Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411578 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 11:18:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThe recurring bad game design tropes parade
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: The recurring bad game design tropes parade  (Read 28326 times)
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2010, 01:02:34 PM »

Computer games are replete with really bad design decisions that are endlessly re-perpetrated. Share one.

* The less suitable a game engine is for jumping, the more the game will depend on jumping puzzles.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:24:35 PM »

*  The chances that the final bosses's pre-battle gloat speech will be unskippable is directly proportional to how long it is and how long you'll have to walk back if you die.
rorkimaru
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 02:21:48 PM »

The more a game is commended for it's difficulty the more the designers will strive to make the sequel easier
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 02:54:37 PM »

* Many items of minor use can be procured by breaking into someone's house and smashing open every container they have. In almost all places this is considered legal and perfectly polite - if the homeowners ask anything of you, it's probably just to collect 3 things they could probably have just bought themselves (although, in fairness, they get burgled a lot so perhaps they're skint). In places where it's illegal, everyone in the settlement will know of your crime immediately.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 03:06:10 PM »

lemon scented:

http://kotaku.com/5499994/hide-your-valuables-its-a-rpg-hero

enough said

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 03:18:01 PM »

* RPG games will always offer the player choices that do nothing. "But thou must!"

This thread is starting to sound an awful lot like TVTropes, hoho  Wizard
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 03:31:19 PM »

*Brown color palette will be use to artificially augment difficulty by hiding important gameplay element in the decor, tricking the player to buy the excuse "it's serious and realist" to hide gameplay shortcoming.

JoGribbs
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 03:35:21 PM »

* Games with enemies that don't need them. I can think of a couple of games that would be much better with their combat removed or significantly diminished.
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 04:17:32 PM »

*The most insanely powerful weapon you carry will be unable to blast through that locked wooden door.

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 04:38:39 PM »

*the more knockback, the more enemies on jumping puzzles

LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 04:48:22 PM »

Heh, yeah I saw that a while ago. Shrug If I'd been the first person who had ever made that observation it wouldn't a trope. Here's another one.

* When the strangely robotic idiot who is following you around stops running into walls and starts running into a hail of gunfire instead, the Universe will decide that it's somehow your fault and that your quest is over. Conversely, if you shoot your "benevolent" mentor (who will later turn out to be the mastermind of all your enemies), the Universe will ignore you, and he will not flinch.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 05:05:24 PM »

*the more knockback, the more enemies on jumping puzzles

*  The more jumping puzzles, the more enemies with knockback, especially over lethal pitfalls

ITS A VICIOUS CIRCLE.
Shambrook
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 07:54:07 PM »

*When the sequel is announced, fans will complain that it's been ruined for ever.
Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 03:28:06 AM »

* the more dynamic lighting effects, the darker the rooms.

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 04:50:35 AM »

* When the strangely robotic idiot who is following you around stops running into walls and starts running into a hail of gunfire instead, the Universe will decide that it's somehow your fault and that your quest is over. Conversely, if you shoot your "benevolent" mentor (who will later turn out to be the mastermind of all your enemies), the Universe will ignore you, and he will not flinch.

"I can't leave without my buddy Superfly!"

* All games will be better with quick-time events!

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
shig
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 06:04:40 AM »

Everything can be solved by gordonfreemaning around.
 Bascailly, this means that whenever you have some sort of puzzle or something blocking your road, just ignore it and do whatever you feel like doing. Just explore around randomly and, since there's always only one viable pathway to follow and end the stage you'll eventually find yourself right where you needed to be. Alternately, push all levers and shoot all explosive barrels undiscriminately and you'll eventually find that whatever was blocking your path ten minutes ago isn't there anymore for whatever reason.
 The most notable examples are, obviously, in the Half-Life series.
noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 06:21:17 AM »

*  The chances that the final bosses's pre-battle gloat speech will be unskippable is directly proportional to how long it is and how long you'll have to walk back if you die.

Related (well, kinda):
* The difficulty of a boss is directly proportional to the length of the dungeon, the number of save points that should be there but aren't, and the unexpectedness of the boss fight.
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 10:25:08 AM »

* There must be a driving section in every FPS, a sliding block puzzle in every adventure, and a slippy-slidey ice world in every platformer. These will not be cut during development, no matter how annoying and incongruous they are.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2010, 10:39:25 AM »

* There must be a driving section in every FPS, a sliding block puzzle in every adventure, and a slippy-slidey ice world in every platformer. These will not be cut during development, no matter how annoying and incongruous they are.

...I'm putting a slippy slidey ice world in my game

I'm a terrible person.   Sad
Well, except that it won't be slippery.
salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 11:05:57 AM »

*Tedious fetch quests right before the last level of any game that involves revisting multiple past levels. These are occurring more and more in new nintendo games.

[rant]
I don't get the rationale behind these. They don't really extend the game in the eyes of critics, since they are considered tacked on. Their only purpose seems to be to aggravate the player and screw up the pacing of the game.

[/rant]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic