Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 04:03:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)The "rough painted" look in video games?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The "rough painted" look in video games?  (Read 5247 times)
ChevyRay
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 03:38:41 PM »

Making a game with something like this in mind right now, hoping to have a nice promo piece done in the next few days, I'll drop in and see what you guys think.

the problem is that when everything moves, it starts looking a lot less pretty because it loses the "blending together" quality, and it tends to look like paper cutouts

Hmm yeah, I think this is definitely a legit concern, having too much of a painted style that doesn't animate properly would really break immersion as all the assets could easily "break" apart, resulting in that paper cut-out look.

Wonder if I can achieve an immersive enough environment/characters and avoid this problem.

EDIT: fuck you Chrome spell check, "immersive" is a word.
eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2011, 03:29:39 AM »

Odinsphere had quite a rough painterly style in 2d, but as mentioned, cut-out effect becomes apparent, but it was most likely just embraced rather than avoided.

And as to 3d, look towards a ton of stuff in world of warcraft, their texturing style is quite painterly and rough, the rough style did not travel over to the game as a whole though, and while it retains a painterly look, it is a clean painterly look:

Jeltron
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 05:22:48 AM »

I think the reason is that it doesn't have the same effect in motion.  If you were going to make a painting like that move, you'd either have to change the brush strokes for every frame or have the brushstrokes individually animate frame by frame as a character moves (probably way too much work) Odds are you'd end up with something that looks like a Scanner Darkly or this video:

(nsfw nudity)

brothers74
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »

rough painting style REALLY hard to do for one picture, imagine thousands of moving sprites!! years it would take!!

we rescued breakfeast

the dick that wouldnt die finised
eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 04:01:50 AM »

rough painting style REALLY hard to do for one picture, imagine thousands of moving sprites!! years it would take!!

Painting something rough is not something that takes more time or effort Tongue

It's just the effect of focusing detail where it is needed, and being rough with the rest, it is often utilized to save time, hence why you see it more often in concepts rather than something finalized and clean.

brothers74
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 09:40:44 AM »

if you think its all effortless go ahead and make a game w/ paniting style, wed all love to see one

we rescued breakfeast

InkBlotBunny
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 10:45:46 AM »

It's not effortless but it's easier then a lot of other styles. Thats why it's used for making concept art before spending time making the final graphics in games and movies.
brothers74
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 11:06:08 AM »

umm okay? i dont see where i implied rough paniting was more difficult than noraml paint

go make a game bro

we rescued breakfeast

herror
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 06:03:40 AM »

I don't share the same concept of 'rough', I think.

In fact the pics and styles mentioned in the thread looks way too overpolished for me...

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic