Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411564 Posts in 69385 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 03:27:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOur Way Up - [fast-paced vertical scroller] [PC]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Our Way Up - [fast-paced vertical scroller] [PC]  (Read 9389 times)
SafetySnail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2015, 05:13:04 AM »

To be honest I would have more likely played the game if it still looked the way it did in your first post over the way it looks now. I think the bouncy fluid gameplay more than speaks for itself with this and there's no need to put all these "characters" into it. Yellow square did it for me.
Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2015, 11:36:56 AM »

I think you should remove the black outlines on the NPC (On the eyes and the glasses at least. Maybe make the nose a dark green). Nothing else has outlines in your game . The art-styles clash a little bit here.
And you're totally right - we may have missed that. Will talk to our artist about that Smiley

Why is the player a square? It looks like you started with a yellow square and it influenced your artstyle in that way that you did not think about other shapes.
Got me! Tongue
It's exactly how we did it. I used a placeholder all the way until character skins' implementation. That's when we asked our artist to draw something for us really fast, and... here we are - a square character with skin with a hat. But that not it's final form! We are planning to have lots of characters, e.g. robots, goblins and others, so we will at least try to implement different shapes! Still not sure how that will work with our collision system and how much time all the animations will take. But we will definitely look into it Smiley Oh, and NPCs! We have lots of concepts for them - all kinds of triangles, circles, other shapes and stuff Grin

To be honest I would have more likely played the game if it still looked the way it did in your first post over the way it looks now.
I dig minimalism too! But we wanted to tell a story through the gameplay and we need some ways to tell it - with different NPCs, environments and colors. But we will honestly try to keep it under control - we already have plans to reduce the amount of grass and background objects.
What do you think about the first gif? Is that face too much, too?

And all new animations (player bouncing, moving NPC) - do you think they suit the game? We wanted to liven up the world a little bit, but try keep it simple.

Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 06:13:39 AM »

No updates for almost two week? Oh my. Let me fix that!

We made a indieDB page!! So you can follow us there as well.

Our latest gif:

And some decor for the Safe Rooms:

And as you can see - new background! Btw, Blur or no Blur?

Cakeprediction
Level 1

I'm not too sure what to put here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 07:15:26 AM »

definitely no blur imo.

This game is looking good though!
if I may ask, how'd you go about creating those platform levels? it looks pretty solid Smiley

Keep up the nice work ^^

Huge Swords and Tentacles Devlog
"If you were to write a story with me in the lead role, it would certainly be... a tragedy"
"You have to tell your hands to freaking do the stuff until your hands know it by their tiny hand hearts"
3dgeminis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 10:04:59 PM »

Please DONT blur the background Beg
ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2015, 05:08:14 PM »

Agree.

Don't Blur.

lobstersteve
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 10:46:25 AM »

No blur  Wink
Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 06:15:52 AM »

We are back from the Gamescom! Maybe (if we ask) MrLevich will post some pics and tell us more about that.
But I'm just going to show new gifs.

definitely no blur imo.

This game is looking good though!
if I may ask, how'd you go about creating those platform levels? it looks pretty solid Smiley

Keep up the nice work ^^
Thank you!!
You can read about that in our previous blog here.

But TLDR is: we just made few rooms (on the left) in the editor with all the coins and spikes/lava-walls placed and then in the game we combine them to make random map.

Please DONT blur the background Beg
Agree.
Don't Blur.
No blur  Wink
Oh, I dreamed about that blur since the first line of code, but only now figured the way to do it... I guess, no blur is the way to go. Shrug

And new gifs, as promised! This time it's a boss fight:

(First boss ability!)

(Second boss ability!)

(And now all together with the enemy HP bar!)

[optional] Same gifs (and one new) can be found on our IndieDB page.

Now we need to finish boss fight and continue with the UI stuff. But first I need to dig through all the news and videos I missed because of the Gamescom.  Who, Me?

lobstersteve
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2015, 07:31:08 AM »

Oh hey, boss-fight looks fun Smiley
But shouldn't the beam slowly turn torwards the hero? (If that's not already in the making)..Here, after he shoots the beam, the laser is immediatly pointed again at the hero, whereas in other games, this type of hazard first has to turn until the laser reached the hero.
Mr. Levich
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2015, 10:10:39 AM »

Could you please elaborate on that? We have the little harmless beam that follows the player around. Then at one point it stops and starts charging up the laser. The player should understand that nothing good is gonna follow and he better run out of there or get zapped. That's it. You want the laser to be continuous and slowly turn to the player's position?

lobstersteve
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 12:40:12 PM »

No..i mean: The harmless beam should follow the player. As soon as the beam touches him, it stops, charges up and shoots. After it's done shooting it starts following the Player again until it reaches him. The game "n" does it that way. I think they have a target following you around, instead of a "harmless" beam that's turning, but it follows the principle i told before.
I mean you are doing it very similar, but the motion where the harmless beam is turning torwards the player after it shot is missing, it immediatly points at the player.
Maybe it works fine the way it is now, idk, the other option kinda feels more standard/natural to me, and maybe you feel less "trapped", because the beam is not always pointing at you. But maybe i'm just overthinking it^^
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:24:37 PM by lobstersteve » Logged
Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2015, 07:40:19 AM »

Sorry for such a long silence: gamescom ate a lot of our time, and then I went on a small vocation to Norway. And immediately after my return we decided to try our luck in Ludum Dare 33, where we were very late, leaving us a little more than a day of real productivity out of 72 hours. But we still tried our best! And this is the game we made:

“Dude, Stop”

[optional] You can play, and, if you participated in LD33, vote for us here: ludumdare.com

We got a lot of nice feedback and even a few let’s-players videos, but we are not sure what to do next: Should we continue working on this game? Or should we go back to our platformer?
It would be really nice, if you could try our game and tell us whether or not you would wish for full version of this game. Thank you! Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:22:44 AM by Patomkin » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic