Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411646 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58451 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 15, 2024, 09:19:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHERO LIFE - the harvest legend of crossing animal moon
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: HERO LIFE - the harvest legend of crossing animal moon  (Read 3184 times)
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2013, 03:39:17 PM »

HERO LIFE

What is it?
A zelda/harvest/crossing inspired explorer game where you own land and set out to find valuable items in dungeons to sell to traders to purchase tools/furniture/seeds that in time help you to explore bigger and scarier places.
Main goal, EXPLORATION.

This devlog will be my gif/info journal.  Panda
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 05:46:07 PM by kitheif » Logged
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 04:03:57 PM »

For weeks now I was making concepts for a big 3d lowpoly mobile fantasy island game where you have a customizable homestead with land for whatever (farming/fences,stuff) and make tools to help aid your journey throughout the island.

I found out quickly.. I can't use Unity for shit. I spent most of the time drawing pictures and setting up my tools/workplace.

The thing is I loved the design I was going for. It was very ambitious (especially in 3d, jesussss..) but if setup modular I could add more and more to it as I go without breaking anything horribly! What's so inspiring is that I can have a dream.. and recreate that dream within my game so other could share my experience. The thought of a world where everything's story and design comes from my own mind makes me so happy.

I like weird stories within games.. especially environments that can tell history about itself! Why label dungeons DUNGEON1 and DUNGEON2 when I can give it a strange title like WHISPERING WOODS or something that locals call and make ancient signs inside that give short riddles about the place.. or even weird events that have tiny ass chances to happen so at least one person who plays the game shits himself..  Creative thangs like that are key.

But back to the issue, I wasn't getting results. That's when I decided to go back to my happy place. I grew up with game maker, making small prototypes and random sprites/tilesets often. I told myself that if I could setup this concept with game maker that I would go fully loaded. I started working on it around 8pm until 7am and learned way more than I expected to.. Who knew you could program with more than just the if statement  WTF
As sad as it sounds, I never experimented with arrays or loops before but I went for it and figured it out pretty damn quick without needing any tutorials  Smiley

I currently have the following:
-Sweet animation (Mirrors xscale, so I don't have to copy the right facing images and mirror them)
-Pixel perfect collision movement
-Array for currently equipped items
-Array for the player's inventory
-Hud display for the currently equipped tools
-Hud display for Inventory when opened

Each item has their own "ITEM USED FOR YEP" information, so I'm going to get that displayed on there.  Hand Thumbs Up Right
I should probably setup a cursor to movement on the inventory grid to equip tools or drop them.  Hand Thumbs Up Right
I like the idea of items sitting on the ground when you drop them! So if you want them gone you have to sell them or toss them in the ocean or something LOL.  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Oh and a control array, I need to let people pick their own controls.. I hate default shit.

Let's see what happens!

EDIT:

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 07:31:15 PM by kitheif » Logged
RyanHuggins
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 06:56:39 PM »

Love the subtitle and the idea behind the game.

Hope everything goes according to plan, but my question is are these custom tiles?

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »

@RyanHuggins
Yeah they're all me.
I was trying to recreate that gbc zelda look.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 10:46:45 PM »

Following.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Conker534
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 11:08:28 PM »

Pretty cool, definitely following the progress.
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 01:38:46 AM »

Sweet guys  Coffee

Spent the day coming up with some designs for the world and environments.
Also characters, this is a lot of fun!

For example: A town where their culture is to always wear masks outdoors, and when indoors the face is preferably covered such as nowadays with parts. When a child is born a parent must travel through the "Forest of Life" to a sacred stone where they rub ink on it and press paper to it. This leaves an image that can be folded and carved into wood. This is the child's new face.

(googled examples)

The more swamp like parts of the forest though have a bit more darkness to them. You could consider the water to be a graveyard for villagers who pass away. (floaty bits and dark colored water)

This gives me options.. I can create a spirit temple where the restless ghosts manifest their stress and anger into unwanted figures. Maybe possessing roots and attacking those who come in?
Leaving children faceless and socially unacceptable  Shocked

.. well we'll just have to wait and see  Noir
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 01:47:05 AM by kitheif » Logged
poe
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 09:35:17 AM »

Looks cool, following! Good title.
Alce
Level 0

Twitter: @Alce_X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 03:57:24 PM »

Love the idea! I never really got into Animal Crossing because most of it is based on doing simple tasks, but I can totally see myself getting addicted to something with deeper gameplay. It sounds ambitous though, so good luck!

Aspiring chilean game dev. Likes artsy/experimental stuff.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 03:58:32 PM »

awesome dude Smiley

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 05:03:18 PM »

@Poe & Mono
Thanks guys Tongue

@AlceX
That's where my love for game maker shines, the forum has examples for everything and anything.
Also to combat over ambition I'm keeping the scale of the world down like in the older mobile zelda games!
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 11:55:46 PM »

College and football starting up, really busy for a while.
I'll edit: update whenever the hell I reach a milestone
Conker534
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 12:09:17 AM »

You should keep us up to date, even if its just tiny posts.
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 01:15:16 AM »

@Conker
Alright I will, I just want everything to start so I can see when I have freetime throughout the week to spend.

A note on where I'm at now, I've set up my workplace to be modular as possible just in case I accidentally destroy something, I can go back and fix it with ease.
(when I noticed in your witch devlog that you were hitting your own programming walls, I made it a must to write things better haha)
I've been putting a bit more time than needed into the game's inventory. I'm letting the player drop items and pick them up so I run loops to make sure that the inventory isn't full.
Right now some random wall I hit was that when standing over 2 objects and pressing the pickup button, only one would be picked up. When specified checks started being ignore in the collision event, I feared that it was the core of my receiving item code so time to rewrite that.

Also I started characters a bit ago Smiley (aiming gbc)

Let's gooo.
ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 10:05:48 AM »

Looks cool. I love just about anything Zelda-inspired, so yea, I'm following.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 03:41:51 PM »

@ericmbernier
Thanks!

So the past 10 days I've been miserable with my sport mainly because I wanted something different from college than the usual football and no free time combination.
So I quit.
I won't get into much detail but it's time for me to make my own decisions.
I'm excited to get to work on things that I want to again, plus I can actually spend time meeting people around my school who have similar interests!

YES
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 04:01:39 PM »

whats it being made in? Do like the soft collors you are using.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 04:05:05 PM »

whats it being made in? Do like the soft collors you are using.
Game maker 8, and thanks.
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 04:14:18 AM »

subscribin'

Your pixel art is great!
Purcy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2013, 08:48:30 AM »