Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411632 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 09:37:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingGelatinous (7DRL)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gelatinous (7DRL)  (Read 1294 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 13, 2013, 07:03:54 AM »

Hey guys I need some Feedback on my 7DRL.

you play as a gelatinous cube and must move around the Dungeon and eat all the heroes.

Controls:
- Movement = Arrow Keys, WASD, Numpad
- Wait = E key, Space, Numpad 5
- Slime Trap = 1 Digit Key (Will eventually have a button and cooldown)
- Slime Minion = 2 Digit Key (Will eventually have a button and cooldown)
- Restart = R Key

The game will eventually be scored based. On how many heroes you eat, or what floor of the dungeon you get to. Also the health bar ticks down with each move so be careful and beware of wizards they can be tricky.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 04:27:32 PM »

game doesn't appear to be loading, there's just a blank space where it would normally be. though I was able to get the swf from the source code (which now seems to 404).

the game 'freezes' often, am able to press R to restart it but no other key presses do anything. not sure how to reproduce it, it happens randomly.

the turn-based system feels really sluggish and inelegant, why do they have to move 1 at a time? in most rogue-likes they all share one turn.

it's really boring and slow. feels like a turn-based reverse pacman except you have 2 skills that don't really seem to do anything.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 05:04:51 PM »

the reverse pacman was an idea I wanted to build on. I think I fixed the loading. not sure what was causing that, but I removed the sitelock code. as for the freezing I havent encountered that yet, so if you see it again let me know.

as for the turn based it does feel really sluggish, but most of the RLs I have played have had turn based with the enemies. If you do them all at once how do you keep them from pathing into each other. ( Even though they can pass through each other here at the moment) Would speeding up their movement into spots speed it up?

and as for the Skills. they are really not that great. I thought they would be much more useful then they are. Mostly I find myself just looking for where a hero will be and waiting them to walk into my path, then pouncing. I wanted something in there to make the game a bit fun, but the skills are giving me a hard time.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 07:08:27 PM »

yeah you should at least have them move as fast as possible, because it feels so sloggish.

and your game still doesn't load in firefox. I tried on chrome and it runs fine, even disabled my add-ons in firefox and still nothing.

and every time I play it won't let me move. sometimes I can only move one direction, sometimes 2. sometimes none. for example right here: http://i.imgur.com/VkgSicV.png

I can only move left, and when I get to the end I can only move down or right.
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 01:00:25 AM »

I find it funny almost how one guy will go tearing down one hallway of the dungeon after spotting me, and the others will wonder "Well what was he running from?"

Ant
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 04:37:00 AM »

Yeah the only thing that worked for me was waiting around a corner and hoping the peasants went the right way into my gaping maw. What would help a lot is if you could choose exactly were to place traps so there is more of a sense of guiding the scummy heroes towards you.

oh and the game wouldn't show on chrome or internet explorer, had to use opera
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 04:51:59 AM by caiys » Logged
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 05:43:59 PM »

Allen: Not sure whats going on with Firefox. I will have to download it and check it out. Does Firefox have built in Flash like Chrome does? or is it a separate download file.

Caiys: what do you mean by place the traps? Like have traps that the heroes would path to?

Ant
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 05:54:12 AM »

No I mean being able to set a trap anywhere in the dungeon instead of only being able to set traps on the tile you're on. I actually think the traps are the only interesting aspect to the game right now and you could do a lot with them in regard to different types and how they react to different hero types.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 06:26:17 AM »

that could be fun. I would still need to figure out a way to limit it. It might be easy to put the traps in spots that would get the heroes immediately. but now that I think about it. that might be a better idea for a future game (I dont know if there is enough time to fully explore that idea. by saturday).

but just off the top of my head
- Trap Bones
- Mimics (Heroes would path to treasure
- Monster Generators
- Spikes
- Falling walls

Could be a fun idea

deathtotheweird
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 03:22:57 PM »

dunno what you mean built-in flash? unless you mean it comes bundled with the browser, in that case no it doesn't.

but I do have flash and haven't had an issue with flash on any other site on Firefox, but with yours I get nothing.

in the mean time, until you fix it, you should at least have a direct link to the swf file so people who have trouble like me can play it.
Justsometoast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 11:28:31 AM »

This is a really cool little game. The concept is pretty neat. I found myself playing it for way longer than I meant to.

I actually like the turn based system. It's only sluggish if you try to play it like an action game. Its more of a fast paced strategy game than a slow paced action game to me.

Keep it up! With a little polish this game can be great!

TestTrek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 05:29:06 PM »

okay game, just wished the moving was faster.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic