Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 02:12:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignA puzzle game, trying to work out the design
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A puzzle game, trying to work out the design  (Read 1302 times)
Xeeko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 11, 2011, 05:47:47 AM »

Hi

I'm working on a puzzle game, and the premisses I've narrowed down to so far is the following:

There are 4 different kinds of blocks, let's call them red, green, blue and black. "Collecting" five of them in a row makes you "go up a level", the object of the game is to reach 12 levels. you are scored in a chain, 10p, 20, 30, 40 and finally 500p for each block in a row you collect. For example, collecting a red block while in the middle of a "chain" of blue breaks the blue chain, and starts a new one with red. Collecting a black one breaks the chain and gives you minus 10p.

The problem I'm having so far is exactly how the game is played out. I want it to be a static screen, but I'm stuck in trying to come up with a good idea for how the collecting is done. Should the user click on them, if so how are they spawned? I wan't there to be some kind of logic to figure out, or pattern to try and decipher, rather then say having the block pop up randomly on the screen and having the user just trying to collect them as fast as possible. I want the challenge to be similar to that of for example Bejeweled Blitz in that there is a time pressure to work against, but there is a clear element of tactics as well.

Anyone have any good ideas?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:57:49 AM by Xeeko » Logged
Xeeko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 03:17:45 AM »

Hmm, an interesting idea, definately. Negative points isn't a necessity:) I'm prototyping the game in a "from the side view" though, but perhaps I should break that... I'll play around and see if something like that would work. Thanks for the input!
Xeeko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 05:08:46 AM »

Hmm, I've been trying, but I can't really get a maze to work with the rest of the artistic expression of the game, or the general layout. I'll post some pictures later tonight of how the game looks, and you can see.
Xeeko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 06:12:43 AM »

Here's some quick layouts of the game. One thought is to have the environment in the background change a little as you go up in levels.

Example of the layout

Example of the layout with "blocks"

Like I said, I'm not sure how they should behave. Spawn? rain from the sky? Collect as a platform character? If created as a maze, how would that be created? It.s a side-view.
Xeeko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 07:00:32 AM »

That I have tried, but is that a fun game?
Xeeko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 05:56:06 AM »

I have a design that I'm pretty satisfied with now. Thanks for the input. I will post the game when it's done:)
Xeeko
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 06:04:17 AM »

Haha, unfortunately no, but it was a good idea, might steal it for a future game;)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic