Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411572 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 10:42:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesOuya - New Game Console?
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 94
Print
Author Topic: Ouya - New Game Console?  (Read 175624 times)
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1340 on: June 27, 2013, 03:28:53 PM »

Google developing Android console

This, right here, is the real competition for the OUYA. (and by extension, a major competitor to the low-cost console market)

The OUYA managed to get a really excellent exterior design, and some decent engineering for its internals. But it's software infrastructure is still a bit basic and weak. And it's controller design leaves something to be desired.

A company like Google could afford to pay for great exterior design and stable internal engineering. They could also afford to get a really excellent controller produced for such an effort. Most importantly, Google could absolutely rock the back-end infrastructure and software for such a device. Rock it like a hurricane.

The OUYA has managed to prove that there is demand for such a device. Google would stand a chance of perfecting this approach, and providing a really kick-ass back-end service for it.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1341 on: June 27, 2013, 04:23:28 PM »

Got mine in the mail. It's SO TINY. Like, the controller is twice the size of the console. Crazy! Controller feels really good except for the d-pad, which is too soft and squishy for my tastes. Hopefully I won't have to use it too much. I hear you can use a PS3 controller with the thing, though? Maybe I'll just do that instead. Haven't actually gotten a chance to play yet, just unboxed it.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1342 on: June 27, 2013, 04:33:04 PM »

Controller feels really good except for the d-pad, which is too soft and squishy for my tastes. Hopefully I won't have to use it too much. I hear you can use a PS3 controller with the thing, though? Maybe I'll just do that instead.

I agree on the D-Pad, it is a bit on the squishy side, and not necessarily in a good way. It actually reminds me a little of the 360 D-Pad. (not a compliment) The Ouya uses bluetooth for its controllers, so PS3 controllers are supposed to be compatible with it. 360 controllers are also supposed to work, provided you have the 360 PC wireless adapter. (or just a wired 360 controller) I haven't tested that out yet, but intend to soon.

I put a few of the emulators for the system through their paces last night. The NES and SNES emulators worked just fine. I was quite pleased by some of the scaling and graphical options that were available. I was able to adjust the appearance to my preferences, and it looked very good on my HD screen. The N64 emulator was a bit more spotty, but still capable. It would actually render games at higher resolution, for better or worse. This also meant that performance was a tad bit spottier, hopefully this will be cleaned up in future revisions. The PSX emulator was the weakest of the bunch.
ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1343 on: June 28, 2013, 05:31:04 AM »

Amazon appears to have more in stock. I just checked about a minute ago.

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: June 28, 2013, 09:40:03 AM »

Google wants to develop its own Android console. - http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323689204578571992848684764.html
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1345 on: June 28, 2013, 10:14:24 AM »

Google wants to develop its own Android console.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-06-08-mad-catz-readying-android-console
http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/20/nvidias-shield-android-console-drops-to-299-coming-june-27/

So is everyone and their mom.

At this point, there's going to be so many Android based consoles that none of them will ever manage to get a foothold over the other .. in their rush to get there first, they're going to kill the market before it can even take off.

As far as I can tell, they're all going to have the same quantity over quality issues in terms of game library, unless they do licensing.

I can only imagine how fun it's going to be for developers to have to re-port their Android game to a zillion different APIs and having to test on all of them.

Save us Steambox, you're our only hope.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: June 28, 2013, 10:19:25 AM »

The fight to be the next pipin and jaguar or the next playstation ...
It put stress on nintendo business model as it will truly became the nintendo fan machine, which is like niche among niche

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: June 28, 2013, 11:33:21 AM »

kickstarter gave julie uhrman 8.5 million for a dowsing rod to find a market gap that didnt exist so that every hardware manufacturer on the planet could immediately fill it with turds
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: June 28, 2013, 11:35:28 AM »

samsung issues gladhanding press release in late 2014 to announce that theyve "shipped" x.x million units of unsellable garbage
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: June 28, 2013, 11:37:41 AM »

just kidding they manufacture popular cellphones with hdmi ports, quality refrigerators, and are not holdimg my immediate family hostage for unveiling the seedy chaebol kickstarter tax write off scam
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1350 on: June 28, 2013, 11:39:21 AM »

Gimmy and superb, like two express trains
passing each other
at tanagra

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Rayiner
« Reply #1351 on: June 28, 2013, 11:43:29 AM »

I saw a video from Polygon today and I'm really thinking of buying this thing.
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: June 28, 2013, 11:49:09 AM »

so is everyone and their mom.

Yes, it will be a clusterfuck. I think Google, with its bankroll, can probably win out.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1353 on: June 28, 2013, 11:50:36 AM »

I think noone will win, all these consoles will be more or less compatible, most games will be ported

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: June 28, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »

ouya gonna call? [ray parker jr fans scream back in unison] clueless venture capital investors!!!
ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1355 on: June 28, 2013, 02:48:14 PM »

It'll be a clusterfuck, but that's no different to the android phone market anyway. We have 1000s of mostly-the-same-but-slightly-different phones, and it looks like android consoles will end up the same way.

Detective Immersive Sim Shadows of Doubt | City deck building puzzle game Concrete Jungle
@ColeJefferies
poe
« Reply #1356 on: June 28, 2013, 03:18:56 PM »

Bought one on impulse today.
It's in the mail.

I'll give an unbiased review as someone who bought it for the purpose of android testing
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1357 on: June 28, 2013, 03:45:50 PM »

It'll be a clusterfuck, but that's no different to the android phone market anyway. We have 1000s of mostly-the-same-but-slightly-different phones, and it looks like android consoles will end up the same way.

Biggest difference is that mobile phones are considered a necessity in today's society, while videogame consoles really aren't.  The markets are fundamentally different.  Not to mention the fragmentation between Android consoles and Android phones looks to be much higher, with competing APIs, stores and controllers.
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1358 on: June 28, 2013, 03:47:19 PM »

I'm gonna buy one soon. I kinda like the "open-ness" of it, so us indies can tinker to our heart's content. It's probably decent enough to mess around, and 99 USD is not that much money so most people don't see the price as a problem. Probably in 6 months to a year the app/game ecosystem will be much better as the offerings are slim to none atm.

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
ColePowered
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1359 on: June 28, 2013, 04:21:11 PM »

Biggest difference is that mobile phones are considered a necessity in today's society, while videogame consoles really aren't. The markets are fundamentally different.  Not to mention the fragmentation between Android consoles and Android phones looks to be much higher, with competing APIs, stores and controllers.

Essentially my only point is that this is what happens on android because it's so open. I'm just unsurprised that there are going to be several of the things.

Detective Immersive Sim Shadows of Doubt | City deck building puzzle game Concrete Jungle
@ColeJefferies
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 94
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic