Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 02:56:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsa s p h y x ~ hold your breath. ~ [YOU CAN PLAY STUFF HERE NOW]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: a s p h y x ~ hold your breath. ~ [YOU CAN PLAY STUFF HERE NOW]  (Read 11903 times)
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2012, 06:20:34 PM »

This is awesome. Now I'm thinking of other things a game could request the player to do (close your eyes? That sounds like a great horror-ish game)

86kilobyte
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2012, 02:22:10 AM »

oh sry, i thought i saw a "g"... Facepalm
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2012, 09:38:59 AM »

This is awesome. Now I'm thinking of other things a game could request the player to do (close your eyes? That sounds like a great horror-ish game)

Murky water (demand closed eyes) + audio cues (so you know when you've exited the water).
Must add.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2012, 07:57:07 PM »

There's no murky water.

There's no music.

There's no sound.

The ending is uncertain.

It's even kind of short!

But it's "done".

(I am considering heavily removing a lot of the non-tutorial text. Please let me know if it's too much.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 08:13:11 PM by Droqen » Logged

:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2012, 08:10:23 PM »

GAAAAAAAAASP Crazy

I eventually drown in that little abyss with the words. Is there a goal? Did I miss that?
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2012, 08:12:15 PM »

There are lots of weird and not-so-weird places you can wind up. :D

Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2012, 08:12:56 PM »

oh darn. i guess i'd better try again.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2012, 08:19:44 PM »

I'M AT A SELF-IMPASSE.

I could leave this for a while, or forever, and work on Fishbane 2 (and BLOCK FUCKER).

Or I could expand this -- and make the levels more nicegood. I could expand upon this concept a hell of a lot! I was afraid to add enemies or big puzzles, because it'd push for people to cheat, I think. It's definitely not a breath-holding championship though!

What to do, what to do

Ashkin
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2012, 08:28:08 PM »

This is surprisingly relaxing. Controlling your breath, a lot like meditation. I am terrible at breathing :c
Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2012, 08:34:41 PM »

I found it way to easy. I got bored with it actually. I thought the idea was freaking cool and could be expanded way more, like you said. When you told me to take a big breath, I did. And when I had a lot of breath left after the water level dropped I kinda thought it was just a cliche, boring, glorified platformer. If I can hold my breath easily for, what I thought at the time, to be the longest amount you ask then whats the point even. Maybe if you added something to do underwater while holding your breath then it would be more interesting. That was just my experience. Maybe I'm just really good at holding my breath.

Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2012, 08:37:39 PM »

I thought so too at first. But then a platform fell and I fell a whole screen underwater. My heart raced a little, knowing I still couldn't breath. I plunged into the depths, struggling to reverse my momentum using any sort of hand hold. and then wooooooo exhaled when I got out.

I've had dreams like this too...
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2012, 08:40:27 PM »

Pemanent, there's definitely a bit of trouble with people having different comfortable breath-holding times, and different levels of platforming skill. I, in strict opposition to my usual instinct, tried to bear on the easier side of things.

Sorry if it left you disappointed (: There are some plungetastic bits near the end, and it's not a very long game.

~

peanutbuttershoes, glad you're enjoying drowning :D

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2012, 09:47:27 PM »

Hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about this...

On one hand, it's a really cool idea, and you've executed it really well. The game is fun to explore, and you've really worked to balance things between the game and the player.

But on the other hand, I just can't get over the air of deception that's on the game. I mean, aside from the end, there's the breaking platforms, jumps that are mere pixels out of reach...The worst was that one timing puzzle, which I have no idea how to solve. I opened all the drains I could and speedran the darn thing as best as I could, and still arrived way too late for it to be considered even plausible. It's one thing to provide difficult secrets, but outright red herrings?

All in all, though, I really liked this game, and I'd gladly put in a vote for expanding the game. At this point, it feels like a really great idea with only a fraction of its potential realized. In fact, I've had so much fun with this game that it's inspiring me to think of other games where I could insert my own "drowning" rules!
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2012, 09:48:48 PM »

I would say: if the game darkened instead of blacking out entirely when you were in the water...

it would be something.

Don't know if better

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2012, 09:54:19 PM »

Ain't no red herrings, Noah!

You can do it (I believe in you)! (btw: you're doin' it wrong. use the tools at your disposal cleverly.)

And thanks :D I'm leaning towards... well, not working on it soon, but eventually? I'll probably release this one as is soonish, I guess, and then revisit? Not sure! I'd like to see/hear what you have in mind, too o:

Hangedman that is some very cryptic feedback.

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2012, 10:04:13 PM »

Actual feedback:

I kept getting sidetracked underwater, and falling down, until it became intolerably long. That, and I couldn't really immediately tell what jumps I could make

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Maxim Schoemaker
Level 1

Bloh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2012, 01:13:43 AM »

Realy!? Am I the only one that doesn't get past the first damn jump... Sad the room one to the left from the room where it says: "ready? X - Jump, Up - Jump, Esc - Drown". There's this bobbing square and I guess I should jump off of it onto the next platform, but it just seems impossible... Sad I really want to continue playing this game. But I can't get past that Crazy

The game looks very good by the way. And the mechanic is fuckin' awesome Gentleman

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 15, 2012, 03:12:27 AM »

This is awesome. Visually it looks great and has a really charming feel to it, and the idea of holding your breath coupled with the level design worked really well; a few nice little puzzles in there too.

I found myself actually panicking when I fell through an unstable platform and dropped 2 or 3 screens deep into water! Simple idea, but really effective at connecting the player to the game Grin

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2012, 03:54:13 AM »

I broke it. I got to the "curiosity has it's bounds" room, drowned (because it's a dead end), and was sent to the menu. When I selected play again, it spawned me back in that room. (On the left side, in a small hole)  After this happened a couple times, I chose to drown standing right above that hole, and then it freaked out.

It was flashing between the first screen ("a game by droqen") and a blank pink screen, with my head in the bottom left corner. I could see a large faint circle where I was but at both the top and bottom of the screen.

I did some testing, and I was at the top left of the screen, bobbing up into the screen above it then falling back down. (I assume it spawned me at the first screen at 0,0) I could move left and right and moving to the center made me fall down the beginning screen. Turns out the screen is flooded, but the open air screen to the left isn't. The rest of the game was normal aside from the high water level. (Which was at the border between the two screen I was spawned at, or probably also 0.

The bug is reproducible.

TL,DR: I wrote way too in depth to a bad warp.

(Also it might not be a dead end normally, there was a drain down there I couldn't activate.)

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it was the bad spawn that must have broke the warp, so just one bug.

EDIT2: @Maxim Schoemaker: Just jump into the water then jump out.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 04:01:48 AM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2012, 10:09:19 AM »

Bug fixed; thanks, mokesmoe! :3
Although, that water thing sounds pretty weird.

Glad you panicked, Claw! Mission complete.

Maxim: Listen to mokesmoe :3 That block is not where you should be jumping from x3

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic