Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411641 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58449 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 04:09:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignNeed Advice for Game Menu
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need Advice for Game Menu  (Read 1717 times)
bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2011, 07:58:32 PM »

Ok, so I'm creating a car race game with flash. The game has option to customize your car. Now here's how I did it:

As you can see in the diagram, I can only show 5 option in a menu at a time and I also need to group/categorize the option. But there are up to 4 level of menu in which I feel too much.

So, what do you think? Should I keep it that way or I need to rework it to reduce the menu depth?
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 12:43:52 AM »

I think the biggest thing you should fix is merging "car select" with "car" and putting the other options in a "Customize" category. That way, the base menu will have "Race", "Car Select", "Customize" (including the tune up/pimp options) and "System". Having that many options selectable from the "car" menu defeats the point of having a base menu.

leonelc29
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 01:40:54 AM »

i don't think it will be too much for a car customizing menu, i mean, you're customize a car, CAR! It would be less if you're customizing your RPG character clothing or appearance. But still, it really depend how much depth you allow the player to customize.

and agree with SundownKid, you should add 1 more base menu.

but i think you should look at some racing game like GT or something so you can get some overview how it will work.
bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 03:47:29 AM »

i don't think it will be too much for a car customizing menu, i mean, you're customize a car, CAR! It would be less if you're customizing your RPG character clothing or appearance. But still, it really depend how much depth you allow the player to customize.

and agree with SundownKid, you should add 1 more base menu.

but i think you should look at some racing game like GT or something so you can get some overview how it will work.
@all : thanks  Smiley
I see, I think I'll just move the "select car" , "tune up car", and "pimp up car" to the base menu(there are 2 free slots after all).
Actually, the game is mostly inspired by NFS Underground.
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »

Don't racing games usually have a lot of menus? Your game won't feel out of place.

But the less menus, the better.
Sankar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 08:22:45 AM »

I don't think it has many menus, as said before, I usually expect a more "In-depth" racing game to have many menus and tweak settings.

bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 08:15:24 PM »

Don't racing games usually have a lot of menus? Your game won't feel out of place.

But the less menus, the better.
Yep, that's what I'm thinking.
Still, you guys are right, even though this is a flash game, a car racing game with full modification option can be expected to have a "deep" menu level. As long as the menus are kept organized, and not confusing the player.
HyperEXTurbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 09:50:13 AM »

if you don't plan to have a lot of cars in the game, I suggest putting all the cars in a single line-up and have players choose a car first. After confirming a car, a small menu should pop up asking to Race or Customize. Customize would contain both Tune Up and Pimp Up and those menus are left as is. Seems less of a hassle when you have all the cars lined up instead of choosing the manufacturer first.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 04:21:20 PM »

If this is really NSFU inspired, then wouldn't each menu system be a completely seperate entity, available at different points in your map? You don't just pull over, pop open a menu, and magically "tune up" your car; you take it to a parts place where you can tune it up. Same with pimping and even acquiring new cars. Wink

Your "world map" ideally IS your menu system. (That is, if you're going for a real NFSU vibe!) Your "car" on the other hand, should just be a string of variables that refer to the proper stats and sprites.

bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 04:32:49 AM »

if you don't plan to have a lot of cars in the game, I suggest putting all the cars in a single line-up and have players choose a car first. After confirming a car, a small menu should pop up asking to Race or Customize. Customize would contain both Tune Up and Pimp Up and those menus are left as is. Seems less of a hassle when you have all the cars lined up instead of choosing the manufacturer first.

The problem is, I do planning to put a lot of cars.  Wink

@baconman:
I don't think I get your point right. Do you mean instead of menu, I should create a map so player can explore the map to do upgrade and stuffs? I played NFSU but the game also use normal menu.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 07:06:44 AM »

It was actually in NFSU 2...
HyperEXTurbo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 07:10:51 AM »

You sure you wanna do something as elaborate as NFSU2's "menu" system?

and since you do plan to have a lot of cars, the menu you have now is fine
bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 06:08:43 AM »

You sure you wanna do something as elaborate as NFSU2's "menu" system?

and since you do plan to have a lot of cars, the menu you have now is fine
I guess not, it will get too complicated(for me to do that in flash). I guess I'll just stick with an ol' reliable menu system. I've change the menu so the base menu have the 'Race', 'Select car', 'Tune Up Car', 'Pimp Up Car' and 'System'...  Blink :blink:I don't know, but I do feel it's not well organized that way... I think I'll just stick with the first design...
Oh well... work work work..
Thanks all  Gentleman
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic