Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 02:51:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamessuper mario 64-likes of the past 5 years?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: super mario 64-likes of the past 5 years?  (Read 24417 times)
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2014, 12:34:50 PM »

it wasn't a derailment. chill out and have a merry christmas.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 25, 2014, 12:42:33 PM »

Well all rare music sound the same Who, Me?

not true at all actually! people just think that because there isn't a lot of other videogame music that sounds like dkc and banjo music. dkc and banjo both draw from the same jazz/blues/country/gospel pool of inspiration but sound markedly different (different composers too!). plus the whole idea of banjo is to put a couple of themes into different musical contexts (which makes it almost kinda sorta a little like jazz lol).

Also I would like to see your opinion on conker bad fur day 64 (not the f*** xbox version)

conker was one of those games i never played as a kid because my mom wouldn't allow it. Tongue i played it later on emulator and thought it was ok i guess. i remember more about the humor than the gameplay tho. the game had some decent laughs, sometimes it was just stupid/lelelelsoedgy/juvenile and ofc most of the pop culture jokes are dated as fuck today. i thought it was interesting that it wasn't very combat heavy and there were no standard enemies. made it feel even more like an adventure game than the other rare n64 platformers.

i have a love-hate relationship with rare's sense humor. feels like for every good joke theres 1 lame dudebro innuendo (candy's dialog in dk64 is just cringeworthy for instance).

what's bad about the xbox version of conker?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 12:54:00 PM by C.A. Silbereisen » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2014, 01:00:49 PM »

Censored and broken I have heard

rare humor where at its best with banjo tooie IMO
It was double take between child humor and adulescent humor and plain satire (the game open on a money gambling game ffs, in the context of the time you could know why it's notable).

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2014, 01:29:12 PM »

I think 3 more characters in 64 ds could have been good if they handled it right. maybe they should have made them unlockable after you beat the game normally as just mario and just had you pick one of them for a single character playthrough.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2014, 01:38:31 PM »

note: Hmm, i might make a humor in games thread. i have found the subject to be fascinating for some time now.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2014, 07:18:43 PM »

I only played the first 1 or 2 levels in Conker, but the humour fell very flat for me. Like Gimym says, the jokes just feel like the writers seeing how much they could get away with. I thought Banjo Tooie was hilarious at times, probably because the humour is actually pretty sparse, and it's so deadpan and grim when it does pop up. In general I enjoy games/tv/movies more when humour is infrequent. For example, I find the show Archer painfully unfunny because it tries to make a joke every 3 seconds, but a show like Adventure Time can have me cackling like a maniac because jokes are fairly infrequent and unexpected.

This is how I feel about Conker vs Banjo. Banjo never felt like it was joking at you.
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 25, 2014, 09:37:01 PM »

I loved Conker, but then again I really enjoy crude humour (Tim and Eric has me in stitches consistently).  It was also great as a game because of all the one-shot game mechanics Rare threw in there, like the puzzle (pissle?) in the Rock Solid club.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 26, 2014, 02:36:28 PM »

i've been playing sm64 lately via emulator. my only experience before was with the ds port, and boy howdy the n64 version is leagues better. yeah the ds version looks better and has a better camera, but the addition of yoshi, luigi and wario destroys it. whose fucking idea was it to have you start out as yoshi? the game was perfect as is, they could've just released it with the new graphics and camera but nooooooooo. fuck. it makes me so mad.

I have a question: Who forces you to play as Yoshi/Luigi/Wario? IMO great addition. Who wants can play as Yoshi/other characters, who doesn't want doesn't have to. IMO they should do Wii U remake.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 26, 2014, 02:47:31 PM »

I have a question: Who forces you to play as Yoshi/Luigi/Wario?

wat
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: December 26, 2014, 02:57:13 PM »

Don't some things that are required for progression demand that you use the other characters? (not to mention having to unlock Mario before you can even use him)
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2014, 03:35:06 AM »

A few of the stars are redesigned so that they can only be obtained with specific characters. Most notably, invisibility is now a Luigi-only item and Metal Mario is restricted to Wario.

You can't beat the game without using all the characters.

Does Fez count as a 64-like? Now that I think about it, it has a non-linear level structure with a large number of non-sequential collectables. That might make it the most modern 64-like.
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2014, 04:05:09 AM »

Calling Fez a 64like would be a stretch, but the similarities are there.

Also Mario 64 DS isn't necessarily better than the original, but I really enjoyed playing it. I appreciate that the developers gave you a new way to play and added more content, instead of just porting it with updated textures (like so many 'remakes' do today).
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2014, 02:18:34 PM »

that's how i prefer most of my ports.

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2014, 05:14:35 PM »

holy shit the factory boss in dk64 is terrible. im honestly considering quitting the game over this.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 28, 2014, 06:29:30 PM »

Let me guess you lost it when he became invisible, right?

My first reaction in reading that was what? Then I remembered that you are not as twitchy as a gamer and DK push all aspect to hardcore. The boss is rather predictable IMHO and thus easy, it became just an endurance test at the end as the timing get rough.

Tips the boss as only 3 patterns and the same tactic work in all of them: jump toward the boss until he stop (croassing his path under him) so you stay close to platforms edges and go back and forth (mostly in the second and 3rd pattern). If you can stand the wait time, just let you fall into teh abyss it cost nothing but reset the boss pattern (so you don't have to redo everything from the beginning by losing all energy).

I found teh visual and animation stunning there lol

But it also show how heavy the controls of rare game are contrast to mario 64, mario allow you to react quicker with more precision and be more daring overall to deal with similar situation, rare games works best as exploration 'puzzle' (pun intended) than twitch platormer.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 28, 2014, 06:43:55 PM »

jump toward the boss until he stop (croassing his path under him)

yeah i realized you could do that right after i posted this lol. im bad with these things sometimes. i played through a few demons souls levels not knowing you could sprint for instance.  Embarrassed

thanks for the tips, will try them tomorrow. right now its time4bed.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 29, 2014, 04:54:11 AM »

ok im finally done with that boss

i guess what annoys me is that the boss is so twitchy when the rest of the game isnt very execution heavy at all (it also doesnt have the best controls)
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 29, 2014, 11:32:44 AM »

Hint: I didn't get the 102% either

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 29, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »

haha i don't intend to 100% the game

anyway i also ordered rocket robot on wheels which ive never played. choo choo cant stop the collectathon train
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 29, 2014, 04:52:36 PM »

The final boss for getting all the keys is a must-play for DK64, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic