Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411604 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 03:05:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpaceHero Command
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 43
Print
Author Topic: SpaceHero Command  (Read 105408 times)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: January 27, 2012, 01:57:38 PM »

Finally.. I've come up with a name for the game that I like!

Welcome to SpaceHero Command!

I hope it sums up the feel of the game, and gives an indication of the style of gameplay. Smiley

Also, a new addition - the Zog have brought along with them a product of twisted genius. By combining unholy new technology with Zog engineering they have created a cold bleak man of metal.. A robot! Strong, slow, but accurate with aiming, the Robot is a mighty foe! It's only real weaknesses are to Laser and Electrical weapons.

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: January 27, 2012, 03:33:20 PM »

That art style is awesome.

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: January 27, 2012, 03:35:56 PM »

It seriously is, dude.

I wanna mess with the colors though Evil
sabajt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: January 27, 2012, 03:45:47 PM »

looking really good - i love these types of games.

would you mind sharing what tech you're using on the programming side and what devices you are planning to ship for?  shame on me if that's already in the thread but if so i missed it.

♒ben
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: January 27, 2012, 04:42:27 PM »

You're style is fan- fucking -tastic, can't wait to see more cute aliens
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: January 27, 2012, 10:27:15 PM »

Yeah you're devlog is awesome, love hearing your approach and thought process and love seeing your art  Gentleman

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2012, 01:38:36 AM »

Thanks for all the nice comments!  Coffee

Let me know what colour changes you'd recommend, I'm open to suggestions.

On the technical side, it's programmed in C++ with a very cross-platform engine that a friend of mine uses for his games. To be honest I haven't got as far as thinking about what other platforms to create this for besides the PC. I'm just having fun developing the game. Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2012, 11:03:15 AM »

What can you see?

The first version of line of sight checks for revealing the map is now done. This is very rough as it just treats all tile as completely solid or empty. What I will do next is to add collision tiles for the objects / walls as in X-Com and Laser Squad. Then I can use those to make a much better and finer line of sight check for more accurate map revealing, enemy spotting and weapon fire.

Still.. taking shape!

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2012, 02:05:43 AM »

Unlike the graphics, the collision tiles will always be the same size regardless of resolution. This is so you get the same collision results whatever the display settings. I'll start doing some collision tiles today and see how well it works with the line of sight checks. Smiley
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: January 29, 2012, 07:33:03 AM »

Addicted wooooooooow! i love your STYLE!!

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: January 29, 2012, 01:05:51 PM »

Testing out new collision tiles are working ok.. It all looks a bit like the scanner image in Laser-Squad (which is not too surprising as I think those gfx were used directly in the aiming/firing section of the game)Smiley

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: January 29, 2012, 02:34:01 PM »

Fixed a few broken collision tiles and did a quick test with a distance tile lighting addition. It looks a bit more like X-Com and less like Laser Squad now. It's certainly a different feel, but I'm not sure I like it too much..  Shrug

Yodhe
Level 0

Flying Lasanga

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 30, 2012, 12:23:08 AM »

Some ambient lighting, and some softer shading I think will make it look better. I guess it depends on how you want to do the lighting.
I guess it depends on the scenarios of the game, where it is exploring unknown territory, or whether you would have plans of the area beforehand. It that is the case you could have a cartographical representation of the map, which gets revealed as you travel through the map, maybe with a few hidden rooms or surprises where the data isn't entirely accurate.

Anyway as always looking good, and groovy. Keep up with the great work.

Bunker Mentality - Post Apocalyptic Squad Turn Based Strategy RPG - http://www.justanotherturn.com
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: January 30, 2012, 09:40:38 AM »

I think that I will try a more of a fade to black at the edges of a Unit's sight effect and see how that looks instead. You are right about ambient lighting, there isn't any at the moment. Although part of me likes the normal 100% lighting view. Smiley
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: January 30, 2012, 12:07:09 PM »

I'm not sure I like what you've got there, and I don't think blurring will make it any better. I actually prefer the earlier screenshots, and don't think a game of this mood needs necessarily needs lighting (though you can still hide the things the player can't see...)

Scut Fabulous
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2012, 12:29:15 PM »

Have the lighting as a user-option!  I think it looks cool, but giving players the option to switch off or alter features is a mark of quality in my opinion.

Your lighting system could come in handy for making tactical overlays or environmental effects as well.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2012, 02:22:01 PM »

I agree actually. What I have now is that most of your view is at normal illumination while the furthest tiles you can view fade out to black. I think it looks better and more in the style I want. I will have options to disable this anyway.

laxwolf
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2012, 03:23:18 PM »

I understand character-oriented lighting in a dungeon crawler roguelike but it really isn't necessary for your environment. It really doesn't compliment the setting or style either.

Solo artist, modeler, designer, and programmer.
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2012, 03:45:14 PM »

Yeah, personally, if you left the option up to me (which you say you will. Har har) I'd just turn off all lighting effects.
It breaks the visuals apart to much for me.

Is the point of the black to make sure the player can't see what's around the corner, or to inform the player that the selected unit can't see around the corner?
If it's the latter maybe flat black wouldn't be best. Maybe a translucent shade of black?

I dunno bro.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2012, 05:57:07 PM »

I think I agree with peanutbuttershoes. It's a cool effect, but I think that since you're going for more of a 'fog-of-war' type of effect (aren't you?) it would be better to go with a transparent black rather than full black.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 43
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic