Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411643 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 09:11:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignBalancing an RPG
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Balancing an RPG  (Read 2378 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: August 13, 2011, 04:57:25 PM »

so I was hoping you guys could help me out. I am trying to balance an RPG game. This is the main problems I am having. first give it a try here. Right now I am trying to balance all the stats, so I wrote down my list of enemies and then wrote down a list of how many hits they would require. My game is basically one small chunk of an RPG. imagine playing an RPG to the first boss only. the main problem I am facing now is that there is no monster progression. as you level up monsters do not get harder. you fight the same monsters throughout keep in mind you fight like 11 guys and then the boss, not a huge time sync. so what do you think I could do. some ideas I had are

1. leveling up only increases health not attack power.
2. leveling up does not make you stronger or add health, but does heal you completely
3. make all levels of enemies available, like in desktop dungeons, you don;t attack them unless you think you can win.

Bursar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 12:18:36 AM »

You could make it work in a similar manner to an MMO. As you gain levels, attacking lower level mobs gives you less experience. Eventually you are so many levels beyond them that you get no XP at all.

Ofcourse this does require a method of picking appropriately levelled mobs for the player to fight. It would soon end in frustration if you got a whole string of low level mobs that did you small amounts of damage, but gave you no reward for killing them.
Feral_P
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 03:38:59 AM »

So are you planning on the final game being very short, or is this just a prototype? Because if you want the game to be only 12 fights long, I'm not sure why you'd need any real XP system at all. If it's going to be longer, then I'd implement the 'monster progression' first, only worry about balancing much later.

EDIT: OK, I actually played the game, and you can ignore what I put above, since it doesn't really apply...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic