest amount of health.

My best character so far was killed by his own tentacle horror on depth 24. I had a highly enchanted ring of regeneration, but I was killed in a single hit so I didn't even know he was hostile until it was too late.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2012, 08:45:17 AM »

Axes work great too, since they attack all the spaces adjacent to you, not just the one your facing. You can easily split them into mincemeat with those. See also: GOBLIN CONJURER.

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2012, 10:57:10 AM »

Well, I don't know about you guys but I find a whole lot more potions of enchantment than potions of strength, so I barely get to use a weapon aside from my dagger before I reach level 7-10, aside from the spear which is totally ace for pink jellys.. if you're lucky enough to find one.

I've seen people say they've taken runs with like +10 daggers, but never the plain-Jane type you start with; usually with a poison effect or something.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2012, 01:48:58 PM »

i got to level 14 with a time freeze dagger (90% chance of extra turn), but later on it just never hits the enemy, even when they're frozen, so it was sorta useless

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2012, 02:17:54 PM »

Well, I don't know about you guys but I find a whole lot more potions of enchantment than potions of strength, so I barely get to use a weapon aside from my dagger before I reach level 7-10, aside from the spear which is totally ace for pink jellys.. if you're lucky enough to find one.
axes have a str requirement of 15 iirc. enchant one once or twice and you should be able to use it before level 5

swords are cool early game weapons too but seem to be pretty rare (or im just unlucky)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2012, 04:16:29 AM »

Just did a 9-Level dive with +2 Plated Mail (Multiplicity Tome). It was working pretty well, til I butted heads with an Ogre who had a Multiplicity Tome as well. >.>'

And you thought Pink Jellys were bad!

So just a head's up, enemies can score enchanted equipment too.

James McCloud
Level 3

I can't art

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2012, 11:13:34 AM »

Oh man.  Second playthrough, I was doing pretty well.  I had freed a goblin mystic and a goblin to help me.  Found a cracking statue.  Waited for a bit.
FUCKING OGRE.
I manage to kill it, using both of my health potions.  Then I find an altar.  I figure, the one on floor one didn't do anything, so I step on it.  The ground starts to fall away.  I RUN THE WRONG WAY FROM THE DOOR.  We all fall.  Mystic is dead, goblin is wounded.  Kill a centipede, but it fatally poisons the goblin.  I wander into a bog.  A bog monster from nowhere.  It's grabbed my legs, I can't get away, so in a last ditch effort, I chug one of the two unidentified potions in my inventory.
Potion of incineration.

This is me on steam.

Hey look!  My blog's gone again!  Ain't that somethin?

I really need a better sig :\
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2012, 12:58:23 PM »

I just had a character with 20 armor class. I found a plate mail pretty early on and enough strength and enchantments to put it on. It got me to around depth 12 pretty easily, but I started having trouble with actually killing things (lack of good weapons basically) and a lot of things that just bypass armor altogether. Like being on fire or being shot by bolts of lightning from a pixie. I finally died on depth 15, not my best work.

So far my most successful characters have been the ones that find an early ring of regeneration and enchant it until it goes completely crazy and starts restoring full health in only a few turns.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic