Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 11:31:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsa s p h y x ~ hold your breath. ~ [YOU CAN PLAY STUFF HERE NOW]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: a s p h y x ~ hold your breath. ~ [YOU CAN PLAY STUFF HERE NOW]  (Read 11902 times)
AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2011, 02:49:37 PM »

Not sure if I'm stating something that you've already thought of, but there should be obstacles which can slow down the player while underwater. That way the amount of time spent underwater is not just equivalent to the size/length of the underwater path, but also based on the player's gameplay skills.

There could be underwater brush that can slow their movement. Maybe enemies that stun the player temporarily if you get hit. Maybe gears and cranks that need to be manipulated to open up paths. It'd be interesting to have a part which takes a while to get past (such as some kind of underwater puzzle), so the player needs to keep resurfacing for air as they work on it.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2011, 08:47:47 PM »

I have a wonderful obstacle for slowing the player down, and as an added bonus it's done in a startling, demoralizing, and unexpected way.

I'll probably be adding some more, though, and those are really good ideas!

I think I was always really bad at holding my breath during movies D: I was glad I did not have to do what those people did.

supershigi thanks for the input also :3 I like the likening this to aspects of horror games and now I feel like I have to involve that somehow.

On the topic of real life challenges, I've been considering things like additional instructions that could strain breath:

'Say Open Sesame before opening this door'

I don't think I'll do it but it was an interesting thought.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2011, 06:18:45 AM »

Working on maps, unsure if it's better to have a freeform sort of setup or a more linear path.

Freeform/wandery?

Path with branches?

Path with branches that return to the main path?

Path with branches that conclude in dead ends? (I did this for 100th)

Currently the map has a few paths you only have one chance to take; I'm not sure if I want to promote excessive backtracking but I also don't want to lock the player into a path if that makes sense. hrm
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 06:51:17 AM by Droqen » Logged

Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2011, 09:31:36 AM »

Don't go as open as a metroidvania, but don't be as linear as <insert manshoot name here>.

I think fairly tough paths that lead to dead ends with an easter egg/bonus placed there would be cool. I'm trying to think of a game that does this, but my brain isn't working at the moment haha.

Keep up the good work Droqen, i love the idea of holding your breath in real life to correspond with the game. Hand Thumbs Up Left

RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2011, 10:22:02 AM »

me too, looking forward to playing this! shame I can't hold my breath for shit.. I'll be going the easy route Tongue

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2011, 05:27:57 PM »

I like the idea of the game having many branching paths that connect back together with a minimum of dead-ends. Make some paths obviously more intensive than others, perhaps with different obstacles (such as the "Open Sesame" door). That way the player won't get lost on the way, but there are plenty of opportunities for replay value by choosing a different path the next time.

Also, a timer showing how long the player has been underwater in one go should be added. That way, the player will get a sign when to hold his/her breath and when they can take a gulp of air. Maybe the game delays just a moment when you hit the water as a sign that NOW you need to take a breath?
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2011, 06:13:56 PM »

There's a very visible effect that comes up the moment you enter the water; don't worry about that! A timer sounds like it could be nice, though.

I was thinking about the delay but that gives the player too much warning when I want to be a jerk :D

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2011, 11:58:35 AM »

This excites me in all sorts of tingly ways. I spent two years of life science class seeing how long I could hold my breath because the class was boring and stupid. I got to a minute and forty-five seconds. Do your worst.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2011, 09:47:04 PM »

arrgg

Things are happening to get in the way of this game, and I am letting them happen. This game has been on hiatus for a few days; the breathing platformer will happen -- just, you know, maybe really slowly. Heh. Sorry.

Oh, also I'm going to re-plan the map out. Right now my plan is sprawling out of control and I'd really like to just keep it nice and simple.

Ashkin
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2011, 11:06:28 PM »

I don't care as long as I get a button I can press when I'm nearly out of breath that plays the Sonic drowning theme
RichMakeGame!
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2011, 09:25:42 AM »

scariest. music. ever

Bootleg TurboDrive
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30133
testers welcome: will do playtest swap if you need yours tested, PM
www.richmakegame.com
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2011, 03:40:14 AM »

Who's not surprised?

SPOILER ALERT: This guy.
ant27
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »

Are you still making this game, droqen?
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2012, 07:18:05 PM »

Yes. It has been roused as of ... a few days ago, actually. Good timing.

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2012, 07:39:54 PM »

Might be cool to guage a player's breath holding at the beginning of the game and use that time value for the player's breath throughout. Maybe at certain intervals they could gamble to increase their capacity at "breath stations"? It could remove some of the fun/tension but it might reduce the urge to cheat. Just a thought  Smiley

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2012, 10:07:36 AM »

Things such as that have been considered!

As well, subtler means of detecting cheaters have been considered... but there's definitely never going to be a breath meter.

Frequently it's not even about how long you can hold your breath, just about making you do it and about attaching you to the world. If cheaters do it, well, I have enough warnings saying, more or less, "go ahead and cheat and have no fun". :3

ALSO: The main path of the game is done, but I'm adding branches and all that cool stuff. I'm not sure if empty branches with no real rewards would be disappointing, if it takes some effort to get to them. I might make some little toys to put in a few branch rooms.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:19:49 AM by Droqen » Logged

Ashkin
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2012, 05:12:16 PM »

Toys in the rooms? Take inspiration from Windosill. Massive wreckage that is partially still active, creatures living secluded lives, etc.
86kilobyte
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2012, 05:28:58 PM »

@ Drogen:
btw, do you know that your name means "drugs" in german? Grin Beer!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2012, 05:31:49 PM »

Tis a "q".
Ashkin
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2012, 06:00:51 PM »

@ Drogen:
btw, do you know that your name means "drugs" in german? Grin Beer!
It's because he's so addicting~ <3
Also, q not g. >:c
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic